1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What foreign language are you studying?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Born_For_War, Jan 7, 2018.

1. I have studied Japanese for over 3 years now. I started with the Japanese from zero series of textbooks, but because they don't have book 5, I migrated to learning via the content in the JLPT. I use anki, memrise, and a youtube channel called 日本語の森 (Nihongo no Mori) which teaches Japanese in Japanese, I'm on the recent N2 series of videos. I'm also studying Taiwanese style Mandarin, I have been using Integrated Chinese 聽說讀寫中文 Level One Part 1 - Level 2 Part 1, though I do not like it as a Chinese resource. I am also using an FSI course to learn Hungarian. I also have been on and off with polish.

TraTsbsa and Kman20 like this.
  2. Born_For_War

Born_For_War Fapstronaut

What resources did you use for your Polish study, if I may ask?

3. Ongoingsupport

Ongoingsupport Fapstronaut

I might get on the multilingual bandwagon. English is actually my second language though now the primary one, living in California I am thinking of just taking some time to learn Spanish as it's very practical. 15 minutes a day? I was just reading this bit from The Secret Life of The Mind by Mariano Sigman:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  4. Mattsfreedom

Mattsfreedom Fapstronaut

I just started learning Spanish a few days ago.

Ongoingsupport likes this.
  5. Shapirous

Shapirous Fapstronaut

English. Has been difficult to me.

6. chris3spice

chris3spice Fapstronaut

I am studying Korean. 전 한국어를 배우고 있어요. I like how it sounds which I find most people don’t but for some reason it really is nice to listen to for me. I am also studying it because I like the culture and history and want to go over there and be able to read books from their libraries and go to museums and stuff. I’d also love to own a hanok and I’d really love a traditional Korean wedding in the future.

I have quite a few textbooks that I use. “Korean Grammar in Use” “Korean through English” “Elementary Korean Series” “Talk to Me in Korean” which this one is also a website and podcast.

Websites I use are just endic.naver.com which is the Korean English Dictionary run by the Korean Version of Google.

YouTube I watch GoBillyKorean.

I just started learning Mandarin because I like the sounds like I do with Korean and I like the Hanzi and I think I want to try calligraphy.

For now though I feel like I’m forcing myself to do all of this. I used to enjoy it but the spark had left, there was a little spark I had not long ago but it faded. I’m hoping as time goes on with NoFap I’ll get at least this enjoyment back because so far I have nothing else.

GigglingTrout and Born_For_War like this.
  7. Heráclito

Heráclito Fapstronaut

Im learning Portuguese and French, but im focusing more on French right now, since its more challenging for me. Both are, i think , really beautiful lenguages. I use Duolingo and I might finish all the french lessons in the next 3 months, then ill take the Spanish course (my native lenguage) for French Speakers. I listen lots of music, watch movies, cartoons. I can tell Im not learning as fast as taking lessons, but Im improving!! Whenever I get fluenty ill pay for some medium-advanced courses, but until that, Ill save my money and keep in the self learning road.

Born_For_War likes this.
  8. I would really love to learn ASL (American Sign Language), but I'm not sure I can commit to taking a course on it right now. I have a ton of time during work to listen to stuff, but unfortunately that's not a language you can learn by listening, for obvious reasons. I have some flash cards and I have learned a bit from my mom over the years and from watching Switched at Birth. Lol but I would love to be more fluent.

9. Born_For_War

Born_For_War Fapstronaut

That's interesting, are you finding Portuguese difficult to learn? Yes it's best to immerse yourself in foreign language resources and media, that way you pick up how the language is spoken by native speakers. I used to watch the Polish news every morning; didn't pick up a great deal, but learnt about the rhythm of the language and how it is spoken by Poles. Wonderful stuff.

Good work everyone, keep it up!

Heráclito likes this.
  10. Heráclito

Heráclito Fapstronaut

Yes, Im also trying to watch/hear stuff in the lenguage Im trying to learn. I like to think some part of my mind is beign exercised, even if I dont understand much. :cool: I find Portuguese quite close/similar to Spanish, so its not so hard for me to read it, but the listening is quite a hard thing for me. I find brazilians speak really fast and tricky :/. Anyway, French, Portuguese and Spanish are very connected. I would be in trouble figuring out Polish :emoji_joy_cat:

Born_For_War likes this.
  11. THEdally_llama

THEdally_llama Fapstronaut

Brushing up on my spanish through Duolingo and also a book called Spanish: in 10 minutes a Day.

Also, Russian. Primarily through Duolingo and Barron’s Learn Russian the fast and fun way.

Born_For_War likes this.
  12. I’m studying Armenian I just returned from there a few months back and I want to be able to speak with my family much better because very few of them speak English and it’s been my dream to learn it for years now I am currently using the pimsluer Eastern Armenian cds to learn I also have a family member who is helping me practice a bit

Born_For_War likes this.
  13. Born_For_War

Born_For_War Fapstronaut

Amazing, you have picked a language very few people would want to learn!--like me with my Polish hahah. Is there a difference between Eastern and Western Armenian, then?

I'm surprised at the amount of people studying Russian, although I myself studied Biblical Greek and Sanskrit (and a bit of Hebrew) at various stages, all of which utilise different alphabets to the Latin/English one. Russian for some reason seemed harder than those, maybe I just didn't have the right textbook.

In my experience, some textbooks make learning a language drastically harder, while others--like my Polish grammar book, "Basic Polish," make it easy. The importance of a good textbook cannot be overemphasised, it is a sine qua non of language study.

Heráclito likes this.
  14. Born_For_War

Born_For_War Fapstronaut

Duolingo for Russian is a good way to start with, I guess. Are you still at beginner level or would you say you have progressed to intermediate/advanced? It's humbling to learn so much grammar and vocabulary of a language only to find that when you hear it spoken you don't pick up much at all!

Keep up the good work everyone.

15. I think the grammar may be a bit different, pronunciation between eastern and Western Armenian is also different Eastern Armenian is spoken in the nation of Armenia as well as in many of the Slavic nations I have noticed like Russia but they also speak Russian. Russian I also need to learn but one language at a time I guess the majority of Armenians speak western that’s most of the Armenians that live around the world

Born_For_War likes this.
  16. THEdally_llama

THEdally_llama Fapstronaut

I’m still at beginner but it really has made a huge difference from when I started. I can actually communicate basic Russian words and read the alphabet, so I’m pretty proud of that. It’s a hard language.

Born_For_War likes this.
  17. Born_For_War

Born_For_War Fapstronaut

It sure as hell is, and I bet that most people (more than 50%, say), who take it up abandon the study of Russian in the end.

When I was about ten, we lived next to a Russian family with two daughters who spoke the language. They were really nice girls. It was like, one of them wouldn't speak it much at all, and the other one would use it to admonish her and chastise her in this "secret gobbledygook language" that none of us understood. Funny how you remember these things and people... and Poles have always made a good impression on me, which is one big reason I'm studying the language.

Who else knows native speakers and is able to communicate with them?

18. I teach English and speak French, Spanish and Haitian Creole.

19. I'd love to learn a dead language, just for fun. Anyone know any sites where I could get audio cds or possibly download it?