1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Dead to Sin and Alive in Christ

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. YES great question. Your emotions are not to be trusted, they can be deceptive. You need godly close friends to not only hold you accountable but to call you out when you are throwing a pity party or wallowing in guilt. If you don’t have a close best friend, you need to work on that. Not on this forum, a face to face person. I can reply with biblical references on the don’t trust your emotions later.

Wilderness Wanderer likes this.
  2. These events also remind me of just how hopeless and flawed the human heart is apart from the salvation and redemption through faith in Christ Jesus alone.

3. Yes, I would appreciate seeing this.

4. Ok I’ll have to get into my journals and find some stuff for you. You May have to remind me.

5. The Bible clearly says our hearts are deceitful, and we can be self-deceived, etc. We are also forbidden from acting in anger. But, personally, I have come to a place where I see emotions as amoral. An emotion is not right or wrong, it just is. Emotions are not acts of the will, they are natural bodily responses like (unconscious) breathing or eye-blinking or heart-pumping. What we do in response to our emotions is, of course, moral. But an emotion isn't a thought, it isn't a statement or a sentence, so it can't be false or deceptive. An emotion may not be fit for an occasion, true. But this can lead to the idea of denying or ignoring the emotion. I think the better path is to be curious about the emotion: "Why am I having this emotional reaction to this situation?" You may find the emotional reaction is not justified, true, but there is something in your history that triggers your body to respond with that emotion. A better path to healing is to become aware of our emotions and, with time and practice, to learn to regulate our emotions. But if there are verses in Scripture that speak specifically of emotions (which is not the same as the heart) as "deceptive" or something like that, I'd be interested in seeing it - because that would mean I'd have to tweak some of what I'm sharing with you here. :)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2023
    Myfortress likes this.
  6. Sounds like you have a good understanding on feelings. The way of the world is act on sight and feelings. Do what feels good, PMO.
    Below are notes from sermons
    The enemy is masterful at getting us to interpret our “status” by our current feelings and circumstances. This is how the world interprets feelings and circumstances. Our status has nothing to do with circumstances and feelings.

You must learn to manage your feelings, do not let them control you.
    · Recognize Good vs Bad
    · Name them
    · Own up to them
    · Express them correctly
    · Do not stuff them Learn to express them correctly

Change begins in the mind. Change the way you think and you change the way you feel. Change the way you feel and you have changed your attitude, then actions follow. We must think about our behavior and our feelings. Ask what am I feeling and believing? Is this in line with the way a Christ follower should think or feel?

7. More Notes from Sermons
    The peace that passes understanding is our awareness of Gods presence in our life regardless of circumstances or feelings.

Negative feelings can reveal bad thinking that is causing the negative feelings like anxiety, fear, unbelief dissatisfaction, and ingratitude.

A wise person considers his feelings in the context of the situation. Sit back and reflect on why you are feeling a certain way? It could be you are getting all worked up over nothing.

Your feelings are caused by what you tell yourself about what's happening. This can relate to PMO. We can create negative emotions after a relapse and it keeps us down and vulnerable to do it again and again.
    The solution is to remember the Lord and his promises. Ask Him to help put your feelings into perspective.

Nothing concrete from the word about feelings. They are unreliable at best and should not be the basis for any decision making. They should be expressed however, it is dangerous to just stuff them.

8. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

A really helpful habit to get into is prayer as soon as you awake. Pray that Christ will come to your right side and the Father to your heart. Pray that the Holy Spirit and His Angels and Saints will come to fight temptation for you while you stand in Christ's arms. Make God your first and last thought each day.

Keli and Myfortress like this.
  9. Brothers please pray for me. I keep relapsing.

jw2021 and Wilderness Wanderer like this.
  10. jw2021

jw2021 Fapstronaut

11. “if we are faithless, he remains faithful— for he cannot deny himself.”
    ‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭2‬:‭13‬ ‭ESV‬‬

God seems to be emphasizing this core principal in my life. In the Midst of some recent relapses after years of no PMO HE is still faithful. Just because I relapsed does not mean I have to quit serving. I noticed this because there is still fruit from my serving despite my relapse. So don’t get discouraged and don’t think you can’t be used by God for service because you sinned. He will even redeem the sin by helping you encourage someone else in your same situation. Hold on to Gods promises.

12. I relapsed yesterday.

13. We are not very good, but he is unfailingly so. He wants us to come back home to him; his arms are open wide to receive us. My prayer for us both is that we would stop seeking lasting comfort in places we know we will never find it.

14. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

A relapse opens a door to your mind that you had once closed. This can be a dangerous time with a strong temptation to binge and give up trying out of despair. However, remember that the saints are merely humans who never gave up trying and God has designed you to be among them. Stand up. Be strong and spend time with God each day in prayer as if your immortal soul depends on it, because it does.

PS I composed this bit of advice as if I could go back in time and give it to the sinner of my past life. I expect that I would probably not have given it the credence it deserves but how I wish I had!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2023
    Myfortress likes this.
  15. PMO is definitely a joy killer. I was several months clean enjoying the fruits of the spirit. Now It will take time to restore what one day of PMO has done.