1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on leaving the 9-5 work lifestyle...

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Reborn16, Jul 27, 2022.

1. Reborn16

Reborn16 Fapstronaut

So TL;DR I've just about had it with 9-5 jobs and want to write online instead. Keen to hear any thoughts or stories!

I've recently quit a stressful 9-5 that didn't leave me much time or energy to live my life outside of work. The work/life balance was one thing, but being in a building knowing that you're not really free to walk outside when you want felt unnatural in principle. And I'm looking at how many decades of this structure...?

Now I'm curious about the other side of things. Such as working online as a freelance writer, blogger, or similar...

To be clear, I don't expect big money, nor to make much money to begin with at all. I have some savings and am able to live with low expenses for a while, and I have a very minimalist lifestyle anyways.

The more I think about it, the more appealing it seems to do something online within my own timeframe, earn the average salary when I get there, and live a frugal yet fulfilling and low-stress life.

Tell me I'm not the only one? Or tell me I'm dreaming...

Keen to hear any thoughts or experiences at all :)

Alcatel1312 and Mr.Tony like this.
  2. Evig Faith

Evig Faith Fapstronaut

You're dreaming.

I'm sorry! So, so sorry. But you will come across stress no matter what you do for work or money. What matters is how much you enjoy that work, and if that enjoyment and other benefits outweigh that stress.

I want to address this specific point. Before I got a more solid position in journalism, I did freelance writing. I enjoyed freelance writing, but let me tell you: it is hard. And yes, it was stressful. Don't be surprised if clients make you cry yourself to sleep or if your unmoving bank account steals your appetite, because you'll be prone to that every single time you get a new client. You worry about finding clients. You worry about your skills for the project. You worry about whether the client will even pay you for your writing. And, unless you're a known name or an expert on a topic, that freelance writing isn't going to the larger publications even as a guest contributor. Instead, you have to do research on smaller, lesser-known clients.

I don't mean this to doom-and-gloom you, or to dissuade you from your idea, but I'm writing this to give you the reality of this industry. It's not stress-free just because we can sit at home in our pyjamas drinking coffee and twiddling our pedicured toes in house slippers as we write the latest scoops in celebrity gossip or the James Webb images. I mean, we can do that, but that's a mere snapshot behind the research and the stresses I mentioned earlier.

However, if the positives of self-employment appeals to you (your own schedule, etc), make sure that you are fiscally responsible (set aside enough money for a few months of bills in case a payment comes late or if you can't find clients), stay positive (there's always that light at the end of the tunnel, so long as you enjoy what you do), and prevent clients from taking advantage of you (research them, develop relationships with them, and demand a work contract). You won't start off big, and chances are you won't be big for years, if ever. But if you exercise responsibility and have a great work ethic, then you can get by with writing online.

3. Vertigo1984

Vertigo1984 Fapstronaut

Maybe start with working 4 out 5 days, start a writing class, start your own blog in your free time, ... and go from there... writing is hard but rewarding.
    It's dealing with your limitations, your creativity, with hard feedback, with rejection, procrastination,...
    But I totally get it! Looking back at creative projects, those are the ones I am most proud of and where growth is coming from...
    Best of luck!

Reborn16 and Evig Faith like this.
  4. MrPriest

MrPriest Fapstronaut

I think dropping what you have, without having anything already rolling or guaranteed, can be a mistake, and that you should build the foundations of it on the side while working, and then make the jump, maybe looking for a part time job to support some expenses instead of full time 9-5, something like that, and then, ultimately, dropping your old career entirely for the new one.

That said, I think is great you are persuing something beyond your soul killing 9-5. I just think you are taking a huge risk, that may pay off, or may eat your saving away and then be back at the 9-5 before getting to a sustainable point of development.

Reborn16 likes this.
  5. Reborn16

Reborn16 Fapstronaut

Thank you for the detailed reply, I appreciate hearing from someone who's lived through it!

As far as stress goes, I found the office environment could create a sustained level of stress. This lead to medical time off, depression, and eventually quitting. I'm sure I could find a more relaxing 9-5 role moving forward, but that experience got me back to the drawing board regarding my values...

Back in my student times I was also under stress when getting papers ready (the closest experience I have for freelance writing I admit). However, the stress wasn't relentless, and I was able to adjust when and where I studied for success. If fact, I was able to do just fine with online classes, having discipline to work from home or at the library. Often getting more done with a few concentrated hours followed by breaks in time and a change of environment - something not possible for the average office role.

My Dad has spent most of his professional life being his own boss as a consultant, breaking up work in a similar fashion (and also avoiding undesirable work environments). I think that's why I can visualise it being a realistic possibility, so long as I do get through the initial challenges.

I've got the time and the energy is coming back, so I will definitely give this a go and take your advice on board. This may end up being something I just do in my spare time alongside my next job, but I want to at least say I tried this avenue!

Evig Faith likes this.
  6. Reborn16

Reborn16 Fapstronaut

Thanks appreciate that!

I do hope to branch out a bit with different writing tasks, maybe adding classes and other online revenue streams. I'm sure this will make my tax records a job in itself, but I feel it might be worth it until I can niche down what writing may work best. I don't think I could get any more harsh feedback than my last job though lol!

Vertigo1984 likes this.
  7. Reborn16

Reborn16 Fapstronaut

Definitely a risk and you make a very real point. I think I'll have about 3 months to see if there's any traction at all, and then I will have to look for part time or full time work.

I'm pretty sure my next 9-5 won't be as bad, but I'm also pretty sure I'll still be seeking an exit strategy of some form. But agreed it may be more of a long term goal, freelancing or otherwise.

8. Alcatel1312

Alcatel1312 Fapstronaut

Bro, do what you want. Money comes and goes. Man has 2 jobs in this world, survive and reproduce. Dont think working is a necessity. Follow your heart bro.

Reborn16 likes this.
  9. Reborn16

Reborn16 Fapstronaut

That's the funny thing, even in high paying jobs the money gets spent just as easily, we just find new goals to aim higher towards. Still want to work and contribute as best I can, but I don't think I'll contribute much if I'm stressed out daily. Definitely need to follow my heart on this one!