1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Think I've replaced fapping with online media

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by PeterGrip, Mar 1, 2021.

1. PeterGrip

PeterGrip Fapstronaut

I've been spending increasing amounts of time in some mental void, cycling through websites that give me notifications - mostly this website actually, as well as my university site, which will give notifications when there's an announcement or a discussion post in the courses I'm following. They are super dull and not even always relevant, yet somehow I've managed to teach my brain to constantly look for updates on these sites. I think it started when I was expecting my grades to be released from my last exams (on a completely different site) - I would refresh that page between 5 and 25 times a day until my grades were released.

In any case it feels like I have this void in my head and I'd rather try and fill it with this kind of behavior than work on my studies. Just 2 weeks ago I was hammering through curriculum, now I'm faltering :c

Symbol of Peace and Beekind like this.
  2. Always Keep Going

Always Keep Going Fapstronaut

SIDENOTE: (I relapsed at about the same day count as you are currently on, be leery!)

I can relate to the void you are trying to describe, and it is truly some kind of recondite feeling being lost in this void.
    As such, I would like to proffer that the only way to assuage the effects of this void is by a bit more imperious towards your life, meaning conducting yourself in more vital activities such as going outside and exercising, socializing more often, letting loose, relaxing, meditating, etc. I am currently in high school and it is indubitably affecting my academic career. It is further compounded by the fact that I have some solicitude for achieving well in academics, leading to a great degree of anxiety, along with the remains of my tendency to fap which indirectly cripple me on a daily basis. It's painful man, some people can experience clarity daily and not be grateful for even the standard of cognitive abilities, so cavalier to those, like you and me, who are deeply affected by this state of mind. Unfortunately, life chose us to be the ones to work for our clarity. We are leaders mate, we're born with a mental state which is to be developed by our own willpower. It's quite an ingenious quality of life if I have to comment on it myself.

Good luck to you. Hopefully, this will help you see it from a perspective of hope rather than reproach. Stay strong!

3. PeterGrip

PeterGrip Fapstronaut

Was you relapse due to feeling void? Are you talking about 3 days ago?

You are very positive about the situation, I love it! Do you really think that some people experience clarity daily? You put it in a positive light - is that because you think of clarity as being complacent?

I think this void is a result of deprivation. I can't be sure it's without exception, but my memory tells me that every time I encounter it, some sort of relapse is bound to occur - PMO, regressing my diet, neglecting exercise, start smoking again, etc. A lot of negative behavior that was previously filling the void. With the ability to recognize this state also comes the ability to shape your mind - if you can muster the willpower. You are flattering me saying that it is a special quality, but I don't want to be consumed by arrogance - I don't even know how rare it is to be able to self-reflect. I do agree that it is a quality a leader must possess though.

The question that is bothering me deep down is 'why?'. Why should I work for these things? Why not descent into my old, habitual self, which knows pleasures, albeit simple ones. Well - there is an intellectual answer for sure: to reduce your pain by seeing more people, having a healthy body, sharing your knowledge, making something of yourself so you can see yourself in the mirror. EASY to understand. What is hard is making your body follow along. The void is a resistance to this change. When your body has no perception of time, indeed willpower is your instrument in shaping yourself.

Always Keep Going likes this.
  4. Always Keep Going

Always Keep Going Fapstronaut

Yes, 4 days ago now. I surmise that feeling the void was part of what led to relapsing. Perhaps true clarity is, to a degree, an inordinate virtue; most people should have to work for a constantly engaged mind (i.e. clear).

One of the main trappings of changing is conducting yourself to experience the unknown. In a metaphysical sense, you're permitting a weakness whenever settling upon indoctrination (a process nearly indispensable for change). For those like us who know better than to seek transient pleasures, indoctrination is our true freedom - especially under licentious grounds which we endeavor to abstain from. Unfortunately when we grow mournful, our guard gets loose; our mind becomes more labile and favoring towards those pursuits which we use to fill a void that cannot be seen, even though we had spent countless hours detailing how much more auspicious a life of discipline versus debauchery can be for us, I totally agree with you. And that statement was not to bring upon you a hubris impression, far from. It was to remind you to not question the value of self-reflection, but utilize it.

You're merely human, sure. Perhaps you experience a natural predilection for acts of sexuality - it's in our inherent nature as we are animals conflated with a creative sense. But we are also given willpower, and the choice to define our moral ground. You can choose to be an animal, to fit in with the crude world. To admit to mindless pursuits the same way a dog does. To give into hedonism the same way a rat in the lab does. Or you can select a route of hardship, agony, of development, and experience of a feeling characterized with reasonable pride. I claim not to have a degree of profundity worth listening to, but I want to live most of my days knowing that at one point, my limits, whether this is my mental capacity, intellect, wisdom, or marketable skill, will either be bestowed for me by society's hand, or defined by my blood, sweat, and tears.

Sorry for the volubility, but if you are truly in search of a reason to continue your efforts to foreswear transient pleasures rather than merely telling yourself that it is for the better, just know that you are given the ability to say no to what you think you are. This by far is the most captivating behavior known to exist in the universe; it has the potential to do everything conceivable - it can develop a penurious, dying, ignorant beggar to a wise, intellectual, keen monster of humanity. Why overlook this potential to do great, to put a dent into the universe itself?

5. PeterGrip

PeterGrip Fapstronaut

Being compared to a dog does not feel very nice :c even if it is an example used to seperate our qualities from other animals, it is still a part of us. Should that side really be rejected? I'm not so sure I'm willing to let go of it.

You sure have a noble vision, and I completely agree with you - you have potential waiting to be released, and every instance you can choose it instantiate it in the best way possible. Why overlook it? I doubt anyone not a nihilist will disagree, however to make the optimal choice in every situation with regards to every outcome is impossible; rest is inevitable.

The inevitable encounters with the void may be defining moments in improving your resilience. I'm speculating, but maybe, if you find resolve in the face of it, you may transcend it with such awesomeness that that encounter may never meet you again.

I get what you meant about self-reflection now. I feel ashamed - I truly had taken on an arrogant view. And yes, us being leaders is amazing, there is nothing like the power to organize the world in our minds and manifest it by reshaping the chaos around us.

6. Julianfernando

Julianfernando Fapstronaut

Hey man, thanks for sharing!

Here are three questions to ask yourself.

What gives you energy? What brings you joy? When do you feel alive?

Personally my life changed when I stepped outside my comfort zone every single day. When I did the things that I was scared of. Ever since my life has changed radically.

I can relate to what you have written as this mindnumbing distracting from life was what I used to engage in to. But I changed. And it is possible to change.

7. PeterGrip

PeterGrip Fapstronaut

Thank you for your reply. I like those questions. I don't know if you are interested, in any case I'll write out the answers here. But first let me ask: how do you perceive that change you have gone through? Have you achieved a new default state of mind when approaching life, or are you in danger of slipping up if your are not careful? Do you feel that it is truly permanent? I have deceived myself before. I have had insanely productive periods, but I have also made mistakes each time leading to my downfall.

What gives me energy? This is actually a very difficult question. I believe it is very situational, and I just haven't nailed down all the factors in that puzzle. The most potent factor I have experienced is women I think. The things I'd do to impress the girl I love... It's a whole new level of drive inside me. But it is also an incredibly volatile source, and I have had several bad experiences relying on it. What else - getting intrigued by something will wake me up. But this one is out of my control, I can't choose when that happens very well. I'm really do not have a reliable method here that will take me out of the rut I find myself in.

What brings me joy? My first thought is intellectual stimulus like solving hard math problems. It feels amazing. But really, connecting with other human beings is probably the ultimate joy actually, simply because nothing else really seems to matter when I find myself in such a situation.

When do I feel alive? I share your experience here. Rising up to the occasion, facing the challenges head on, taking the choice you know is right, no matter the consequence. Insanely empowering feeling. Nofap is a huge driver in realizing yourself.

8. Julianfernando

Julianfernando Fapstronaut

Thanks for sharing! Similar to you I get my energy from social interactions, stepping into the tension of man to female interactions. I have approached many hundred girls in the last few years I learned a lot in the process. Had many big failures as well as great successes.

Personally I made the biggest shift a while ago when I got coaching. Having had someone hold me to my highest standard and keep me accountable was a game changer for me. Now I am looking to pay this gift forward.

I want to help you with the following three things:
    - Set clear goals for you life
    - Decide on which habits you want to integrate
    - Get you outside of your comfort zone a little bit more every day

If this resonates let's make it happen. My Skype name is Julian Fernando. Looking forward to talking to you.

9. PeterGrip

PeterGrip Fapstronaut

Thank you my friend, it's a very generous offer. I had to think a while about it, but my answer is no thank you. I wish to discover a better life, but I want to do it on my own terms.