1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Catholicism,Calvinism,Reformed Theology & Addiction Debate

A group for members of all religions, or no religion at all, to talk about religion

Feel Good Cool Worship or Hymns and Hard Seats?

1. Feel Good Cool Worship?

25.0%
  2. Hymns and Hard Seats?

50.0%
  3. I don't even care!

25.0%
  1. Lord's Supper in Reformed theology
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to navigation Jump to search
    [​IMG]
    This image from the frontispiece of a book on the subject depicts a Dutch Reformed service of the Lord's Supper.[1]
    In Reformed theology, the Lord's Supper or Eucharist is a sacrament that spiritually nourishes Christians and strengthens their union with Christ. The outward or physical action of the sacrament is eating bread and drinking wine. Reformed confessions, which are official statements of the beliefs of Reformed churches, teach that Christ's body and blood are really present in the sacrament, but that this presence is communicated in a spiritual manner rather than by his body being physically eaten. The Reformed doctrine of real presence is sometimes called mystical real presence or spiritual real presence.

Early Reformed theologians such as John Calvin and Huldrych Zwingli rejected the medieval belief in transubstantiation, that the bread and wine of the Eucharist change into Christ's body and blood, but taught that Christ's person, including his body and blood, are presented to Christians who partake of it in faith. They also disagree with Martin Luther and the Lutheran tradition which taught that Christ's body is physically eaten with the mouth in the sacrament. Later Reformed orthodox theologians continued to teach views similar to that of Calvin and Zwingli. In the modern period, Karl Barth espoused a symbolic view that the sacrament only communicates God's promises rather than functioning to actually confer these promises. Other Reformed theologians continued to teach the traditional view.

2. "Chapter 14 defines saving faith as that which enables people to believe to the saving of their souls. The confession states that it is the work of the Holy Spirit and is ordinarily accomplished by the preaching of the word. Saving faith is strengthened and increased by the preaching of the word, the sacraments, and prayer. This faith enables a person to believe that whatever is revealed in the Bible is true and to rest on Christ alone for eternal life."

Hearing the word as it is preached is the ordinary way people come to salvation? Is preaching the word a necessary work to bring about salvation? I understand this statement to mean that the Holy Spirit works through a vessel (person preaching) to reach people though the spoken word of God? It seems pretty synergistic, unless the person preaching is compelled to against their free will.

3. I'm quoting Wikipedia btw and also please understand I'm genuinely trying to learn the theology. I've talked with Reformed believers in the past and heard different takes...

4. you will love a reformed group

5. I'm not sure this answers my question about how grace is conferred...unless I'm missing it.

6. I love it already. It's almost like it chose me!

need4realchg likes this.
  7. The spoken word of God is not needed for salvation. Only the knowledge of Jesus our Redeemer and Gods Predestination.

8. So a person must read it in scripture, hear it, see it in action? How does one come to know Jesus? Through the teaching of others? I'm not sure I understand...

9. If I reduce you statement. It means specific knowledge is necessary for salvation. That can't be, it would exclude mentally handicapped people and infants. I'm not sure Calvin thought that, but I'll keep reading.

10. You nor I have the power to desire a relationship with God/Jesus that is because of origionalsin renderd out hearts absolutly dark.

11. The T in TULIP right?

12. So if I sit and listen in order to be saved, then in some way God already saved me before I sat down, because I would not have any desire to seek him or listen if he first hadn't regenerated me right?

13. So I'm saved without the Bible or repentance because before I know those things, I sat down, which I couldn't have done without God's grace.

14. Yes that, correct but not all people who think they are saved are saved because they turn away when the road becomes narrow

15. Then the whole thing was a charade because they were never saved to begin with right? Otherwise they could never have lost it.

16. it depends on what you mean

17. Yes, you can NEVER loose your salvation because you didntearn it in the first place

Christianman likes this.