1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Social Media Is Retarding Socialization And Perspectives Of Self And Other

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by 虎穴に入らずんば虎子を得ず, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Star Lord

Star Lord Fapstronaut

Clearly a Facebook funded "study".

2. Star Lord

Star Lord Fapstronaut

In summary the majority of people are idiots who follow the rest like a herd of sheep. They will continue to consume and want the newest thing.
    They will be controlled in the future by technology, unknowingly.
    Give it 100 years and the human race will be a hive mind race.

3. I don't think it's Facebook that's the factor in causing a change in lifespan.

It's the connection with other people and the sense of community.

Facebook users live longer, study says

By Inga Kiderra, UC San Diego Wednesday, November 2, 2016

[​IMG]
    Credit: iStock/Rawpixel Ltd

Is social media good for you, or bad? Well, it’s complicated. A study of 12 million Facebook users suggests that using Facebook is associated with living longer – when it serves to maintain and enhance your real-world social ties.

Oh and you can relax and stop watching how many “likes” you get: That doesn’t seem to correlate at all.

The study – which the researchers emphasize is an association study and cannot identify causation – was led by University of California San Diego researchers William Hobbs and James Fowler, collaborating with colleagues at Facebook and Yale. It is published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

The research confirms what scientists have known for a long time about the offline world: People who have stronger social networks live longer. And it documents for the first time that what happens online may matter also.

[​IMG]
    First author Will Hobbs worked on the study as a UC San Diego doctoral student. He’s now a postdoc at Northeastern.
    Credit: UC San Diego
    “Interacting online seems to be healthy when the online activity is moderate and complements interactions offline,” said first author William Hobbs, who worked on the study as a UC San Diego doctoral student in political science and is now a postdoctoral fellow at Northeastern University. “It is only on the extreme end, spending a lot of time online with little evidence of being connected to people otherwise, that we see a negative association.”

Balanced use and lower mortality
    Senior author James Fowler, professor of political science in the UC San Diego Division of Social Sciences and of global public health in the UC San Diego School of Medicine, said, “Happily, for almost all Facebook users, what we found is balanced use and a lower risk of mortality.”

The researchers matched California Facebook users with vital records from the California Department of Public Health. To preserve privacy, after being automatically matched on name and birthdate, the data was de-identified and aggregated. All analyses were performed on the aggregate data, and all data was observational.

[​IMG]
    Having more Facebook friends, especially being the recipient of those friend requests, is linked to a lower mortality risk for cardiovascular disease (CVD), drug overdose, and suicide, causes of death known to be associated with social isolation. Most forms of cancer are not associated with social behavior offline, and the same appears to be true online.
    The researchers studied counts of online activity over six months, comparing the activity of those still living to those who had died. All of those studied were born between 1945 and 1989, and all the comparisons were made between people of similar age and gender.

[​IMG]
    Posting many photos and relatively few status updates is associated with increased longevity (blue), while posting a lot of status updates, without a corresponding increase in photos, is associated with increased mortality (red).
    The first finding is that those who are on Facebook live longer than those who are not. In a given year, the average Facebook user is about 12 percent less likely to die than someone who doesn’t use the site. But that’s the researchers’ crudest measure, they note, and may be due to social or economic differences between the user and non-user groups.

Among people who do use Facebook, the researchers looked at numbers of friends, numbers of photos and status updates, numbers of wall posts sent and messages sent, to see if people who were more active lived longer. In these comparisons, they controlled their analysis not only for age and gender but also relationship status, length of time on Facebook, and smartphone use (a proxy for income).

People with average or large social networks, in the top 50 to 30 percent, lived longer than those in the lowest 10 – a finding consistent with classic studies of offline relationships and longevity.

Those on Facebook with highest levels of offline social integration – as measured by posting more photos, which suggests face-to-face social activity – have the greatest longevity. Online-only social interactions, like writing wall posts and messages, showed a nonlinear relationship: Moderate levels were associated with the lowest mortality.

[​IMG]
    People who accept more Facebook friendships live longer but initiating friendships is not associated with significant differences in longevity.
    Because the researchers were studying an online social network, they could also look at the direction of friendship requests. It was Facebook users who accepted the most friendships who lived the longest. There was no observable relationship for those who initiated the most. This finding was a little disappointing, the researchers note, because it suggests that public health interventions urging people to go out and try to make more friends may have no effect on health.

Popularity leads to a longer life?
    Does it also suggest that being “popular” makes you live longer? Maybe. According to both Hobbs and Fowler, it’s hard to say which way that goes. It could be that individuals who are more likely to live longer are more attractive to others in the first place. That, as they say, needs more research.

[​IMG]
    Senior author James Fowler, UC San Diego professor of political science and of global public health.
    “The association between longevity and social networks was identified by Lisa Berkman in 1979 and has been replicated hundreds of times since,” said Fowler. “In fact, a recent meta-analysis suggests the connection may be very strong. Social relationships seem to be as predictive of lifespan as smoking, and more predictive than obesity and physical inactivity. We’re adding to that conversation by showing that online relationships are associated with longevity, too.”

The researchers would like to see their associational study, like Berkman’s seminal one, inspire many follow-ups. They hope that subsequent research leads to a better understanding of what kinds of online social experiences are protective of health.

“What happens on Facebook and other social networks is very likely important,” Fowler said. “But what we can’t do at this time is give either individual or larger policy recommendations based on this first work.”

Hobbs and Fowler’s co-authors on the paper are Moira Burke of Facebook and Nicholas Christakis of Yale University.

The project was reviewed and approved by UC San Diego’s Institutional Review Board, California’s Committee for the Protection of Human Subjects, and the Vital Statistics Advisory Committee at the California Department of Public Health.

Taylor25 likes this.
  4. I don't question what is in store for the future. 'Hive mind race' sounds eerily close to what society very well may look like in a century or more.

Whatever helps you live better man. Follow your own path. Stay true to yourself.

5. In your own summary.

Star Lord likes this.
  6. You know what I respect you @RepentMySins but I get the feeling you have some pent up negativity inside you. I hope you come to peace with that energy one day.

All the best in your journey here mate.

Star Lord likes this.
  7. Star Lord

Star Lord Fapstronaut

Yeah I've always been negative towards modern life.
    I think I was born in the wrong decade, even the wrong era.
    I long to live off the land and be a farmer or farm hand. No matter how hard or long a days work. It's the closest thing to a true survival lifestyle.
    Now everything is too easy and too easily available.

Most people forget too easily just how lucky they are. But at the same time they forget just how easy things can change.

I think I'm also annoyed by other people's priorities.

I just hate the generic type of people I guess lol. Why must they be the majority.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  8. black_coyote

black_coyote Fapstronaut

Ultimately, I think it all comes down to the user, the individual who is using the social media....Whether he is using the media intelligently, or is he in the zombie mode, blindly following something? The user must figure it out for himself. I think people should become mindful of what they are doing, be aware about their actions, uninfluenced by thoughts about "what other's might think?", and figure out for themselves whether these medias are worth their time and energy.

Personally I feel FB and Instagram is waste of time and energy.There is absolute lack of credibility about most news coming up through such media and seeing the rat race of people doing stuffs for validation and likes disinterests me.

I'm quiet okay enjoying the feeling I get when I travel alone or have a few beers with like minded friends. I quit social media (except NoFap) a year ago and I feel a sense of well being and sync with myself I can't put it in words.

As long as people dare to think intelligently, exercise their sense of reasoning and have the courage to do what they think is best for them, No amount of social media, or VR or any stuff can control them

9. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

King RMS has blah blah blah. I don't get paid enough for this shit. I quit!

Star Lord likes this.
  10. Star Lord

Star Lord Fapstronaut

How dare thee not quote RMS correctly

11. Not sure what is going on here maybe some inside joke or else you have a huge ego perhaps lol.

Star Lord likes this.
  12. Star Lord

Star Lord Fapstronaut

It's an inside joke. We basically slag each other off, @Son of a Bitch too.

13. Great way to look at it man.

Glad you're feeling awesome without it :)

14. THIS BITCH IS JUST GETTING STARTED.

RESURRECTION

RESURRECTION

RESURRECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RESUUUMADREFUCKINGRECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

15. I want in...

Deadlihood likes this.
  16. This thread has been reborn with a new vision birthed deep within the crucible of our collective consciousness.

Reader discretion is advised.

17. [​IMG]

Well it seems an epiphany often leads to yet another epiphany.

Just when you think you got it all figured out.........

[​IMG]

Taylor25 likes this.
  18. Star Lord

Star Lord Fapstronaut

You have to know the super secret passcode of almighty honourable excellence.
    Then you need to know the second secret passcode of even greater almighty honourable excellence.