1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Does coffee optimize or hurt the body?

Discussion in 'Nutrition and Supplements' started by jcl1990, May 10, 2022.

1. jcl1990

jcl1990 Fapstronaut

So what is the truth about coffee and caffeine?

I do feel coffee is helpful is some ways. For feeling energy, for help in completing a boring task, to feel awake if didn’t get adequate hours of sleep, coffee also acts as a laxative.

but my question is, does going without coffee actually make the body healthier and more energetic in the long run?

And I’m just talking about 1-2 cups of instant coffee per day, not very strong coffee either.

I think coffee is also bad for the mouth/teeth.

2. punch54

punch54 Fapstronaut NoFap Defender

Disclaimer: I'm no expert on this subject.

From what I've observed and experienced, coffee definitely gives you a nice boost of energy, but obviously after a while you will lose that energy if you don't consume more coffee, and if you keep taking coffee repeatedly then overtime your body may become dependent it.

Besides that, I don't believe I've ever heard anyone say that they've been able to harness the power of coffee for a long time after having consumed it so much, but the contrary. Plus, if the coffee you consume has sugar added in it then yeah it's not good for your mouth because the sugar can obviously cause dental issues like plaque and cavities.

So overall, coffee may give you a nice boost of energy, but the downsides outweigh the upsides in my opinion.

Alternatively, you may try raw honey which should you an energy boost because of the sugar. Raw honey also offers you a host of health benefits as well such as boosting your immune system and providing your system with various nutrients.

Last edited: May 10, 2022
    Persistent4ever and jcl1990 like this.
  3. jcl1990

jcl1990 Fapstronaut

So maybe instead of coffee in the morning, a hot glass of water with raw honey and some lemon juice in it?

Persistent4ever and punch54 like this.
  4. punch54

punch54 Fapstronaut NoFap Defender

Great idea! I think both raw honey and lemon combined will give you a tangible boost of energy while also optimize and detox your system at the same time.

jcl1990 likes this.
  5. BruceD

BruceD Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

I love coffee. Some days like weekend I try to consume a cup less.

danielghbr likes this.
  6. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Coffee seems to have no effect on me one way or the other. I certainly do not get a boost of energy from it - oh I wish! :p

I only have a couple of mugs of it a day. If I never had it again, I wouldn't miss it. It does not keep me awake and it does not have a laxative effect on me either. So, all in all, it is a neutral think in my experience. So no harm, no foul for me. :cool:

7. Master Builder

Master Builder Fapstronaut

Just try a pre-workout containing caffeine and see for yourself!

Personally i find it good to get the train going e.g. morning on wakeup or afternoon around 16.00 and you still gotta work about 3-4 hours.

It works as intended: a short boost in energy, once you are busy, work takes care of the rest!

Lets say you start at 6 am every day. That would be quite hard for most people, usually ppl drink a cup or coffee or a can of red bull to get the day started. And this, alongside for example a pre-workout at the gym after a long day of work, is how i think caffeine should be consumed.

If on the contrary, you are drinking 10 cups a day at your boring desk job, and getting all jittery, then obviously you have an issue!

Persistent4ever and lahcim like this.
  8. safa61947

safa61947 Fapstronaut

Caffeine works in the brain by blocking the adenosine receptors.

The receptors are blocked but the brain continues to produce cortisol normally and that's when the caffeine effects wane out, you feel sleepy and drowsy. Your brain is taking care of the accumulated cortisol.

You can't say caffeine is bad for everyone or that it is good for everyone. I came late to the party, thus I was able to see a person who said that caffeine helps with his pre-workout, another said it helps with migraines, so if it works for you, use it.

Caffeine messes the circadian rhythm in any non trivial amount. I consider energy you got from caffeine to be "fake energy" because it is generated by a chemical stimulant, not by nutrients and good sleep and a well hydrated body. This triad gives the best energy.

All that said I am addicted to caffeine and I know the effects of too much of it, I had some severe anxiety crisis in the past, I would make a teapot of it in the morning, for the family, but only I and my father drink and sometimes I would drink more than he.

I use caffeine like everyone else, when I need to be a bit more alert during a difficult task at the work, or when I had bad sleep for whatever reason, it helps me go through my day.

Also another good part is that if you abstain for a long time, when you take caffeine it gives the well known energy boost. If you drink it every day, your body gets used (addicted) to it and the effects aren't as noticeable.

9. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

I'm currently on a 'caffeine fast' for lent. I've been drinking at least a cup of coffee a day for about twenty years - lately more like 2-3 - as well as multiple cups of tea per day (I'm British).
    After some experimenting i have replaced my morning coffee with a protein shake, which has a similar 'wake up and get on with it' effect on me (possibly psychological, as i associate it with working out).
    I've tried hot lemon water and herbal teas, they don't quite do it for me. Might work if you are after a nice pause in your day, or find a hot drinking comforting or warming.
    As has already been said, it really is personal the effects of caffeine. Take a week or two off and, once initial withdrawal symptoms cease, see how you feel.

Linerider likes this.
  10. loneloan

loneloan Fapstronaut

when you say caffeine fast do you mean you fast ON caffeine rather than FROM caffeine?
    english adjectives and nouns are confusing sometimes!

11. Vir85685

Vir85685 Fapstronaut

If you are drinking coffee for any of it's benefits then please ignore this message.

However, if you are just addicted to its taste, there is an alternative. I recently found an ulternative to coffee. It's called chicory powder.
    If you just want to eat/drink healthy and want to enjoy the taste of coffee, you will like it. It tastes almost like coffee, and it's healthy. Way healthier than coffee.

Well, you can always try and check for yourself. If you don't like it, come back to coffee.

12. geraldxx

geraldxx New Fapstronaut

Coffee is a double-sided sword. There are many studies which show the positive effects but on the other hand it's a stimulant and should not be overused, everything in moderation. If someone can't control his coffee intake then it probably would be best to stop completely and wean off. When you are able to control the coffee intake then imho it's ok with 1-2 cups per day but it's very individual. It's also important to stop coffee completely for enough time to see what it really does to you. Been there, done it. I'm ok with 1-2 cups every morning but not more because i tend to overuse.

HealingBodyandMind likes this.
  13. Linerider

Linerider Fapstronaut

I stopped coffee some time ago and noticed it helped me to get a good streak.
    But it's not easy to give it up. Especially at the beginning of recovery ad you tend to be more tired anyway

14. Coffee is healthy but too much coffee is unhealthy as it can squeeze out your vitamin B1 and other stuff like magnesium leaving you tired despite wanting to drink coffee for energy.

You don't have to worry about 1-2 cups a day. I drink around 4 cups in the morning and feel fine.

15. I once met a boxer.
    He told me that he drinks 30 cups a day. I'm not really sure if he was serious or not.

16. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

Half the day preparing and drinking coffee, the other half in the toilet. No thanks!

17. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

P.s. i completed my lenten fast, and i now drink 1 coffee every morning and then a cup of tea or two later on. Some days two, some days zero. But way, way less than i used to. I just don't 'need' it any more.

Still enjoying the daily protein shakes too.

18. Eritede

Eritede Fapstronaut

I can't start my morning without coffee, tbh.

19. xuledywo

xuledywo Fapstronaut

The truth about coffee and caffeine is nuanced. While coffee can provide a temporary energy boost, aid focus, and act as a mild laxative, the long-term effects vary. Going without coffee may contribute to improved natural energy regulation and sleep patterns. Consuming 1-2 cups of moderately strong coffee per day is generally considered safe and may even offer health benefits due to antioxidants. However, excessive coffee intake may lead to negative effects, including potential teeth staining and enamel erosion. Moderation is key. Balancing coffee consumption with a healthy lifestyle, proper sleep, and oral hygiene can help mitigate potential drawbacks, promoting overall well-being. It's essential to listen to your body and adjust coffee intake based on individual preferences and health considerations.

20. GrittyRunning

GrittyRunning Fapstronaut

I make coffee every morning from a Percolator, best tasting coffee and I’m not giving it up.