1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Want to Go Vegan But Mom Disagrees

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by RecoveringFapaholic, Dec 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. RecoveringFapaholic

RecoveringFapaholic Fapstronaut

I want to switch to a vegan diet but my mom isn't thrilled. I used to buy into the cultural stereotypes of vegetarians and vegans being weak and was scared to even try it because of the lack of protein. Well I've been researching more about it and it turns out that protein is not an issue. Plant foods have plenty of protein in them and I eat way too much protein if anything. I want to go vegan to experience all the health benefits. I read the e-book "How to Stop Masturbation" and one of the major points was to go vegan. I find that I'm more likely to have wet dreams after eating a lot of meat. I believe that going vegan will help me with nofap even though I'm pretty far along already.

Some of the things I've learned are that humans are naturally herbivores. Sure, we have canine teeth, but there are plenty of herbivores that also have them. If you analyze the human digestive system, you'll find out that we have much more in common with herbivores than we do with carnivores and omnivores. While it's true that Chimpanzees sometimes eat meat, it's so uncommon that they may as well be vegetarians. Chimps also kill their babies and eat them sometimes. Just because chimps do it doesn't mean we should. It's well known that there's an inverse correlation between meat consumption and life expectancy among cultures around the world. Many of the native Okinawan peoples lived to be a century old on a diet that was almost completely vegan. Compare that to the Maasai people of Kenya who eat a meat-heavy diet. Their life expectancy is only a quarter as long as the native Okinawan people. Nearly half of all cancers can be prevented through a vegan diet. Our culture thinks that vegetarians and vegans are weak and you need meat to build muscle but some of the greatest athletes were vegetarian. In strength and endurance tests, vegetarian athletes (and vegetarians in general) performed better than non-vegetarians across the board. The benefits of plant-based diets far outweigh any negatives there may be.

Here comes the problem: my mom isn't to fond of veganism. Neither was I for a long time. She thinks that carbs are evil and low-carb diets are the only way to be healthy. She gets all her nutritional advice from this one nutritionist online who is anti-vegan. She thinks I'm acting stupid for wanting to go vegan. She kep asking me all these dumb questions like "What are we going to do with all this meat and eggs in the fridge?" and "but what about insert animal product here?" As far as wasting meat goes it's fine because raising and slaughtering livestock wastes a gargantuan amount of resources. She's okay with me giving up things like red meat but not eggs and fish. I explained to her that vegan means no animal-based foods and she thinks that's unhealthy. She thinks carbs are bad even though grains are the reason civilization exists. She gets all her information from that nutritionist and anyone who says anything different is wrong. The truth is that humans are biologically designed to eat plant-based foods and animal-based foods are much more often a threat to your health than otherwise. I was going to make the switch to a vegan diet my New-Years Resolution but I figured out that it's best to get on with it now. I can become a vegan starting a week from today when I get back from visiting my dad out of state. He looks forward to taking us out to eat whenever I visit him so veganism is out of the question until I get back home. Fortunately, I'm an adult now and my mom can't control what I eat. When my finals are over and I'm back home I'm going to the grocery store and buying the foods that my body needs to be healthy. As I'm typing this my mom is talking on the phone to either my dad or my sister about my decision to go vegan. I don't care if my family gives me shit for this. I'm going vegan and that's the end of that story.

2. Menta_Na

Menta_Na Fapstronaut

3. Just

Just Fapstronaut

RecoveringFapaholic likes this.
  4. RecoveringFapaholic

Thanks @Menta_Na for providing videos on this subject. While Ben Greenfield seems pretty knowledgeable from the first video, it sounded like he was slightly biased against veganism. When it came to discuss the disadvantages of veganism, he cherry-picked a few problems and made it sound like veganism wasn't sustainable in the long-term. This is ironic because it is really meat-based diets that are unsustainable: not only for the planet but for health as well. A deficiency in a few vitamins isn't worth the list of negative side-effects that come with meat consumption. I don't have time to watch the second video. I've learned enough about veganism for now and it's time for me to get back to studying. I have two finals on Thursday.

Deleted Account likes this.
  5. Menta_Na

Menta_Na Fapstronaut

6. I'm glad you already know enough to not fall for these videos.

One of the best sources on nutrtion imo is nutritionfacts.org.

It's safe to say Michael Greger knows more about nutrition than a stand-up comedian.

Anyway, I'm sorry about your parents behaviour and I don't think there is much you can do about it.
    The only thing that might shut them up if you stay vegan, build some muscle and then they can't argue with the results.

Don't forget about B12 tho.

7. RecoveringFapaholic

Thanks for the encouragement. As for my family, I've talked about this with my mom and sister. They think it's stupid, but they're fine with me doing it. My dad might not like the idea but he eats pretty unhealthily, so his opinion on the matter is not very important to me. I can easily drive to the grocery and buy the foods I need. I'll have to start cooking for myself but I can handle that. I'll make sure to take B12 supplements as that seems to be the only vitamin that is hard to get through a vegan diet. All the other vitamins the guy in the Tai Lopez video was talking about can easily be supplemented. Besides, I haven't even started eating vegan yet so it's too soon to be worrying about most of these things.

Deleted Account likes this.
  8. Mankrik

Mankrik Fapstronaut

I'm not skeptical, just curious because I have considered going vegan or vegetarian but have not because of the protein thing. Where do I get protein from specifically? Plant proteins? I usually get around 120g a day and not sure how I would reasonably do that otherwise since it comes from meat, eggs, whey, etc?

9. RecoveringFapaholic

120g of protein is doable on a vegan diet. If you're an active guy you probably eat somewhere around 3,000 calories a day. 120g of protein is 480 calories. If you ate 3,000 calories a day that would be 16% of calories from protein. This can easily be achieved through eating plenty of green vegetables, grains, and beans. If you want to eat more than 20% of your calories from protein, then I suggest you either go vegetarian or pescatarian (fish instead of meat). You could try a Mediterranean diet which is mostly plant-based with the exception of some seafood. Although I'm going vegan, I wouldn't mind doing the Mediterranean diet. For some people that may be even better than veganism.

Mankrik likes this.
  10. Do what you want. It's your body and your life. You don't have to justify your diet to anyone else if it's a healthy one.

11. Menta_Na

Menta_Na Fapstronaut

Keyword "if".
    I'm sure i am not educated enough on these things to make the best judgments, but i feel my diet is normally very healthy even though i am a meat eater. i care a lot about what i put in my body, cook all of my meals myself, plenty of vegetables and fruit, low on breads and gluten, and nightshades, and rarely eat junk food or fast food.

However i am sure there is always something to learn.

Funny story, one night i was super baked and i was eating a piece of chicken..... the entire gravity of what i was doing flashed before my eyes and i was horrified at the fact that i was consuming another animal. first time i ever thought about going vegetarian.
    didn't last though i went back to consuming meat and currently am still skeptical about it. i got to do more research on the issue one of these days though.
    what i really want to do is get a piece of land where i grow a lot of food for myself and raise my own animals.

12. Devil's Details

Devil's Details Fapstronaut

I think if you dig into the studies that the articles/videos you watched quote, you'll find that they are comparing vegan diets to people with no diet whatsoever. ie. cake, ice cream, pepperoni pizza, burgers & fries.

You can do pretty much any diet out there, controlled eating will pretty much always beat the shit out of uncontrolled eating, because no diet endorses Krispy Kreme. So if you're currently eating twinkies and Pizza pops, go for it. You'll have some deficiencies (unless you heavily supplement), but it's better than a sugar/salt/fat overload.

Try a search on "vegan diet deficiencies". Even the patroned saint of psuedo-science food religions, Joe Mercola, agrees that you're going to be missing out on a lot more than B12 if you throw all animal products out and aren't very strict about filling in the nutrient gaps. Iron, zinc, calcium, Vit D3 and creatine, for starters. (there's more)
    You'll have to spend an inordinate amount of time focusing on your filling those gaps, which most don't do, hence the stereotypes of weakness, which are largely justified.
    It can be done, athletes do it, but filling in those gaps are part of their full-time job.
    But most people are just doing it as either weight loss or virtue signalling, and don't care that much about getting enough, say, calcium. If you do, more power to you my man, but eyes wide open and all that.

Just throw in a couple free-range eggs a day in there and some milk of whatever animal sounds ethical to you, and you'll fill in a lot of those gaps quick and easy. They're obscenely good for you, chickens and goats don't take up resources anywhere near what cows do, and nothing had to die.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Menta_Na likes this.
  13. I'm a vegan. I ran 50 miles in 11 hours this year. I regularly train for 30+ mile races as a vegan and so do many people. In fact one of the most succesful endurance runners of all time is a vegan. And he wrote a book about it.

Vegans = badass

RecoveringFapaholic likes this.
  14. RecoveringFapaholic

I understand what you're saying but it's hard to decide what to do nutrition-wise. If I wind up deficient in a few nutrients several months from now I'm going to have to make a tough decision. I'll have to decide if the imbalance I need to correct is worth the health consequences of what I'm about to consume. I don't believe that I'm going to get cancer, heart disease, or type 2 diabetes after eating one serving of meat or dairy. Those illnesses are a result of many years of dietary abuse. What I do believe is that humans are poorly optimized for meat consumption. For the vast majority of our history, meat was only eaten when our survival depended on it. Meat is certainly not a necessary part of the human diet. If I need to correct a dietary imbalance I need to analyze the situation along with all my possible choices and outcomes. Is the problem I'm trying to fix worth any possible harmful effects from the solution? It seems to me that you prefer vegetarianism over veganism. That's definitely better than the typical Anglo-Saxon diet from the past century. I've been thinking about doing a Mediterranean diet. The Mediterranean diet would be what you call pescatarian as it contains some fish. Fish that hasn't been poisoned with mercury and other toxins can be healthy. After a while of going vegan, I might try the Mediterranean diet for a while and see how my body functions. I want to go vegan as a sort of "detox" first before I consider any other options.

15. Devil's Details

I'm curious where you get the "humans aren't optimized for meat consumption" thing. You mentioned incisors yourself... Skeletal records show that every single time humans showed up on a new land mass, there was a mass extinction event, and that was almost entirely due to hunting. I'd be curious as to what the evolutionary argument is that we were herbivores.

hehe, I'm not vegetarian although I was what I call a 24/5 vegetarian until about 8 years ago. Rail thin, cold all the time. Put on 40 lbs of muscle to help with that, (and hey, chicks dig it) but that wasn't really possible without animal products. 3000 calories a day is technically possible without eating animal products or unhealthy crap, but not on my appetite it isn't.
    Clean meat isn't unhealthy in and of itself. But uncontrolled diets sure are. There's a world of difference between lean ground pork and bacon, between chicken breast and chicken McNuggets. And you know full well from watching the people around you what they prefer.

I definitely agree that animal flesh isn't necessary these days though, simply because of the relatively new developments of supplementation and the international affairs we call supermarkets. You don't even need eggs/dairy/fish really, I'm just saying it's a lot easier (and when you move out... cheaper!) to stick to than supplementation and limiting yourself to harder to find foods. Seriously. Fuck GNC and Whole Foods... gouging bastards! :D

Mercury in fish is one of the few real food scares out there, but it's easily controlled for. (a quick sign of a fake food scare when you can't find contamination numbers and the corresponding safety levels) Heavy metals move up the food chain, so they tend to accumulate in larger fish. Smaller animals like shrimp, sardines and scallops are very low, though. There's a great calc at GotMercury.org that will help you figure what and how much is safe and what isn't.

Have a great day, man.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2017
  16. Veganism seems to work for some but people are omnivors for a reason. These days I eat way less meat and more raw food but I know many people who went vegan due to it being presented as healthy and fashionable and were instructed to go back to eating meat by their doctors due to mal nutrition or after developing serious sickness. Eating way less meat and way more raw foods is great. Never eating meat is pointless and can be dangerous for many. There are plenty of things you can do to improve your general and digestive health without becoming a vegan.

17. Devil's Details

I would also point out you may have been severely misinformed about the Maasai people. Their life expectancy is far longer than 20-25, and being nomadic herdsman, they have no access to health care or hospitals, unlike the Japanese.

18. RecoveringFapaholic

Yeah I was wrong on that. Although my point still remains that the longest living cultures eat little to no meat. If you analyze the health of North Americans and Northern Europeans over the past century it's a bit confusing. Medical advances allowed people to live longer but the vast increase in meat, dairy, and refined sugars lead to a surge of health problems. It's hard to draw conclusions from that.

Devil's Details likes this.
  19. Devil's Details

Yeah, life expectancy can be a bit of a misnomer, especially in the West, because very few people pay their health anything but lip service. We bitch and moan about free health care, yet we piss our health away like draft beer at a frat party.

But with medical advances being able to drag life expectancy kicking and screaming into the high 70s for men and low 80s for women despite our regressing lifestyle choices, I firmly believe that it's perfectly reasonable for someone that looks after themselves from a young age to expect to live well into their 100s, just because there's so many slobs pulling down the averages.

20. Hey RF,

Glad to hear that you are becoming a vegan! Been vegan myself for over 7 years. Some advice from my years on the diet:
    • Plan your diet carefully. Make sure you are getting all your nutrients. Eat a variety of foods, don't eat just one thing day after day. I made that mistake and my fingernails became brittle and I got the first tooth cavity I've ever had in my life.
    • B12 is important for brain health, but make sure to focus on the omega fatty acids too. Hemp, chia, flax seeds and nuts are good sources.
    • Don't be a junk food vegan. Yes it's quite possible. Vegan butter, vegan cheese, vegan cream cheese, vegan sour cream, vegan meat substitutes... these are good every once in a while but should not be staples in your diet. Same goes with vegan sweets... if you have a sugar craving, eat some fruit.
    • K2 is also hard to find plant sources for. It's more bio-available than K1, which there are a plethora of k1 plant sources for. Some vegans claim your body can convert k1 into K2, but I am skeptical. Anyways K2 is important for bone and teeth health. Might want to supplement, I do.
    Hope this helps, please let us know how your diet is going!