1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Filling the Void - What do we replace bad habits with?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Live and Grow7, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Live and Grow7

Live and Grow7 Fapstronaut

Hey I'm here making good progress in understanding my triggers and shortcomings but I'm having a hard time finding what to fill my time with.

After many attempts at quitting PM I realized that my huge consumption of video games literally every day was a long term dopamine high and escapism for me. I used it for different reasons than when I consumed P but it still had it's place in that. My current fast is of PM and video games. I only touch my computer in general when I'm adding to my Plex library for me and my wife .

My question is what are people using to replace PM or any of our other destructive or less than ideal hobbies or habits?

Please any help is greatly appreciated.

Deleted Account and M-mcfly like this.
  2. Gotta be within your interests.

I started watching learning language bids on YouTube.

Also started restoring old electronics.

Sounds time consuming but I figured by not watching P I have saved an hour a day on average.

3. Nicko Stretch

Nicko Stretch Fapstronaut

I already had lots of hobbies - woodwork, sailing, gardening. Since starting a reboot 37 days ago I do some yoga everyday, and have made my goal to become aware of how my thinking affects my behaviour, which I record every evening in a journal which I share with my wife.

4. Live and Grow7

Thanks for the responses. I never realized just how much I used to game until now I can't do it. I used to game in basically any free opportunity I had and to the detriment of things that needed to be done. I guess I've done it so much that without it I'm now having tons of time and lost on what to fill it with.

I'm reading novels I enjoy and watching shows but I don't want the latter to turn into something I'm binging either so I'm being careful with it. I honestly don't even know how to stumble into new hobbies.

How did you get into any of your hobbies?

M-mcfly likes this.
  5. Nicko Stretch

Nicko Stretch Fapstronaut

You could try stuff out. It can seem strange at first because your identity is formed by what you have done in the past and what you currently do, rather than what you might do in the future. A barrier might be "well that doesn't seem like something I would do". Of course it won't , you don't do it yet :). Change that to " I am not sure but I won't know until I try."

Live and Grow7 likes this.
  6. Live and Grow7

Thanks Nicko, you make a great point about my old habit feeling like a part of my identity. I gotta see what else seems worth trying and take a chance on it.

Nicko Stretch likes this.
  7. Toprawman

Toprawman Fapstronaut

Working out, cleaning and/or working on the house. There is always something I can clean or fix and I get instant gratification. I detail my car and my fiance's car quite often when the weather is nice also.