1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

TikTok, Instagram Reels, and other Social Media pushing the boundaries of human decency and morality

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by LostSon41, Jan 20, 2024.

1. LostSon41

LostSon41 Fapstronaut

People in my grade of high school have become so desensitized it’s actually made me, an 18 year old American male, disturbed about what’s going on with the gen z. And I’ve always had a dark sense of humor but things are getting bad. For example, in a discussion at school someone I know thought murdering a newborn is okay, since they aren’t really conscious and don’t have valuable enough memories for their life to even matter. Not a joke. Multiple people have told me that drunk driving is okay as long as you take care to avoid populated areas, and you shouldn’t be put in jail as long as you don’t get in accident. Those were also serious responses. What is wrong with us? It’s mostly just boys my age that have these problems, and it’s not everyone of course. But the amount of people who have freak accidents or straight up murder on their recommendations on social media is actually insane. Someone has shown me they only needed to swipe through 2 videos before finding a mass killing through a car accident. How could this problem ever be solved? Why do we think this is funny? By the way, most of us grew up without a high prevalence of dopamine driving technology like iPads and iPhones. So imagine what kids born in 2015 will be like at the age of 18. Our generation is deteriorating at an alarming rate.

2. Jeez, that is indeed scary. However, I still think it's just their immature mind 'cause teens are just stupid (I'm still in high school too and stupidity is real in my peers). It's that phase of life where we could have "fun". Social media is really boosting this idiotic thinking considering how instant various information that one can consume in a matter of minutes. I think it's important to cultivate a filter in our heads to really reduce this kind of flipped up thinking. Critical thinking is at utter importance in today's day and age.

3. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

TikTok is the worse. Apparently, the Chinese version of it is a lot more serious videos on subjects such as science and maths meanwhile in the West most videos are dance and misinformation. It's like the Chinese government is using TikTok to dumb down the West. At least with the other social media companies they're American and can have more restrictions placed on them.

Still, other social media is bad. When I use it I feel angry and want to fight with people. Most of the time I ignore the desire but I have said things that have hurt other people. Another thing it does is affect concentration. I've seen it with family members when I watch a movie with them. Most of my family cannot sit through an entire movie without going on their phones. It's quite something that people can't even concentrate on a movie nowadays. I think it's affected my ability to focus too so I've decided to limit my time on social media to eight weeks a year.

4. Yin&Yang-Yūki

Yin&Yang-Yūki Fapstronaut

Easy solution: delete.
    Make new youtube account, get the algorithm and that's it.

Dutch Van Der Linde likes this.
  5. Yin&Yang-Yūki

Yin&Yang-Yūki Fapstronaut

https://nypost.com/2023/02/25/china-is-hurting-us-kids-with-tiktok-but-protecting-its-own/

6. runninginadarktunnel

runninginadarktunnel Fapstronaut

because people can earn money and attention from controversy. more controversial your content or comment, more reaction you will get. people who like attention or money, make those comments or content to get more interaction. when they get more interaction, they get even more controversial. and someone else realizing this and they make controversial content too. and then people are watching these controversial clips and comments think that this is actually normal. because you can make people believe in anything with repetative exposure. also I always felt like people who are in power doesn't want you to become healthy. call me conspriaacy theorist or whatever but we have seen that conspriacy theorists were right in certain things. I feel like some of these apps pushing those content on purpose. but like I said it is also because anger and controversy cause more reaction from people.

I have a theory and maybe I am wrong. but in the future, people will get way more cruel. like I think we will have torture shows of criminals. because young generation is raising with cruelty. and the other generation will be even more exposed to this kind of things. generation to generation, and I think they will use criminals for entertainment purposes. but like I said this is just a theory and maybe I am just streching it. but watch black mirror-white bear justice park episode. I think it will be real