1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Dropped 25lbs via Short & Intermittent Fasting

Discussion in 'Nutrition and Supplements' started by letter, Dec 29, 2018.

1. letter

letter Distinguished Fapstronaut

My Journal
    Hey Fapstronauts!

I just had a run of success with losing a bit of extra weight. I had been in a bad situation, my L5-S1 disc herniated and left me with only about 5% use of my leg. Doc' gave me all kinds of strong painkillers for about a year.

So I ended up around 175lbs. It's not a huge amount of weight, but when that was all pressing down on one of the nerves in my spine...well, let's say it put me in the mindframe where I knew that losing weight would help me deal what I was experiencing.

To be honest, shedding down to 150lbs was surprisingly easy. It was not without its discomforts, but compared to some more mainstream routes of weight-loss, a very relaxed fasting regimen was all I needed which made the result so astonishing to me. I mean, with my injury, exercise is very difficult and I was expecting to have a long haul to go. But I was pretty much done within 2-3 months.

The science behind how something like this is possible is fascinating.

It turns out that there is a special mode the body goes into when it has had no food. Enzymes are released to protect muscles from being used as fuel while the rest of the body gears to begin to use its own fat as the fuel source. When this state is entered into intermittently for short periods of time, it also acts to boost your metabolic rate.

So, for 3 days out of every 2 weeks, I fasted. I didn't do much else other than that from my usual routine.

Being lighter on my feet has helped the kind of pain I generate while working considerably more easy to bear.

If you ever consider doing something like this, please check in with your doctor to make sure that your body can handle the stresses of fasting.

2. Jup1t3r

Jup1t3r Fapstronaut

Well done - intermittent fasting is a lifestyle that I have found has worked very well with me, especially over the long term. Obviously you won't keep losing weight, but getting your weight to a stable set point on an intermittently fasting lifestyle is quite insightful.

Myself, I had a fantastic run with intermittent fasting for at least a year, but end of the year (Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years) is always a challenge and a forced break. Fortunately, I should be able to get back on track shortly...

HegHeu and letter like this.
  3. letter

letter Distinguished Fapstronaut

My Journal
    Yeah @Jup1t3r, thanks :)

It’s been so much easier in the long term. I’ve decided that I’d try going between fasting and feasting, so far I’ve remained fairly stable. The reality is that for me, I just can’t eat as much & I don’t need to. So a “feast” for me isn’t as big.

It’s like my stomache shrunk & my body got more effecient at using less food for the same energy.

I’m sure you’ll come right back to where you hope to be :D

HegHeu and Deleted Account like this.
  4. I lost more than 55 lbs so far in less than a month and a half; about 6 weeks. I just fasted for 3 to 5 days, refed for a day or two and fasted again for few days, repeat. So basically I ate like 2 times a week or something. But I ate a lot to binge on as much energy as I can for it to last 4 days without me feeling weak. I did not had 175 lbs extra weight on me like you though, just about 75 lbs. Still about 20 lbs left to go.

I used to be scared to do this because we have this misconception in society that it will ruin your health. So I was doing something like 500 calorie deficit for many months just to lose a fraction of these lbs I lose now so fast and so easy. Then I learned it's in fact one of the healthiest things for the body. Fasting activates autophagy which get's rid of old and damaged cells, it improves immune system, etc. I remember getting cold and being sick for a week or more with runny nose, sore throat, etc. I discovered that fasting will help body heal from infections faster. Now when I get cold I just fast and I am back at 100% within 2 to 3 days instead of a week or more.

Good stuff!

HegHeu and Issah like this.
  5. Issah

Issah Fapstronaut

Hi for how long and when would you choose to fast intermittently?

6. Jup1t3r

Jup1t3r Fapstronaut

I was on a 23-hour fasting window for just over a year, which was absolutely fantastic. My body felt good and I was filled with energy. Also, I felt absolutely no desire for sweet things, junk food, or other bad dietary habits. I also noticed that when I did prolonged fasts (i.e. 2-3 days in my case), I would have a very powerful sense of smell. Ridiculous story; I woke up one morning and when I opened my bedroom door upstairs, I could smell that there was an apple on my kitchen counter.

I highly recommend it as a lifestyle over the long-term, though plan your social life around it so that you can eat with your family/friends. Dinner always worked out the best for me.

I fell out of the IF unfortunately because of a messed up job situation over the course of the last year, but I'm in the process of getting back in, and I'm very much looking forward to it.

HegHeu likes this.