Rebooting and prostate cancer?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by The Blue Ocean, Dec 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. SyrusDrake

SyrusDrake Fapstronaut

Yea, there's nothing wrong with 90 days. My current goal is 91 days (because it's divisible by 7 and I'm OCD like that) but it might take longer. Maybe 120 (119) days, maybe 180 (182), who knows. Abstaining during the reboot is fine but don't make it your goal to never masturbate ever again. There's no benefit in that and I would argue it could even have adverse effects in the long run.

The Blue Ocean likes this.
  2. No I am stating the obvious. There is the data, there is the analysis, and there is speculation about the implications / possible processes behind the analysis. The speculation is not part of the science and you would be misrepresenting the article if you claim it is so. "Increased risk can be conferred because of the accumulation of carcinogenic secretions in the prostate and prostatic fluid" For this to have been proven rather than conferred the required data would have to be measurements of the prostatic fluids and densities of the carcinogenic secretions compared in the different groups. It would have to be shown that simple seepage of prostatic fluid in the uniary tract (which for instance is a daily occurrence for me and reported by many others) and orgasms through wet dreams (which I never have but others do) somehow dissipates these supposed carcinogenics in a different way than in the group that has sex or more frequent sex. The study does none of this that I saw. Perhaps I read it too fast, or perhaps this was in the referred the studies?

pure-eyes_opening likes this.
  3. The Blue Ocean

The Blue Ocean Fapstronaut

That is nice to know. My current goal is 30 days, but I want to (if I will get that far) have the goal of 90 days or more.

I see. I guess I wont set a goal like that. If I would M someday with intention I have to do i without P. Because P has destroyed me a couple of times, but that is another topic I guess.. :p

4. As you know I do not buy the so called unhealthy narrative to not masturbating. It is not a reasonable assumption nor have I seen any data that supports it. Plus of course it justifies the addicts mentality to relapse. If I could masturbate once every month or less I probably would just because it feels so good. But the problem is very simply: I just gradually slide right back into my old ways. I eventually lose the reboot state. Not immediately mind you but gradually and inexorably I end up back where I started. It's just not worth it.

5. diddykong

diddykong Fapstronaut

I gave up coffee a couple of years ago for a set time, similar to a reboot. I felt so much better for it. When my "reboot" was over I thought that I would reintroduce it as an occasional treat (I'm sure I originally said maybe once a month) and in fact when I started drinking coffee again it didn't even taste that nice. Then it was "maybe I'll limit to just one in the morning" and it really didn't take long before I was full blown addicted again. Now I don't enjoy it but I continually fuel my caffeine addiction and spend my life wishing that I can give it up again.

Any addict that thinks that they can reintroduce their "drug" again healthily at some stage is kidding themselves and has not kicked their addiction, which is precisely when you shouldn't reintroduce it. I'm sure some people do manage it but I think those addiction pathways are so persistent. We all became addicts for a reason and once you start using your "drug" again it's a slow descent back to your old habit (as I've said, I've seen it first hand with my coffee addiction). It's so much harder to then give it up again than it was to restart.

Masturbation is not an unhealthy habit. Neither is drinking alcohol. When you're addicted you have to work out what is less healthy - the habit or the addiction.