1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is the divorce rate so high in America?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Namekian23, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Kenzi

Kenzi Fapstronaut

And if it wasn't a "thing" you couldn't get customized balloons and buy party supplies.
    There are pintrest threads and magazine articles and shows and it's even featured in movies.
    Divorce Parties. It's a thing. Screenshot_20170819-121301.jpg

2. My parents are married and I'm Christian but there is nothing Christian about marriage. Jesus didn't approve of opulence and materialism, so he probably wouldnt approve of people going into det to throw a $40,000 party when they should be focusing on building a life and improving society. I feel that almost any 2 people who are mature, committed and willing to try to be selfless can make a marriage work. In our society, we are indoctrinated with total bullshit that makes us selfish and discount the important things in life in favor of selfish, toxic or just useless pursuits that don't give you anything of value and do not benefit society. I've met alot of awesome women who want to be married but when you look at their interests and motivations, it's clear they dont have a mindset conducive to marriage. Many men are no better. Most people cant even commit to a conversation because theyre too busy texting.
    New school marriage is a contract between a man a woman and the state. Divorce is a huge money maker for the state because once a couple is divorced, the state can take money from one party and tax the hell out of it. This is why the state introduced no fault divorce. In no fault divorce, one party can say I dont want to be married and divorce the other party for no reason. Since 94% of family court decisions are ruled in favor of the woman this puts the man in a powerless position. No fault divorce and selfishness is a dangerous combination. The first time your wife feels un appreciated or gets upset because you dont meet all her demands or the sex gets boring, she has no incentive to stick it out or make it work. I still value marriage and I would like to be married but given the facts and experiences of other men I know from all walks of life, it seems like a horrible idea. I don't agree with all the views in this video but the author makes some excellent points.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2017
    recon117 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. This is pretty sick. Enter divorce party under google. Seems like the target market for this industry is women.

recon117 likes this.
  4. Kenzi

Kenzi Fapstronaut

It's definitely gross.
    I've never gone to a party.
    Personally, I'm against it.
    But yes, for at least a decade? (early 2000s)
    Or so,
    I know it's been a 'thing'.

5. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

Aright I believe you. I've just never heard of these things before. It's like our society went from taking marriages seriously to making a joke out of it all of a sudden. I don't even know what to think anymore...

recon117 likes this.
  6. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

I understand what you're saying, and I know you how serious you are about this matter. One question: Have you had any experiences with marriages or even relationships that gave you these ideas? Because that may be the reason behind it. I also believe that we come from similar backgrounds and have certain belief systems that relate to marriage, parenthood, and so on. Sometimes it can feel like a burden, but in my case, my parents preferred me to marry a Vietnamese Buddhist woman.

Would you imagine how many other girls I would have dated if it wasn't for my parents? Yes, they were strict, and valued marriage very highly because that's the way they were brought up in their old country. Having said that, I don't know how frustrating it was for you growing up, but it was difficult for me.

Other than that, you shouldn't reject the idea of marriage even from what you hear or see in the media. There's still hope. If it's that important to you, find someone who takes marriage as seriously as you do. It may take a lot of time and patience, but that's what I'm doing now. The last thing I want is a divorce, and I've been through enough crap in my life to suffer even more. It seems like an impossible task these days to find someone of that stature, but I know that person is out there. Hopefully, the same goes for you too.

recon117 and Deleted Account like this.
  7. Spiff

Spiff Fapstronaut

I agree with a lot of the things you've said, but I think you're a bit off with this statement. Just because we live in a secular society with weird laws doesn't mean we can't have Christian marriages. Jesus didn't approve of materialism - but he and his apostles certainly approved of marriage. The scriptures are clear that the only moral states for mature men and women are marriage or celibacy. Anything else is destructive to our lives and society.

My wife and I got married in a courthouse - I can't remember how much it cost - 50 dollars? We weren't Christian at the time - and are definitely not shining examples of sexual purity - but all we can do now is move forward, which for us includes 'til death do us part. I can't speak for my wife, but for me that commitment is until my own death, not hers.

8. Christian or secular, I believe 2 people can have meaningful relationships when their hearts are in the right place. The OP's original question was why the divorce rate was so high and its clearly because of the level of selfishness and immaturity among adults in our society. I'm not suggesting that its not possible to have a loving marriage whether christian or secular but the average indoctrinated american mindset and media message does not promote, sacrifice, patience and compromise.

9. I agree with what youre saying and a friend of mine said the same thing in regards to not rejecting the idea of marriage. I've made alot of these observations myself and I've known a lot of guys personally that have gotten the short end of the stick. Reading that Mgtow shit doesnt help, lol. I came close to talking about marriage with a couple of exes but I decided against it. I have no issues with commitment but in the US its really a bad deal for guys. I feel like you can have a committed relationship without having the state in your business but most women want to make it official.
    I think your parents advice was good for their day because people had different values. its good advice anyway if you find the right person. I know there are plenty of good women who would make great wives but its a real gamble. I'm going to make an effort not to have negative expectations when it comes to future relationship but that contract .......

recon117 and Namekian23 like this.
  10. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

Sure, I'll give you an example of a close friend of mine. He was the oldest son in his family, and all his life he had to live up to his family's expectations that were both traditional and cultural. He had to take care of his elderly parents because his younger brothers didn't know how. They all lacked the skills to translate and provide good care. All he ever wanted was to escape, and be free, for once...And then, finally he decided to live on his own. He got tired of taking care of other people, and he wanted some alone time. He traveled over a 1000 miles away from home, just to get away from all the stress.

Physically, he feels like he's free, but in his mind he knows he's not. He would tell me stories that no matter how far he traveled, he would always be worried about his family, knowing that his "freedom" is only temporary, and that sooner or later he would eventually come back. Deep down, he wished he didn't had to grow up like this, but that's life right? Even though he had some time to himself and experienced what freedom was like, inside his head he knows it's anything but. So as you can see, physically he is free, but mentally he is not.

11. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

Word

12. OzTheBear

OzTheBear Fapstronaut

Arranged marriage doesn't mean forced marriage.
    An arranged marriage is kinda like a blind date except you choose if you want to marry the person.
    Although forced marriages are quite common in areas where arranged marriages take place.

13. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

Oh yeah, every single case of arranged marriage was a choice for the woman? Nobody was ever pressured, threatened or forced? Ever? :rolleyes:

14. OzTheBear

OzTheBear Fapstronaut

o_O Forced marriages happen, I didn't deny that, but in an arrange marriage, both the guy and girl have a choice. Can't you read English? Read my comment completely please :mad:

Deleted Account likes this.
  15. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

Arranged marriages are dumb. End of story.

16. OzTheBear

OzTheBear Fapstronaut

Many people agree with you. But for some it's part of their culture,and they are happy with it (I'm 50/50 to be honest). Couldn't have just said that instead of misrepresenting what an arrange marriage is, pretending that you care about women who get forced into marriage. Lol not everybody wants to be part of your supreme culture and way of life. Peace out and I hope one day you let go of hatered and bigotry for love and understanding.

recon117 and Deleted Account like this.
  17. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

I'm not pretending.

18. Yeah it's definitely a gamble. I think the reason why this happens is because of society in a whole. We do not have anywhere near the value on marriages that we did in the past and it's showing because a lot of kids grow up without a proper father figure now and the fathers usually teach discipline and hard work where the moms usually teach compassion and are usually the nurturers, both roles are equally important!!!!!!

On top of that women have an edge these days not just from the divorce courts (obviously one sided lol) but also by the fact that there is now more men then women. When the number of men gets higher, then the women the demand for women goes up; which means women can be more picky and play the courts to take half your stuff.

This stuff didn't happen in ww1 and ww2 and any time before that because the male population was so low that if a women left a man the chances of her finding another man was very low.

If there ever is another war where a lot of men die it will change back to the way it was. That's my opinion anyways.

I know this thread has been dead for awhile but wanted to give my insights anyways lol.

recon117 and vulture175 like this.
  19. Here's a list of reasons.
    a.)Divorce laws are favored towards women.
    b.)A lot of incentives for Women. Child support, alimony, etc...
    2. Poor sex life. Lack of sexual satisfaction. Too big, too small, too infrequent.
    3. Cheating.
    4. Money, the lack of it.
    5. Lack of excitement.
    6. Lack of attraction.