1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Reading Self Help Books.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by GypsyPrince, Jan 11, 2018.

1. GypsyPrince

GypsyPrince Fapstronaut

I was wondering if anyone else on here is reading self help books. I have just started on The Mastery of Self after finishing the Mastery of Love. What books are you all reading and what books do you recommend?

ThomasV and Arohamystic like this.
  2. Rebooter45674

Rebooter45674 Fapstronaut

As a man thinketh by James Alle

3. Arohamystic

Arohamystic Fapstronaut

The Game of Life and How to Play It by Florence Scovel Shinn is an oldie (1925), but one that I regularly go back to. I also like anything by Emmet Fox or Eric Butterworth.

I enjoy Eckhart Tolle's books (The Power of Now, A New Earth), although they might be more spiritual as opposed to self-help.

I'll check out your book recommendations. :)

4. antycorpo

antycorpo Fapstronaut

GypsyPrince and Arohamystic like this.
  5. Self-help books are amazing and really changed my life. I just finished Flow - Mihaly (Name is too hard to spell. Now going to start outliers and just ordered "Feeling good"

6. Trucker925

Trucker925 Fapstronaut

I haven't read any self help books lately per se, but since last July I have been listening to a lot of podcasts by Bruce Van Horn, and I finally put all of the Personal Power cd's I burned on my ipod by Tony Robbins. These men have definitely made me re-evaluate a lot of my decisions lately. Good stuff to listen to while doing my daily lap around the building I work at on my breaks and lunches.

7. J. Fylz

J. Fylz Fapstronaut

This is why we are friends! This list is the same as mine! I am currently listening to RECOVERY by Russell Brand and it’s provided some great insight on my addictions.

8. Arohamystic

Arohamystic Fapstronaut

That's so cool!!! :):):) And Russell Brand's book is on my reading list too - he's super-woke (awake?), and such a speaker of Truth!

GypsyPrince likes this.
  9. Hitto

Hitto Fapstronaut

I think the power of now by Eckhart Tolle is definitely worth a read

10. Arohamystic

Arohamystic Fapstronaut

I agree, brother! For me it was life-changing. I recommend it every opportunity I get! :)

GypsyPrince, J. Fylz and Hitto like this.
  11. Hitto

Hitto Fapstronaut

Same bro helps you analyze your neurotic thinking patterns and helps understand how your mind works against you

12. GonnaBeABreeze

GonnaBeABreeze New Fapstronaut

Terence McKenna Hallucinations ^.^

GypsyPrince likes this.
  13. I would recommend anything written by Joshua Fields Millburn and Ryan Nicodemus. And I've really been looking forward to reading The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey. I've watched a lot of his videos on YouTube, but I haven't gotten to read the book yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2018
    GypsyPrince likes this.
  14. t-jam

t-jam Fapstronaut

Heck ya G-Prince.

Will keep ya updated.

GypsyPrince likes this.
  15. THEdally_llama

THEdally_llama Fapstronaut

So far I'm still reading 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Dr. Stephen Covey.

GypsyPrince likes this.
  16. t-jam

t-jam Fapstronaut

I had that book in my hands like 4 or 5 different times probably and just could never dig into it.

I hear it is a classic and that is why I encountered it so many different times.

Who knows maybe if I read it the first time I wouldn't be typing this now HAHAHA?

GypsyPrince likes this.
  17. THEdally_llama

THEdally_llama Fapstronaut

It's such a psychologically heavy book that it's hard to keep up with, especially if you're trying to apply it to your life. My suggestion is just read it slowly or like 30 minutes a day.

As for its fame, yes, it's widely critically acclaimed. I have to say I benefited just by reading about the first habit. It motivated me to become more proactive.

GypsyPrince likes this.
  18. I haven't read today, but I have a bunch of self-help books for "adult children" from dysfunctional families.

GypsyPrince likes this.
  19. I really enjoyed "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck" by Mark Manson. Sure, it's not going to be a philosophical work of art, but if you're looking for a book where the author breaks it down to you like you're having a drink and shooting the shit, then this book is up your alley.

Another book I enjoyed was "Finish" by Jon Acuff. It's an excellent book about how perfectionism creeps in and destroys your goals, sometimes before they even begin.

20. Arohamystic

Arohamystic Fapstronaut

I enjoyed this book as well. It's easy to read, and full of practical advice. I think I give less of a fuck now... haha.

GypsyPrince and Deleted Account like this.