1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving out of the house in order to become a man...

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by JustaSimpleMan1, Jan 3, 2021.

1. So I'm 25 years old. The holidays sucked bc I was around my family and their friends AKA surrounded by alcohol and over-indulgence. Most of the people that frequent this household are pretty toxic (but not obviously so). Most of them are intelligent but have a lot of personal problems and do not do much to help me feel stronger or help me on my journey of self-mastery.

I live in luxury to some extent and it's VERY tempting to stay here and not pay rent especially since my professional life is very underdeveloped (I don't have any degrees, no hard skills except for some low-paying ones). I am well-traveled and worldly but my money-making abilities are underdeveloped and I think that I have the comforts of this household to blame. The chief rationalization I have had for not leaving the nest is that I can stay in this house while I develop skills/take courses/etc which will save me money on rent and stuff. Otherwise, I would have to work, save up money, and struggle to one degree or another to pay the bills and go to school/take courses. The funny thing is that I don't find myself taking advantage of my situation in order to get ahead. Instead, I'm just finding myself becoming lazier and lazier. I wonder if getting out on my own would increase my motivation...

Although this rationalization makes a lot of sense, it is weighing down on me because I have to deal with the constant drama and BS in the house. Plus, I feel a lot of shame about still living with my parents at 25. There is very little honor in my life bc I feel like I haven't accomplished anything and basically live off the work of others. Sometimes I feel so weighed down by the BS in this house that I feel an overwhelming sense of lethargy and self-pity even self-hatred. This makes PMO very tempting of course.

I think it's time to get the hell out of here and become a man AKA become self-reliant even if it means my professional life develops a bit slower... It sucks bc I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place... Thats how my life has been feeling for almost 2 years now honestly...

2. Seize on a moment of strength and do it, and don't look back. You won't regret it.

3. blacklabel92

blacklabel92 Fapstronaut

Dnt feel ashamed. Nothing wrong with it. Its common in family oriented ethnicity households (latino, asian, etc.) Other parents will just kick their kids out once they turn 18 to fend for themselves so be grateful u have a family who doesn't do that. I say right now you should plan and save money. That way when you do move out your not running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

4. I would agree with this if you're able to set specific, time-sensitive goals for the amount you want to save and the time you want to move out by, for sure. But if you find yourself procrastinating beyond a few months, chuck yourself off the ship and start swimming to shore.

5. blacklabel92

blacklabel92 Fapstronaut

Well yeah, having a set amount and a reasonable time frame would be ideal. Im just saying in certain situations its better to save and plan compared to just goimg for it and letting the chips fall were they may.

amaranth likes this.
  6. Yeah but I've been doing that for years and it hasn't worked. I've been lazy and miserable. Thats what I've been saying.

7. I am way passed the point of chilling for a few months. It's time for me to make the jump.

Chris_Cactusblossom and Vedant4 like this.
  8. I must admit that now the question is of where to go. All of these questions are making my mind spin. Sometimes I wish I could just shut off the questioning for a while and just dwell with no thoughts. I guess that's what meditation is for. Too many questions, too much thinking can be a torturous experience which can lead to PMO for an addict. I need to find a way to divert myself away from over thinking without reaching for PMO...

9. Well, to help you break things down: What can you afford right now?

JustaSimpleMan1 likes this.
  10. Well Im contemplating moving down south with some friends so we will be able to split rent around $600 each.

11. I just moved out of my parents and bought a house just a bit over a year ago when I was 26. I too lived a comfortable life and felt like I had no accomplishments and was lazy as fuck. Getting my own place was one of the best decisions I’ve made. It’s improve my life a lot. Instead of the stress of coming home and dealing with parents, it’s just me and I can chill how I want and do what I want and have some peace in this crazy world. Spread your wings and fly!

12. You've got a plan and a budget, which is a lot more than I had when I left home. Just do it - you'll be fine!

13. Good luck ! Moving away from your parents house will PUSH you to develop new ideas, skills and mindset toward life. Those qualities will stay undiscovered until you are in your parental home. Your character will be developed greatly, having thoughts and doubts about this doing it is also part of 'leaving familiar nest' process.
    I keep fingers crossed for you !

14. Thanks boys. Today my friend and I are going to hit the gym and then map things out for the move.

Knighthawk and MeTP like this.