Becoming the writer I want to be

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Anakin66, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Oh wow! How do you get the money for such a book haul. That's amazing. I like the haiku books you've selected. :3

GottaBFree and AtomicTango like this.
  2. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I try not to spend money frivolously, always putting some aside when I can. I've been unemployed for a while now but I still have savings I occasionally tap into on the rare occasion I do want to splurge. I only buy hauls like this twice or three times a year tops and the last time I did it, my mother generously offered to buy the books for me as a Christmas present. It's a lot of money to spend in one go but I wont be doing it again until November or even December, so it evens out.

And yes, I bought those haiku books because you recommended them.

3. I'm in the same boat as I'm gonna stop buying books now until I can get a job. I've been splurging but I've got plenty of material to read once when my room gets fixed. I hope that when I get a job, I can buy maybe like a few books every so often and read more but I'll see. I really hope I get this job. I really do. I want this job so badly.

Nice. Let me know how they turn out.

4. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

5. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

I wrote a new query letter. I've been putting it off.

It needs to be sharpened but I like the flow and content choices.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    AtomicTango likes this.
  6. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

From the author names, I see many of the books are written by Japanese authors. :) Checked one of them randomly (The Memory Police) and it was a sci-fi. What makes sci-fi genre appealing to you? I've actually never read any sci-fi novel as far as I remember.

Also, I've read Kafka on the Shore by Murakami. Enjoyed it a lot back then. But not sure I'd like it now as much as then.

7. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

The more I write the more I want to write straight up horror. I just wrote this and am very happy with it.

As he held the smile, each of his teeth ruptured from their positions and began splaying out from his open maw, dangling and darting around like tiny arrowheads, attached to the gum line by thin strands of sickly reddish pulp. His tongue, already split at the end in the usual reptilian manner, swelled until it resembled a lumpen malignancy or perhaps a clump of flowers soddened by the rain or perhaps a fat gastropod messiah emerging from its dark and moistened tomb. When he spoke, the voice gurgled up from his throat like the sounds were being produced by the contents of his simmering stomach. “A feast. A feast to fill the hollow spaces. At least for a little while.”

8. I'm thinking of just writing an essay today and letting myself go freely on it.

9. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

775 words today. I'll respond to the messages addressed to me when I can.

GottaBFree likes this.
  10. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

For me SciFi is a fun place work out philosophical issues. By creating new worlds the author can test our views in new ways.

Hadrian3 likes this.
  11. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

But you can have those things in other genres too. At least to some extend. What's special about Sci-Fi? I think you need to be more specific or give some example. If possible.

12. I've got a great start to the essay and I'm pondering doing another one or some more haikus or even enter a poetry writing contest soon but nothing's final.

13. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I have also read the book you mentioned. I liked it a lot too.

I enjoy sci-fi because it has the potential to be more diverse and creative than other genres. I personally really like the vastness of scale and scope, delving into new worlds and getting to know this universe the author has created in detail.

On another note, message me again in DM's at some point, I'm running out of time to reply to you again.

aspiringwriter1997 and Hadrian3 like this.
  14. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

15. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

16. I'm making some good progress on my essay. I wrote two haikus yesterday that I'm very proud of and my research into my novel's going fairly well.

17. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Post the haikus!

18. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

Read Enders Game. It's a quick fun read and will give you an idea about how Sci Fi is uniquely able to look at some ideas.

I'm not all about Sci Fi but I've liked some stuff.

Hadrian3 and AtomicTango like this.
  19. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

761 words today. The chapter was never going to be finished this week so I didnt rush myself. Aiming to be done for Tuesday or Wednesday.

20. Now remember that these aren't finalized and are the rough versions, but here you go:

Kissing at sunset,
    I marvel at your black hair,
    red lips, and rosy cheeks.

My heartache swallows
    my emotions whole, leaving
    me without a home.

Hadrian3 and AtomicTango like this.