1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on the NFL National Anthem Protests

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Sep 25, 2017.

Should NFL Players have the right to "take a knee" if they choose?

1. Yes

32 vote(s)
    76.2%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. To be clear, also, of where I'm coming from... I don't really think the reasons they are kneeling quite make sense, and I'm think it's a bit silly. I can think of other reasons I would, personally, not want to stand for the anthem, but I agree that the whole police brutality thing doesn't really have anything to do with the anthem.

I'm not at all saying that I agree with them for kneeling or that I would be kneeling alongside them if I were there. I'm just saying that they have the right to do it, and I don't see why so many people who are so in love with America and American values are SO upset over someone expressing freedom of speech and peaceful protest, which is an incredibly American thing to do.

I've seen posts from several vets, one of my close friends included, who say that they fully support these guys for kneeling, and they don't feel offended or as if they are spitting in their face. So if they can see that, I don't see why non-vets are getting so outraged over someone having a different opinion than them and expressing that opinion. That's what America is all about... so if you don't like it and want them to be silenced, maybe you're the one who is spitting on the flag.

2. I don't watch sports at all anyway, but this is basically all anyone is talking about right now, at least on my Facebook feed, and it's driving me nuts. Lol

3. I find it annoying as hell. Whatever one's personal politics are, many people turn to sports as an escape and now you can't even watch football without having to hear about politics.

4. I don't think people are saying the players are making a statement against veterans, but rather that the anthem is sung to commemorate veterans so by not standing at attention for it you are (whether intentionally or unintentionally) disrespecting the sacrifice of those men/women who fought and died for the United States of America. The anthem is a song about the American victory during the battle at Fort M'Henry, so it's a song composed to commemorate strength of the country and the men who fought for it (veterans).

This is why players taking a knee in protest during this anthem makes absolutely zero sense whatsoever.

TheLoneDanger likes this.
  5. Runtilmylegsdropoff

Runtilmylegsdropoff Fapstronaut

I'm done. Agree with Jen. And I used to LOVE watching Pro sports. I will burn my Raiders jersey and record on social media. These asshats learned nothing from ESPN. trumpwon.jpg

6. Runtilmylegsdropoff

No one cared about this much til after Trump tweeted about it. So to get back at Trump, they kneel. They could give a shit about the high numbers of Blacks killing other Blacks. I hate the media too. I've hated the media for years even before Trump for their fake news, real news they choose not to cover, and blatant lies and biased liberal bullshit.

7. You should burn the Raiders jersey simply because it's a Raiders jersey. :D

8. Runtilmylegsdropoff

hahaha. Fans like you get beat up at Raider games.:D

9. Will I get beat up like how the Raiders get beat up on the field? :D

10. I mean I agree with you, personally. But I wish more people had the perspective of SuperFan... that maybe they just aren't very smart and don't understand that, rather than acting like they hate America and vets. If there is disrespwct toward veterans by them kneeling, it seems obvious to me that that disrespect is unintentional.

However, like I said, I've seen tons of statements from veterans who say that they have no problem with it at all.

Son of a Bitch likes this.
  11. Runtilmylegsdropoff

Normally I'd get bothered by this comment, but with this political bullshit going on in the NFL, I am glad they lost the other day. Only Derek Carr didn't kneel.

But still yeah, dorky guys like you do get beat up at Raider games, and the Universe is well off because of it.:D

12. Well... that I can agree with. But the same goes for all the people who are now "outraged" about them kneeling. They didn't care before Trump tweeted either. I think many of them are just his sheep following him blindly.

But I don't want to discuss my opinions on Trump here, because I'm sure I'm in the minority here.

13. Agree 100%. I've met veterans who could care less. I've met some who've even said they fought so people could have the freedom to be stupid.

In the end though what needs to be considered is that the players are on the clock and getting paid, so freedom of speech is not protected while you're on the clock. The next question that needs to be asked then is if there is a specific rule by the NFL that requires them to assume a specific posture during the anthem? My guess is there isn't; however, if there is then the players must follow said rules.

14. Runtilmylegsdropoff

Most people who lean right don't want ANY of the politics in Sports. That's the real issue, although I do see how many see it as disrespectful towards Veterans too. I'm just done, and happy to boycott these asshats now. I spend a lot of money on NFL merchandise and watching games to, but no more.

15. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

Do you see the irony in these two statements?

Authors of books and songs have purposes behind them--aka 'authorial intention'. The Star-Spangled Banner represents something specifically. If someone comes along and says, "well, that's not what it represents to me," their opinion has no bearing on the actual meaning of the song.

This is why I think the players aren't very intelligent--at least when it comes to making their point here. They're protesting their flawed opinion of what the flag represents. Meanwhile, the rest of the country, who know what the flag and the anthem actually represent, look at the players, assume the players know what the flag and anthem represent, and assume that's what they're protesting against, to which they naturally say, "f*** the players." And who can blame them?

TheLoneDanger and Son of a Bitch like this.
  16. Runtilmylegsdropoff

As a protest of my own I decided the money I'm not buying NFL merch with I will use to purchase right wing gear. Bought an American flag shirt from Breitbart last night, so I will be rocking that in public soon.

17. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

Boycotts are just a combination of two first amendment freedoms--freedom of speech and freedom to peacefully assemble. Fundamentally, a boycott is no different than a Kickstarter campaign in reverse. Everyone has a right to free speech, but they don't have a right to have zero consequences as a result of that speech. When you choose to take a public stand on a controversial issue, it's going to come with a cost, no matter which side you take. The NFL's ratings are down double-digits from last year, and that's on them ... not on some aggressive, organized boycott effort.

18. I agree. If there is a rule, they should follow it.

My opinion is that if the national anthem is played before each game, politics is already in sports. Personally I've never understood why they even sing the national anthem at sports games. It has nothing to do with the event.

Well if you rip the latter statement out of context, then sure, I see the irony. But that's not what I meant. I meant that people need to stop attributing their own feelings and beliefs to other people and assuming their feelings and beliefs are the same.

I agree, but we aren't just talking about a song. We are talking about a flag, standing in honor, putting your hand over your heart. That's a different thing, to me, but I do get your point.

I See what you mean, and I agree. But anyone with a brain should be able to see that they aren't protesting those things and see what they are actually protesting... you clearly understand this, because you said you don't think they hate America, they're just dumb. I agree. But a lot of people are also dumb and don't have enough critical thinking skills to understand what they're actually protesting and stop assuming they hate America.

Which are the same two first amendment rights the players are exhibiting by kneeling. I have no problem with boycotts. I have a problem with the people who are boycotting because they want the boycott to eventually lead to the NFL initiating a "stand or be fired" ultimatum. That, to me, is ironically un-american of them to hope for.

19. TheLoneDanger

TheLoneDanger Fapstronaut

@CassTeaElle, you make some great points and I'm glad someone mature and level-headed started this inevitable thread.

I voted yes, they absolutely do have the right to kneel during the national anthem, because it is just dishonest and stubborn to argue against that. And it frustrates me to no end when I see people try to rebut that fact. But I strongly believe that the "It's their right to protest" narrative is distracting us from the real issue, the thing that actually has so many people entrenched in their side of the argument and unwilling to listen to each other (which by the way has prompted me to take a 30 day leave of absence from Facebook as I cannot deal with any more ignorance at this point). But the real issue, at least from the way I see it, is symbolism versus intent.

Taking a knee during the national anthem is symbolism. It says, in the protesting players' eyes, that there is a glaring injustice in this country, primarily with the law enforcement system, without actually saying it. But people so quick to defend that form of symbolism need to realize that it goes both ways. More often than not, during these NFL games over the last several years, the announcer specifically mentions the honoring of those who fought and died in the line of military duty when presenting the flag and asking for everyone to rise and remove their caps. Those of us who have been to these games have seen the overwhelming military influence during the playing of the national anthem. Standing and honoring the flag, the anthem, and military is its own form of symbolism. And I'm sorry, but kneeling during a ceremony which primarily recognizes the flag and the military is just bad optics if your platform is law enforcement issues. Regardless of the players' intent, and regardless of how many times they say they aren't against the flag nor the military, taking a knee during this time does more to say "F you" to the flag and the military than it ever does to condemn police brutality or Donald Trump's stupid comments.

So what I'm trying to say is, every American has the right to peacefully protest any issue they deem unfair and unjust. I served this country to defend those rights. But if you're going to use symbolism to make a point, you should probably be more direct and coherent with the symbolism you want to use. Otherwise, it's going to fall on deaf ears (or in this case, pissed off patriots). To deny how their actions look is as dishonest as denying that they have the right to do so.

Deleted Account likes this.
  20. Saying stick to sports is such a bad, bad take. These guys have a platform they worked hard to get and should use it how they see fit. Also sports have always been intertwined with politics, and always will be.
    IMG_5418.JPG