1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Zombies! Run!

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by Deleted Account, Apr 28, 2020.

1. So I've never been into running, but I've always thought it would be a fun thing to get into. I'm not great at the whole working my way up to larger goals thing, though. I tend to want to go too hard too soon and too fast, and that can be unhealthy for you.

So I decided to get an app that would give me some weekly tasks to work my way up to a 5k. And you guys! I found the coolest app!

It's been around a while, so I'm sure some of you have probably heard of it, but it's so freaking fun. As you run, it tells you a story, legit audiobook style with sounds and a full cast of actors. Basically the story is told as if you are in the zombie apocalypse, with a headset on, and these people from a nearby base are communicating with you and helping you get to their safehouse.

Then once you arrive, they start to train you to be a runner for them, going out for supplies and such. And of course every once in a while you encounter zombies, so you have to run extra fast to lose them.

It's such a blast. I just completed the first mission today, and my running route ended in absolute perfect timing. I saw my car in the distance, so I pretended it was the safehouse and started running as fast as I could for it. Then just as I was getting close, the audio kicked in and played gunshots as the men from the safehouse were shooting the zombies behind me and calling me into their base.

It was so much fun, and I'm excited to keep going with the first 8 week training. I thought I would invite yall to join me :) we can post our experiences and times, if you want, here.

I'm veryyyyy new to this, and absolutely terrible at running fast for a long distance without wheezing to death. So that's where I'm starting out. Lol

Here were my stats for today:

1.52 km
    15:12 pace/km
    23:11 time
    82.3 kcal

2. Oh dang, you guys. I just found out it's only free for the first three weeks of training, and then it costs like 6 bucks a month :/ that's sad

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. Red Star

Red Star Fapstronaut

It stills a good discovery :)

If you are a dream-walker, you could think about zombies without app, aha

4. Lol I'm actually probably going to pay for it, if the next three free weeks go well :)

5. That sounds hilarious and fun. I personally like to run in silence but I love this concept, truly a million dollar idea!

6. Thanks, guys. I plan to do my second run today.

I'm learning though that I think I have something called overpronation, so I need to learn how to position my feet better when I run. In the past whenever I've tried to do more cardio at the gym, my calves and shins and ankles feel do terrible that I have to stop. So I'm trying to learn how my feet are supposed to be positioned and what I can do to fix the problem.

7. Thanks, guys. I plan to do my second run today.

I'm learning though that I think I have something called overpronation, so I need to learn how to position my feet better when I run. In the past whenever I've tried to do more cardio at the gym, my calves and shins and ankles feel do terrible that I have to stop. So I'm trying to learn how my feet are supposed to be positioned and what I can do to fix the problem.

8. Just got back from another run :) my stats were worse this time, because I was following the training and they made me walk more than I probably would have on my own. But that's good. That's why I wanted a trainer, so I don't accidentally push myself too hard and too fast.

Also, my shoes really suck. I need new ones, but I don't want to spend a ton of money, and I'm not sure I want to order them without trying them on first. If stores were open, I would go buy some today, but alas, no shoe stores open at the moment. How fitting for the zombie apocalypse.

Anywhoozle, here are my stats for today:

1.48 km
    24:53 pace/km
    36:51 time
    130.9 kcal

It's interesting though, because I don't think these numbers are totally accurate. I did the same loop as last time, but I had to double back a bit as well, so I know for a fact I covered more distance this time. But the app says it was less than last time. So I'm not putting too much stock in the numbers.

9. Good stuff. Running is pretty badass. Wish I had done it sooner. You're pretty serious about this.

10. I'm trying. Lol I've always thought it would be cool to be good at running, but my legs just don't like it much. I'm trying to actually learn more this time about why and how I can maybe position my feet better and such to fix that problem.

11. Yeah my right foot points outward at an angle. I just kind of ignore it and hope it's not a problem.

12. It's probably not much of a problem unless you start running or walking long distances

FellatiousD likes this.
  13. I almost forgot to do my run yesterday. I remembered right after dinner, so I decided to go anyway, but not push myself too hard. It ended up being pretty good actually. Saw some cute pups out walking their owners, too. :p

Here are my stats:

1.66 km
    23:10 pace/km
    38:28 time
    136.6 kcal

fg4795 likes this.
  14. Okay, so I've figured out the actual numbers. I went for a run on Wednesday, and originally I wasn't gonna post the stats because I thought they were inaccurate. But it turns out it is actually the ones I've already posted that are inaccurate.

So for Wednesday stats:

3.92 km
    8:55 pace/km
    35:02 time
    150.6 kcal

When I saw that, I thought there's no way that's true, because I only ran a little further than I normally do, but this would be over double what I normally do.

So I decided to go for a regular walk around the neighborhood, with a more accurate distance tracker. My husband came with me and our trackers both seemed accurate, so I have officially figured out that the "track" I run is about 1.7 miles, so 2.7km. I typically run the whole course, plus some. I would say the run I did on Wednesday was the whole track plus about half the track again, so 3.9km sounds pretty accurate.

But clearly the previous stats that said 1.5/1.6km was definitely wrong. lol so anyway, now I know.

My GPS on my phone doesn't seem to work super well with this app. I think it would work better if I turned off my battery saver mode, but I also worry my phone would die halfway through the run, because this app drains the battery so fast.

So anyway, that's where I'm at. I'm glad to know officially what the distance is of the course I run, so I can at least get a good estimate of the distance I've run when the app fails.

Next run will be tomorrow morning, Lord willing ^_^

fg4795 likes this.
  15. Estimated my stats for today, since the app was wrong again. I'm gonna try turning off my battery saving mode next time, and hopefully that will help the app to read things accurately. But my estimated stats for today are here:

3.4 km
    10:29 pace/km
    35:42 time

fg4795 likes this.
  16. Also, I met a sweet kitty today :) so I had a tiny break to give pets.

17. Week 2, Workout 2

Did another run today, and this one was a bit more interactive, which was fun! Also, turning off the battery saving mode on my phone seems to fix the GPS problem, so I think this is an accurate reading of my stats:

3.72 km
    8:23 pace/km
    31:14 time
    179.4 kcal

fg4795 likes this.
  18. Just finished my run for today. My legs were more sore than usual today, probably from all the yard work I've been doing lately. So it was a bit tough, but my pace is still pretty much the same as Monday's.

3.77 km
    8:46 pace/km
    33:08 time
    154.4 kcal

fg4795 likes this.