1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I Need a Hobby

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by We CAN Do This!, Aug 7, 2017.

1. We CAN Do This!

We CAN Do This! Fapstronaut

Okay, There's a big hole in my life that needs filling, and that hole is a hobby.

Sure, i walk 12km every few days, but that's more to get fit than enjoyment.

For the rest of my time, all I do is sit on my laptop and binge on YouTube vlogs and gaming videos etc., but I want to get an actual hobby that will give me some entertainment and enjoyment.

I used to work on model trains, but that was an expensive hobby that took up a lot of room to have the train set up and running, so I scrapped it last summer.

Since then, I have had literally no hobbies. At all. I love to travel, but I live out in the sticks of Lincolnshire in England, and there isn't a train station for at least 20 miles, and I'm 16 so I can't drive. I occasionally travel around the place on the railways with a mate, but other than that my life is extremely boring.

In the last couple of days, I've started a drawing just to fill time, but I would really like a hobby that I could do whenever I want, because I'm not usually in the mood for art.

My number one interest in life is the London Underground (train again!). I just love it, I'm alsways researching it and watching videos of it and whenever I'm in London, I basically spend the day travelling round on the tube. However I live 100 miles out of London and it costs me about £200 just to get down there by train, so I can't properly call it a hobby. If I lived in London I'd be able to use it every week, but I just can't do that.

So basically, I need a hobby.

Any suggestions?

LivinginRecovery likes this.
  2. Millenial

Millenial Fapstronaut

You are spending too much here. Why not take the national express coach to London? It'll cost you about £40 return ( cheaper if you book early).
    Maybe use the money you save to spend longer in London, or buy yourself another train set!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  3. BeastMode24x7

BeastMode24x7 Fapstronaut

i play guitar, it helps me keep my mind off pmo

4. LivinginRecovery

LivinginRecovery Fapstronaut

Here's a list of hobbies. You may find something which takes your fancy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hobbies

I'm with you though on the Tube trains - I love the Underground and trains in general really. Not sitting down photographing them and taking down numbers but riding on them. Such a cool form of transport.

5. BeastMode24x7

BeastMode24x7 Fapstronaut

this is much needed for everyone I suppose

6. We CAN Do This!

Ikr! My cousin thinks I'm mad as he spends about 2 hours on the Piccadilly line daily and he hates it, but I've spent entire days just going around London on the tube and I never get sick of it.

I'll have a look through the list of hobbies ;)

7. We CAN Do This!

I used to play guitar but things got in the way and I kind of got bored of it. Enjoyed it for a while though :)

8. We CAN Do This!

That's true actually. My aunt always go by National Express when she comes to visit (she lives in London). I think she goes from Victoria (might be Golders Green actually), and I think the price is very reasonable.

The only reason I get the train is because it's quicker, but I never really thought of getting the coach.

Anyway, I'm trying to find a part time job at the moment, and I'm hoping to go to London as much as possible next year, and maybe stay a few days there if I can afford it :)

9. LivinginRecovery

I'm exactly the same. I watch as all these people get on and either start messing around with their phones or read the papers or just sit and look tired/bored as they head to work/come home and I'm sitting there wired, loving the experience of being in this Tube train whizzing about under London lol Same with any form of transport really. I suppose people associate the transport they are on with the mundane or perhaps with a job they hate going to and it ends up sullying the entire experience. I have sat in airport terminal buildings while businessmen and women have sat there working totally oblivious to the entire experience of traveling by airplane because they're just used to it. Even when on the plane, they don't take the time to enjoy it or really look out of the windows. They just have their heads down working throughout the flight.

There are some good ones within all of that. I'm fascinated now by Bottle Gardens, miniature ecosystems growing under glass. Also, geocaching seems interesting. And also collecting sea glass. That looks great.

We CAN Do This! likes this.
  10. We CAN Do This!

I always think this if ever I'm travelling past something interesting. Like, why are you not looking? It's such a cool experience and your missing out!

11. LivinginRecovery

Yeah me too. I can remember pointing out the window once to the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the chap sitting next to me said "Yeah, seen it before" before looking back to the brochure in his hand. We're all different right so what floats my boat won't float someone else's but even I wanted to shake the guy and shout out "Mate, it's the Sydney Harbour Bridge!!!!!" :D

12. DeltaMeansChange

DeltaMeansChange Fapstronaut

Try photography! You need a technical foundation if you are to take pictures that come out the way you want them to (i.e., understanding shutter speed, aperture, ISO, focal length, etc.), which helps you dip your toes in the water for being "in the mood of art" rather than going fully into it like maybe you would with drawing, and depending on the way you think might be an easier approach to creating art (understanding the relationship between your various numerical settings and the scene before you to get the picture that you want).

If you do digital photography, you would also get some computer time while you edit your pictures, which might help with getting a "screen time fix". You could watch tutorial videos on YouTube on whatever software you use (Lightroom is the most common one) and use your time more productively to keep learning about your hobby.

Whether you live out in the country or in the city (or if you visit the city frequently, like you seem to do), there's plenty of things you can photograph. There's also tons of resources and ideas online on photography projects, daily/weekly challenges, etc. After a while, you might find you're drawn to a particular subject - portraits, architecture, landscape, abstract, macro, street, there's a lot of genres out there for you to explore. Heck, you might even be able to photograph trains in any* way you like (*Disclaimer: I don't know what kind of laws there might be with regards to photographing trains, especially the London Underground. Always check first.)

I'm attaching 2 pictures of trains I took when I first started getting into photography about 4-5 years ago which will hopefully inspire you. My disclaimer comes from experience with the Madrid Metro picture, when the conductor actually came out of the train and told me I needed a permit to photograph within the station (I had my camera on a tripod).

1.jpg

2.jpg

13. Millenial

Millenial Fapstronaut

Cool pictures dude. That 1st one looks like Switzerland.

14. DeltaMeansChange

Good eye - that was indeed taken in Switzerland!

15. We CAN Do This!

Hey, I actually really love photography, and I'm saving up for a Canon 700D to get me started. I just don't do much photography because I don't have a decent camera, but it's certainly something I'd love to take up :)

16. DeltaMeansChange

Any digital camera with a crop sensor from the past 5 years will work just fine to learn photography. Those pictures were taken with a Nikon D3000, currently valued at around $150 according to eBay. The Canon equivalent would be one of the Rebel cameras, and I'm sure a Rebel T3 can be had for quite cheap these days.

From there, you can see what kind of camera/lenses will suit your needs and upgrade as needed.

17. We CAN Do This!

Thanks for this, I'll check them out :)