1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Powerlifting Fapstronauts

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by BeardedBerserker, Sep 2, 2020.

1. I do incline bench occasionally. Mainly just as a bench accessory / chest builder. Also just because I like the chest pump that it gives me. :emoji_grin:

2. CrimsnBlade

CrimsnBlade Fapstronaut

Ha pumps are always fun.

I just want to figure out what's up with my form that's causing my shoulder to pop

3. I definitely feel more of a strain in my shoulder if I'm lowering the bar to a spot higher up on my chest. So for example if I lower it straight down and it lands around my clavicle, I feel the strain in my shoulders a bit more. If I lower the path a bit lower and hit around mid-chest/nipple level, then I feel it more in my chest and there's less strain on my shoulders (and I can move more weight that way). So that might be something to try and play around with.

4. _usernameusername_

_usernameusername_ Fapstronaut

I haaaaaateee incline bench mainly because I get that weird shoulder pain like you. It never mattered how much I changed my form I would always get that pain so I just stopped completely. Stuck to flat bench for these last few years.

Tips for anyone wanting to increase their bench: BENCH MORE (and eat more). You're not going to make much progress if you only bench once or twice a week, and its a common misconception that you can't/shouldn't workout when you're sore. bump it up to 3-4 times a week, hell, maybe even 5 (probably not 5 lol). Find a program, Smolov Jr is REALLY good, I would recommend that one.

BeardedBerserker likes this.
  5. I definitely need to take that advice. I usually only bench once or twice a week, and combined with constant shoulder issues my bench has always stagnated. I've seen the memes of Smolov being a tough program, but hell, maybe that's what I need to actually get my bench numbers up. I mean, I remember when I did the "squat every day" program my squat went up like 100 lbs in a month (I was also still in noob gains territory there, so there's that).

6. CrimsnBlade

CrimsnBlade Fapstronaut

Man I feel like I'm the opposite! I switched to a bit of a wider grip yesterday on incline and lowered the bar closer to my clavicle and it felt a lot better, no shoulder pop, but when I would let the bar slip down farther on my chest on the decline I would get the pop. My right shoulder pops, my left shoulder feels a bit of strain and irritation after (my left side is still a bit weaker than my right). I'm going to keep playing with it though and see what I can get. I tried mostly to focus on keeping my forearms vertical for the majority of the lift yesterday and that seemed to help, that's what made me change my grip width.

7. _usernameusername_

I love squatting man. Its hands down my favorite exercise. My squat is still relatively weak (current max is 240lb belt/sleevless), so its hard to squat everyday with a working weight of 185+ but I want to get there. High Bar ATG squats are addicting XD

8. Squatting is by far my favorite exercise. Except maybe deadlifts. That's the number I really want to increase. I'm ok with a mediocre bench press if I'm squatting 500+ :emoji_smile:

9. I guess maybe our shoulders are fucked up in opposite directions then :emoji_laughing: Glad you found something that works, man!!

10. bondong96

bondong96 Fapstronaut

Its funny how I first went into the gym barely carrying about my lower body and just didnt want to look so skinny up top, but now I find myself barely caring about my upper body strength while I constantly get motivated to increase my deadlift and squat. They just feel so much more satisfying idk lol

11. Honestly what's more badass than going "let me put this metal on my back and stand up with it" or "let me pick this metal up off the floor"?

bondong96 likes this.
  12. _usernameusername_

Hmmm i think depending on your style its more badass. So ATG squat would be more badass than a sumo deadlift imo

13. That's true. I mean, I train sumo deadlifts and still feel like a badass doing them, but I'd much rather watch videos of people pulling conventional.

And your squat don't mean shit if it's not to depth. ATG is good, but if you're not at least hitting competition depth, all badassery is now completely gone.

14. _usernameusername_

Agreed. As long as you're not doing quarter squats then depth doesn't matter

15. Speaking of squats, I decided to mix it up and do some tempo work on my squats this weekend to focus on keeping a tight core. Definitely brutal work, but this sort of training helped raise my squat last time it went way up. Did 315 for sets of 3 with a 4 second descent. It feels like 400 seconds. Fuck every bit of that :emoji_laughing::emoji_sob:

bondong96 likes this.
  16. Started again on nSuns yesterday. I have been training without a real sense of direction since the start of the pandemic. Just kinda doing a generic 5-day PPL split, but nothing really focused. Decided to change that and force myself into a program that will help me build some strength and some muscle mass (I'm currently trying to lose weight, so hoping I can do a lean cut). Plus all of my numbers have dropped a bit, so hoping to bump them up a little bit and force myself to buy more weight (I have a little under 500 pounds in plates, and I can already deadlift all of it). Fuck it, time to push through the end of the year.

PALM likes this.
  17. bondong96

bondong96 Fapstronaut

School kinda been kicking my ass these days and my nofap streak suffered as well as my gym consistency but over the past week i kinda got back into it again. Focusing more on my deadlift rn, gonna be deadlifting twice a week with an amrap day at the start and then some heavy doubles at the end of the week. Pulled 320 for 2 last week which I pretty happy about. Hoping to get up to the upper 300s in the new year.

PALM and BeardedBerserker like this.
  18. Hell yeah my dude!! Keep after it. Holiday gains are coming. I hit my biggest deadlift ever at the end of December thanks to all the Christmas food I ate.

19. Alright y'all. What big things are you looking for in 2021? Finished out 2020 with a 265 bench, which is an all-time PR for me, and a 545 deadlift, which is a tie for all-time PR for me. I'm still trying to drop some body weight and get leaner without too much drop in gains, but really I'd love to see a 3 plate bench sometime this year.

What's everyone trying to push towards this year? That iron isn't gonna move itself. Get out there and do it.

20. PALM

PALM Fapstronaut

Fellow Powerlifter/strongman here..
    My goals for 2021 would be to get:
    520 squat
    370 bench
    570 deadift
    220 OHP/Log

But I am really injured bad atm haha ruptured hamstring, left knee is fucked, elbows are inflamed badly.. so first get healthy then chase those numbers... haha also life gets in the way quiet often of my gym progress ohh the joy of long hour shifts and overtime aswell as university work

Also my goal is to slowly to build my bw up to a solid 209.. right now I am in the 185 range.. but have been heavier before..