1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Quotes to keep going

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by skybrowser, Nov 22, 2021.

1. skybrowser

skybrowser Fapstronaut

If you do what is easy life will be hard, if you do what is hard life will be easy. If you do what is easy complain about your situation, your circumstances; if you do what is easy, stand around and be a volunteer victim like everybody else; if you do what is easy surrender and give up on your dreams, become depressed and bitter and angry. Anybody can do that! If you do what is easy your life will be hard.
    - Les Brown

There’s a cost to everything. The difference between a good pleasure and a bad pleasure is this, for good pleasure, you pay the price before you enjoy it. For bad pleasure you pay the price after you enjoy it. So the price has to paid, pay it the right way.
    - Dr. Ravi Zacharias

I put these quotes here because I know at times for some of us we may feel like giving in and giving up altogether but if we do we cannot realistically expect to get the best out life. So I urge us to keep pressing on.

2. Thanks for that share. I just had a relapse today so I needed to hear something like that. Hopefully we all break out of this.

skybrowser likes this.
  3. USER_ERROR

USER_ERROR Fapstronaut

Since god has given us the papacy let us enjoy it! -Pope Leo X

goldie and skybrowser like this.
  4. Francis X.

Francis X. Fapstronaut

"There is no evil to be faced that Christ does not face with us. There is no enemy that Christ has not already conquered. There is no cross to bear that Christ has not already borne for us, and does not now bear with us." ~ Pope John Paul II

5. skybrowser

skybrowser Fapstronaut

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up, the most certain way to succeed is to always try just one more time.
    - Thomas A. Edison

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
  6. skybrowser

skybrowser Fapstronaut

"Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently." - Henry A. Ford

RaFy942 and sickandiseased123 like this.
  7. skybrowser

skybrowser Fapstronaut

“It always seems impossible until it’s done.” – Nelson Mandela

8. skybrowser

skybrowser Fapstronaut

“There’s nothing wrong with getting knocked down, as long as you get right back up.” – Muhammad Ali

9. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy."
    -Albert Camus

kropo82 and skybrowser like this.
  10. terrasoar

terrasoar Fapstronaut

Powerful both of them

we have a Les Brown book on a shelf he most enthusiastically seeks to push people with his words I should read about his life again perhaps I will be pushed to take immediate action however I seem to be incapable of being a student of such life development too far gone in addiction lol can’t hurt to pick it up every now and then I suppose

Dr. Ravi is so right I guess he is Christian but that is also sounding Stoic if not simply sensible

here is something a little Zen-esque not a short guy, I recently did not want to read anything mentioning God but this isn’t so bad

“For me, trees have always been the most penetrating preachers. I revere them when they live in tribes and families, in forests and groves. And even more I revere them when they stand alone. They are like lonely persons. Not like hermits who have stolen away out of some weakness, but like great, solitary men, like Beethoven and Nietzsche. In their highest boughs the world rustles, their roots rest in infinity; but they do not lose themselves there, they struggle with all the force of their lives for one thing only: to fulfil themselves according to their own laws, to build up their own form, to represent themselves. Nothing is holier, nothing is more exemplary than a beautiful, strong tree. When a tree is cut down and reveals its naked death-wound to the sun, one can read its whole history in the luminous, inscribed disk of its trunk: in the rings of its years, its scars, all the struggle, all the suffering, all the sickness, all the happiness and prosperity stand truly written, the narrow years and the luxurious years, the attacks withstood, the storms endured. And every young farmboy knows that the hardest and noblest wood has the narrowest rings, that high on the mountains and in continuing danger the most indestructible, the strongest, the ideal trees grow.

Trees are sanctuaries. Whoever knows how to speak to them, whoever knows how to listen to them, can learn the truth. They do not preach learning and precepts, they preach, undeterred by particulars, the ancient law of life.

A tree says: A kernel is hidden in me, a spark, a thought, I am life from eternal life. The attempt and the risk that the eternal mother took with me is unique, unique the form and veins of my skin, unique the smallest play of leaves in my branches and the smallest scar on my bark. I was made to form and reveal the eternal in my smallest special detail.

A tree says: My strength is trust. I know nothing about my fathers, I know nothing about the thousand children that every year spring out of me. I live out the secret of my seed to the very end, and I care for nothing else. I trust that God is in me. I trust that my labor is holy. Out of this trust I live.

When we are stricken and cannot bear our lives any longer, then a tree has something to say to us: Be still! Be still! Look at me! Life is not easy, life is not difficult. Those are childish thoughts. Let God speak within you, and your thoughts will grow silent. You are anxious because your path leads away from mother and home. But every step and every day lead you back again to the mother. Home is neither here nor there. Home is within you, or home is nowhere at all.

A longing to wander tears my heart when I hear trees rustling in the wind at evening. If one listens to them silently for a long time, this longing reveals its kernel, its meaning. It is not so much a matter of escaping from one's suffering, though it may seem to be so. It is a longing for home, for a memory of the mother, for new metaphors for life. It leads home. Every path leads homeward, every step is birth, every step is death, every grave is mother.

So the tree rustles in the evening, when we stand uneasy before our own childish thoughts: Trees have long thoughts, long-breathing and restful, just as they have longer lives than ours. They are wiser than we are, as long as we do not listen to them. But when we have learned how to listen to trees, then the brevity and the quickness and the childlike hastiness of our thoughts achieve an incomparable joy. Whoever has learned how to listen to trees no longer wants to be a tree. He wants to be nothing except what he is. That is home. That is happiness.”

Herman Hesse, Bäume: Betrachtungen und Gedichte

Last edited: Dec 28, 2023
    skybrowser likes this.
  11. skybrowser

skybrowser Fapstronaut

Interesting read, to be honest I haven't read much German literature but might give it more of a try in future.

12. ColonelMustard90

ColonelMustard90 Fapstronaut

"where there is no struggle ,there is no strength "

"the weak can never forgive "

"its your reaction to adversity , not adversity itself that determines how your life story will develop "

If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward." – Martin Luther King Jr.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." – Ambrose Redmoon

The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” - Ernest Hemingway

"When you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't." – Thomas A. Edison

skybrowser likes this.