1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

tea or coffee addiction

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by letstry, Jan 7, 2018.

1. letstry

letstry Fapstronaut

As far as I know caffeine intake results in increased dopamine production, thus it is potencially addictive. I quit drinking tea and coffee for 2 months now and I had serious headache when I decided to stop. Headache lasted for 3-4 days. Now I read that this beverage is able to reduce aboundance of illnesses by 20-30%. So my question is what do you think about this? Mabe because it is addictive doesnt mean it is bad? like food ? We also get that dopamine rush, but mabe 3 cups is the golden mean? I mean obviously when drunk before midday so you get a good sleep quality.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  2. Coffee affects individuals differently.

I have never heard of tea withdrawals. Headaches are far too common when quitting coffee but I suppose even heavy tea or soda intake can do it.

I don't think there is a golden mean with coffee. It affects people differently. The golden mean of coffee for me is null.

Deleted Account and letstry like this.
  3. letstry

letstry Fapstronaut

Lipton black tea bag (about 2g) holds 50mg caffeine whereas coffee (10grams arrabica) holds 100mg. On average tea has got 2,5x more caffeine than coffee. So why would coffee be more addictive to you? Food is also addictive yet we benefit eating vegetables. Look at this example https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/09/120905083852.htm
    There is more study on preventig many illnesses as I mentioned above.
    I think I will stick to 1 bag lipton per day

4. Can you show a source where that numbers are published?
    I see other numbers actually.

I've quit coffee for 5 days now. Because I know coffee can be a hold for me. So ... in a certain way: it's addictive.
    Every 3 months i test myself how dependent I am to whatever I think I am. That's the only way to see.
    After 5 days without coffee, I don't really miss it.
    But when i allow myself, I normally drink 3 or 4 cups a day. Sometimes also in the evening. My sleep isn't affected by that.

For me tea is the same as water. I don't like it actually. Maybe if I'm finished with the coffee test, I will try to leave tea for a while.

letstry likes this.
  5. letstry

letstry Fapstronaut

https://www.caffeineinformer.com/caffeine-content/lipton-tea
    accualy tea has got even more (55mg, not 50mg as I mentioned.)

I cannot find sources for coffeee but
    arabica got 1-1.5% caffeine, robusta around 2% so it is compareable to tea
    I think it all varies if leaves, or beans are fully ripe or not, drying duration, maybe season.

6. I don't know where you got these numbers but I see that coffee has 4 times more caffeine than tea has. (BTW I drink brewed coffee)

But after all, I wasn't conscious about the amount of caffeine in tea. So thanks :)

Untitled2.jpg

7. letstry

letstry Fapstronaut

If you compare brewed coffee it can be true but you usually put 10grams of coffee for 1 cup and 2g of tea for 1 cup. I'm pretty sure black tea has got much more caffeine. Again if you compare percentage. Tea has got around 3% caffeine in dry mass, arabica coffee around 1,2%

Tea also have l-theanine that improves brain function (I gave link in post above)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  8. Well this is another source (wikipedia). I'm lost :)
    Untitled.jpg

9. Technically tea leaves themselves have a lot more caffeine in it, but when it's brewed after 10 seconds in hot water it gets diluted and loses most of the caffeine unlike coffee beans.

I should know, we love tea. ;)

10. Ongoingsupport

Ongoingsupport Fapstronaut

Don't know the caffeine dosage of either but green tea has theanine and yerba mate has something called mateine or something (along with some caffeine) which does not have the edginess of caffeine alone.

11. JakeO5

JakeO5 Fapstronaut

Try chamomile tea, it isnt addictive at all, and actually helps for anxiety, depression and it calms you and if you have trouble sleeping take one cup with 2 bags 30 min before bed

12. letstry

letstry Fapstronaut

Well Roady, Im confused now too.. I mean It's 21st century and we cant be sure of anything
    Sarah, brewed tea loses most of caffeine? wow interesting. I mean I really need to research this.
    Ongoing, It is caffeine in tea or yerba mate or coffe. It's the same chemical, but there is NOT ONLY caffeine there for sure.
    Jake, I will search for chamomile tea also.

13. Yeah, tea leaves have a high amount of caffeine before they get brewed, after sitting in hot water it gets diluted and you get a lot less caffeine. Which I why I can't have coffee because of the high caffeine compared to tea.

If you chewed on the leaves you'd probably get a caffeine rush. :D

14. I drink tea everyday. I'm not an addict.
    [​IMG]

letstry likes this.
  15. Kenzi

Kenzi Fapstronaut

I know alot of people feel withdrawal from coffee but it's not the caffeine alone ... It's the sugar in combination with the caffeine
    Which is a problem.
    Sugar crash in mixed creamer or the amped beverage from Frappuccino or some other mixed coffee beverages.
    If you just drink straight black and quit, you feel less effects.

letstry likes this.
  16. One thing you can always trust: Your own body language. It's never lies.
    If you have the feeling: this isn't good for me, then lower the usage or stop using it at all.

@Kenzi You're right about the sugar. That's most addictive.
    In the past I stopped using sugar in my coffee (and far in the past same with the tea). It's more easy to stop drinking coffee for a while now.

letstry and Kenzi like this.
  17. Ongoingsupport

Ongoingsupport Fapstronaut

Interesting bit, 8 times is a lot but:

"Scientific studies performed using electroencephalography discovered that theanine decaffeinates tea naturally. If about 8 times more (theanine?) is given (ingested?) than caffeine, the effects of caffeine are completely blunted."

https://www.amazing-green-tea.com/decaffeinated-green-tea.html

letstry likes this.
  18. letstry

letstry Fapstronaut

Sarah, I cannot agree your statements. Consumption of chewed or boiled tea's gives you same caffeine intake. At least not a big difference.
    Thanks for comments. I still think there are more positive effects when drunk in moderation.
    Pure sugar is pretty bad but I think fruits are ok (I'm not sure on 100% but I eat up to 4kgs per day and Im fine) :)

I think we can close. Cheers

19. I can definitely tell you tea has way less caffeine than coffee depending on how long you steep it, and the tea leaves were a joke mate as they still retain the caffeine themselves.

20. letstry

letstry Fapstronaut

yea the longer you steep it the more caffeine you get from leaves, not the opposite.

Deleted Account likes this.