1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What are ways to improve your discipline?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Myusernameistakenjpeg, Dec 2, 2023.

1. Myusernameistakenjpeg

Myusernameistakenjpeg New Fapstronaut

I keep procrastinating and I hate it how do I deal with this

2. Icewarrior

Icewarrior Fapstronaut

Get up early at least 6 times a week. As soon as you get up go straight into some kind of exercise. That might be a physical workout, a cold shower (!), prayer or whatever. Ignore the phone for at least an hour.

3. Keep the WiFi or the mobile data on your phone turned off and only turn it on when you need it, go from being always online and connected to being always disconnected and connect only and only if you need the Internet. Keep the phone in a separate room after turning off the Internet and get to work (or study)... have every hour of the day planned so that you don't feel lost and randomly do anything. These things have worked for me to have a slightly more productive life, I am using the word "slightly" here because I have been inconsistent but I am working on it and it would make life a lot more productive than before.

Asgardian36 likes this.
  4. Eritede

Eritede Fapstronaut

Break tasks into smaller steps, set specific deadlines, and reward yourself for accomplishments.

DonaldShow likes this.
  5. Joseph Campbell

Joseph Campbell Fapstronaut

Whatever new routines you decide to implement, remember that change comes with some suffering... So instead of letting the friction of creating new neuropathways deter you, look at the pain as a sign that you're on the right track, and maybe most importantly, remember that the old grooves of bad habits will fill in as you dig the new positive ones, and soon enough the good habits will be as smooth and efficient as the bad ones you've let fall away.

Keeper movin'! And good luck

6. SirQwerty

SirQwerty Fapstronaut

Fasting and putting yourself in uncomofratble situations. For example, standing in the longest line, driving home without A/C on a hot day, driving behind the slow car and resisting the urge to change lanes.
    I learned in doing these things makes me comfortable with being uncomfortable, which is the key to self-discipline.

In your case of procrastination, you have to stick to a plan/schedule. Honestly, only you'd know what works for you, because it's different for everyone. In my struggle with procrastination, I simply invested in a software and blocked my distractions for a certain period of time, and changed my mindset.

Hope this helps!

SuperFan likes this.
  7. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

Start small.

Pick one small daily task that you know will improve your life. Then set a time to do that task every single day at a specific, set time. And then follow through and do it at that time, come hell or high water. You'll start to develop greater respect for yourself when you're able to keep the promises you make to yourself.

I've always been pretty consistent about going to the gym--I go almost every day--but the problem is that I've never been good about going at consistent times. One day, I'll go at 10am, the next day, I'm there at 9pm, then the next day, I'm there at 1pm. I'm all over the place, with no rhyme or reason for it. I'm just going "when I feel like it," which often turns into really late-night workouts where I'm just trying to squeeze it in so I don't skip a day and feel horrible about it.

But for the last 8 workouts, I've lifted from 6:15-7:15am, within 2-3 minutes of accuracy--and being consistent like that has felt amazing. I feel better about myself not just because I've gotten my workout in early so it isn't over my head for the rest of the day, but I'm actually keeping a scheduled item, which I've always had such a hard time doing.

8. Be Inspired

Be Inspired Fapstronaut

Try to get up at 5AM every day and your life will change. If that's too tough, try getting up at least an hour before your normal wakeup time. I hope this helps.

9. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

I will add--if you want to get up earlier, you can really help yourself a ton by getting to bed earlier at night!

Be Inspired likes this.
  10. Be Inspired

Be Inspired Fapstronaut

The only efficient way that I found to go to bed earlier was to start getting up earlier

11. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

Shoot, man ... It takes me 10x the willpower to get up early than it does to go to bed early, so I try and help myself by focusing on the easier change to make. :emoji_relaxed:

Be Inspired likes this.
  12. Be Inspired

Be Inspired Fapstronaut

I am the other way around lol

13. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

Baby steps. Better to get up at 8am consistently than manage 2 days at 5am then sleep through til 10 to catch up. Do it til it's no effort. Then try 7.30am.

I feel like discipline is like a muscle, it gets weak if you dont use it regularly. I remember returning to regular study after spending all summer lying about eating junk food and staying up late, and finding it enormously challenging. Better to get into the studying habit before it starts.
    So do something, anything simple, at the same time every day and stick to it. Morning yoga? Meditation? Practice an instrument? Read 25 pages of a book? Take your pick. Make it something you enjoy though, til your discipline muscle is stronger, then try something more challenging.
    If all of these are too hard, commit to making your bed every morning and folding your clothes every night.

Joseph Campbell likes this.
  14. Andy1517

Andy1517 Fapstronaut

I’ll says ways to improve delete all ya social media , block out all the temptation the women don’t watch anything Arousing spend less time on the phone n jus take accountability yourself

fredisthebes likes this.