1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Pixar vs Dreamworks

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by LostSon41, Apr 29, 2023.

1. LostSon41

LostSon41 Fapstronaut

I don't use any other social media nowadays so I'm posting this here. I've had an argument about this with my friends, I was wondering what other people's opinions are.

Which is better, Pixar or Dreamworks?

How would you compare each studio's lineup of movies?

What is your favorite Pixar movie and what is your favorite Dreamworks movie?

2. JustinX

JustinX Fapstronaut

Neither. They both suck nowadays, as the whole Hollywood after metoo & blm era. Too much politics and ideology are baked in the movies now. I tend to just rewatch old gold movies done before 2017.

500 and AbTheAb like this.
  3. LostSon41

LostSon41 Fapstronaut

How about the lineups as a whole? I'm not into many new movies either, but what do you think about pre-2017 Pixar Vs Dreamworks

4. AbTheAb

AbTheAb Fapstronaut

Again just like what JustinX, both suck since both of them are owned by the parasites who are out to subvert and keep everyone a mindless drone. And I think they all had their ideologies baked in from the start and not just from 2017. Only few companies control all of the entertainment/distraction business and they mostly come from the same town in eastern Europe.

I think with time JustinX would even see that there is nothing good coming out of Hollywood, the older ones tend to be less subversive simply because they needed to push the line inch by inch. This means the older the movie, the better the ideals in it because people simply would not tolerate it if it was too edgy. Same goes for Spanish entertainment, some of the early stuff were really good and had some morals in them, but they were simply to pave the road for later subversion.

I suppose Dreamworks are more on the funny side and Pixar are more on the deep side with more neat and articulate animation and graphics if that's what you want to know. If they chain me on a chair and force me to choose which one I would go for Pixar.

Miyazaki stuff is probably better than both but they bought him off as well and recruited him to the Japanese lodge in his later life. If you want to get a glimpse of what the above crazy ramblings are about you might want to look up a video called: "On Your Mark" by Studio Ghibli

Restored Rebooter likes this.
  5. Bingles

Bingles Fapstronaut

Pixar but gradually shifting to Dreamworks, it depends on whether they can keep up the quality. Illumination somehow made a decent Mario film so who knows what the future holds for animated films. Western animated films are always a mixed bag of results. My favorite animated film is not a Pixar film but rather a Disney film, Princess and the Frog. Everything about that film is great: the music, the animation, the characters, the story. Pure nostalgia for me. My sister had this frog Prince Naveen plush that would always creep me out. I try to consume less media nowadays but still go back to it.

On an unrelated note, am I the only one that likes to sleep with a teddy bear? I like them, they make me feel cozy and safe.

Restored Rebooter likes this.
  6. LostSon41

LostSon41 Fapstronaut

My favorite Pixar is the Incredibles, and my favorite Dreamworks is the Prince of Egypt, and overall I like the direction that Dreamworks is headed in. I get why Pixar is so critically acclaimed but I feel like most of their good work is from before the 2010s. I think Soul was alright, besides that everything has been pretty lame.

Brain-Police likes this.
  7. Brain-Police

Brain-Police Fapstronaut

Pixar, though it seems like they're finally fucking losing it, which breaks my heart.
    They have a much better track record than Dreamworks.
    As great as Shrek 1 & 2, Antz, Chicken Run, the 1st Kung Fu Panda and the 1st How to Train Your Dragon was,
    The rest of the movies that Dreamworks have released are mediocre, to straight up bad.
    But Pixar doesn't have it perfect neither...
    The black eyes in Pixar are:

All the Cars movies,
    The Good Dinosaur,
    Finding Dory,
    Onward,
    Incredibles 2 (not terrible but it crapped out in the end so mediocre)
    Luca,
    Turning Red was okay,
    Lightyear was fucking awful.

Basically, everything after Inside Out, Pixar has been sliding downhill fucking hard.
    This new generation of directors getting jobs at Pixar are fucking terrible writers and storytellers.

8. LostSon41

LostSon41 Fapstronaut

Have you see the Prince of Egypt tho? Many people think it looks like another kids movie and then are baffled by how incredible it really is. The movie trailers don't make it look as good as it is.
    I saw something on Youtube that was a valuable point about why Pixar has been having trouble writing good stories nowadays. Stories used to be about a rash/arrogant or misguided character that learns a lesson through events/other characters. Nowadays Pixar movies treat the characters as perfect people who are right about everything and the purpose of the movie is for that character to "fix" the system they live in. For example, I haven't watched it but I've read Turning Red is about a girl who's mad at the world while she's going through puberty and she gets to embrace who she already is by the end of the movie. Also, Elementals is about a character who lives in a world that segregates the different elemental characters and I'm assuming one of the elements goes and fixes the system or whatever. And Luca's message is accepting him as a sea creature. Why do we have to have all these modern themes about stuff kinda resembling racism in kid's movies? It's stuff that doesn't really happen anymore in the Western world, I think racism should be saved for historical movies. Instead, I wish Pixar would deal with more inhuman things in mythical worlds, questions like:

Can humans tame dragons?
    What if toys could speak, move, and think?
    How do fish feel when captured from the wild?
    What if monsters were civilized?
    What do rats and bugs feel like living in a human's world?
    What if superheroes were banned?
    What if cars for alive? (although that's a little ridiculous for a 3 movie franchise)

These are all unique premises that bring forward new and original problems for characters to solve. Monsters inc. is kinda an example of characters changing a system, but it's so much more unique than "racism bad" like elementals.

Dreamworks doesn't necessarily have a wider range of quality in terms of movies (Shark Tale is just as bad as Cars 2), but I think they're headed in a great direction with the success of Puss in Boots 2. I'm happy Dreamworks has 3 solid flagship franchises (Shrek, Kung-Fu Panda, HTTYD), and they still seem to have the talent and potential to expand.

9. LostSon41

LostSon41 Fapstronaut

Also I gotta mention that Illumination finally took a W since the first Despicable Me, which is the Mario Movie. It was nothing special, but the fact that it wasn't dogshit means Illumination has some potential in the future. Also, the money that movie's making is insane, they are definitely gonna invest more into Mario.

Brain-Police likes this.
  10. I don't really give a hoot about Either Disney or Dreamworks

But Pixar has Wall-E, so Pixar is ultimately better.