Quitting Social Media

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by SparkySub, May 13, 2020.

1. SparkySub

SparkySub Fapstronaut

Hi everyone, I wanna share this post with you in hopes that it might help you perhaps, as freedom from most aspec social media is already making a big difference for me.

Throughout my time of using social media, especially Instagram, I have been left depressed, considerably stressed and full of self doubt. I argued with people on comments on a regular basis, usually on Political posts and Pro PMO posts. I aren't a hugely political person, but I got bored and got this strange temptation, as someone was speaking against my views or lying about NoFap etc, and I wanted to argue back. Its human nature to do this now. But I don't like this lifestyle, its not me. I keep getting put down, called 'stupid' and 'brainless', for having an opinion, and even presenting valid facts, which knocked my self esteem. I started to think I maybe was stupid and that I should follow what these people do, but then it kicked in. During my last stint NoFap woke me up, I realised these people had a common goal and it was to dig into you, put you down and belittle you, as on social media, they can easily do this stuff with absolutely minimal consequences. They are likely subject to this stuff on social media as well, especially being active in comment sections, considering the amount of times I have received abuse, its inevitable they did too and likely feel insecure and need to regain this confidence somehow. Its also a tool used to sway peoples opinions and mindset, so they can guilt trip and make you believe you are foolish and stupid because you have an opinion. They know fine and well you aren't, but its a powerful tool into making people believe what you have to say.

NoFap has helped me, but there was something else in the equation. I needed to kick it. So I did. I realised arguing over opinions and letting some 'know it all' online determine who you are is just not worth it. I kept YouTube, Facebook to communicate with friends only and browse memes, and that's it. I decided the rest were really not essential and a major drag. I kept out of comment sections on political posts and keep my input for only my interests. I stopped arguing with Fappers, as its not even worth it, they continue spreading false information regardless.

Another issue was with all the women I followed. I was often tempted and it lead me to edge and relapse. Now Social Media is gone, I can't have easy access to anything potentially harmful to my self improvement.

Social Media is not a real form of communicating, its much healthier going out and meeting friends. Its fine speaking to people long distance, arranging to meet etc, and maybe speaking for a few hours on video chat. I wouldn't call that unhealthy, but when you no longer have any interest in your friends you've known for years and it eats up a vast majority of your time, it is not healthy. I lost my best friend through Discord. He became a truly different person. Not someone I like anymore.

I'm the happiest I've ever been now. Diverting more time to useful things, regaining self confidence and not having to feel judged all the time. I have even become better socially. I no longer have to think 'What if this person treats me the same as they did online', I just get on with things now, and pay little attention to people who don't like me or I don't know.

Thanks for reading guys.

2. The Highlight

The Highlight Fapstronaut

Great man. I also Quit socialmedia Instagram, Facebook, twitter. These are the same happened to me so I quit it and focus on my studies.

moonesque and SparkySub like this.
  3. SparkySub

SparkySub Fapstronaut

You made the right call mate. Work and Studying are much more important than arguing over opinions!

4. thinking_differently

thinking_differently Fapstronaut

I am thinking of doing this too. Currently I have conditioned all my inputs to be memes on maths and physics(that’s what I like), and Cars; whenever I see some pictures I don’t want, The Immediate Step is to hit ’Not interested’. So its better to be in a sphere of Studies and deepening the interest there to cut out the interest elsewhere.

5. Angus McGyver

Angus McGyver Fapstronaut

Social media is a toxic poison (and time-waster) that should be kept to a minimum and only be used for what it was originally intended for:
    Keeping in touch with friends and family that might not live near you!
    The only SM I do still have is Facebook and I try to use it as rarely as possible in order to remain sound and sane. One thing I notice every time I log in is that it is the same people who post pictures, status-updates and similar every single time and they also do it multiple times a day it seems. That tells me their lives are probably not nearly as good as the pictures tell.
    More likely the total opposite because why all the status and approval seeking then?

Any other use is essentially a waste of time and although I do the mistake of following something once in a while (that is related to some of my interests and hobbies in some way), those occasions are very limited nowadays, for which I am very grateful.