1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The Friendzone

Discussion in 'Dating during a Reboot' started by Erick Pastora, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Erick Pastora

Erick Pastora Fapstronaut

In this thread I want you to give me your personal opinion about the friendzone. I will give you mine right away and I'll be interacting with everyone sharing opinions about this. I intend for guys to really understand why are they in the friendzone and what they can do about it, because we've all been there and it's frustrating to not know what to do next.

OK, first off: everyone has been in the friendzone (even girls) at least once. It's something you shouldn't be ashamed of, the girl (or guy) didn't like you as you did, move on and don't let it hurt you.

Based on my experience I have really come to understand what I did wrong and why I ended up in the friendzone with at least 10 girls and getting with non of them. When I was at middle school and high school this was my move: I would like a girl, basically stalk her, talk to her more on Facebook, WhatsApp or MSN (yes, MSN) more than I did on person, only being in my couch or bed all day thinking about her, jerking off to her (I had to mention it), and "make her like me" until 1 day I had the balls to tell her that I wanted something more or being "smooth" by asking her out. I did this like once a year, like in March I started liking the girl and on September I would tell her I liked her and she would tell me let's be friends or worse (once I texted a girl I loved her, yes LOVE, and she went around showing everyone my text and making fun of me). I tell you this because I want you to know I've been there and even though some of those experiences still hurt a little, I am beyond that and understand my mistakes.

Now let's get into 5 problems I've seen when guys get friendzoned. First, taking too long to act. This is basic guys, if you approach a girl she knows for sure you like her, so why keep it a secret? Always show your true intentions because you may give the wrong idea and maybe a girl does like you as a friend so when you tell her your feelings she might get hurt too because she lost a good friend. Second, is abundance (I wrote a thread about it: https://www.nofap.com/forum/index.php?threads/its-all-about-abundance.159894/ ) but basically guys in the friendzone are for sure one thing: NEEDY. When you don't have more options than her and don't understand she does too, you become needy and depend on her liking you in order to be happy. Keep this in mind: if you're not formally dating, you're not taken and you're free to date, kiss or have sex with any other girl you like, and so does that girl.

The next thing is the nice guy stigma. Again, check out my thread on this topic ( https://www.nofap.com/forum/index.php?threads/nice-guys-finish-last.155507/ ). I'm not getting deep into this, but the nice guy stigma is the mindset of most guys who think that just by being nice you're good to go and the girl will want you. Think about it this way: picture an ice cream you like and an ice cream you don't like. Now, the ice cream you like is the attractive guy to some girls, and the ice cream you don't like is the jerk to some girls. You know that because those two kinds of ice cream are strong flavored, they are either loved or hated. Those are attractive guys and jerks. But wait, where's the "nice guy" who got friendzoned? The "nice guy" is like ice, nobody likes it but nobody doesn't like it because it doesn't create a strong feeling. You want ice cream (sex) and you want a great strong flavor (attractive people) and don't even think about ice (nice guys). Maybe it wasn't a perfect metaphor, but you get the idea.

The last two come from the nice guy stigma. Number one is not having a life. Like I said before, I used to lay down in bed or the couch doing nothing but thinking about the girl I liked, that is just wrong. If you want to be an attractive guy you don't have to be fully devoted to one girl, but to yourself. If you love yourself and make your life the awesomest you can, you will instantly become attractive. Don't always be there for the girl, learn to say no.

Last but not least is seeking to be liked, which has correlation with the last sentence of the paragraph before this one, don't seek to be liked. You see, if a girl asks you to do something you don't really want to do, and you say no, it will trigger attraction. I don't why but we guys think that being always there for her and doing her homework, helping her out on everything will make them love you. Flash news: it doesn't. If girls know they can ask you for anything and you'll do it for them, sorry bro but you just become their new bitch.

OK, now let me know what you think in the comments.

Summary:
    1. Taking too long to act
    2. Not having any abundance
    3. The nice guy stigma
    4. Not having a life for yourself
    5. Seeking to be liked

yugowolf1991, JustinX and asbgca like this.
  2. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

If someone was there for you / friendly towards you / helps you / hangs around you / does things for you / etc... you would naturally think that person is a friend or acquaintance. Especially when that person hides their real intentions of pursuing what they really want with you.

Friendzone is a situation that one creates for themselves. It's a way to hold on to access with another person while hiding their true intentions until they're ready to act. It's manipulative because everything that person does or says is for the purpose of trying to maneuver towards a hidden agenda.

The solution to the friendzone is honesty.

Jennica, LilD, JustinX and 3 others like this.
  3. GG2002

GG2002 Fapstronaut

As a female, in my 20 odd years of dating the guys I friendzone have done nothing wrong and my decision was not impacted by any of his behavior. I would friendzone you very early on if I just did not feel any chemistry or physical attraction. I know men think they can create chemistry, but they cannot. It’s there or it’s not. And as a woman if were hanging out and you had not made a move or expressed interest and I was interested I would tell you that. If I as a woman were interested in a guy that I was friends with, I would tell him that. Another common mistake men make is thinking that she’s waiting on you to make a move and so you may have some hope of being more than friends, that quite rare. Women will let you know they are interested.

I always find it funny how guys think the friend zone is their fault. I suppose if you think you have some sort of control over the situation it makes you feel better, I get that but you don’t. I recommend if you have Netflix to watch this movie “when we first met” it’s a new comedy but it will show you exactly what I mean. It’s a guy who got friend zoned and is able to go back in time to try to change his behavior and not get friendzoned and he can’t.

My advice as the poster above said just be honest. If you want to date say that earlier on. Women have male friends they are not attracted to and would never sleep with or consider dating, but they enjoy your company. I know sometimes that’s confusing but the solution is just ask.

4. Erick Pastora

That's very true, showing intention is what pays off in the dating game,people will always tell you to be confident and go for it. Many times, women put you right on the stand and ask you if sex is all you want and you can either be the guy who's afraid of her and say "ummm no I really like your personality" or be the confident guy who says "hell yeah" even if you get slapped or get a drink thrown at your face. It's not like you have to tell her that you want to get busy with her, but to show your intent and not be afraid of talking about it. Maybe you really want something else than sex, but still you have to be honest about you wanting to date her.

First, thanks for your reply. It means a lot that a woman is here replying and giving her point of view about friendzone. Now, I don't agree with you 100% and the reason is how you see friendzone. You can see it as a natural state of things like I assume you see it or you can see it like the guy with the reply above yours that is a situation you create for yourself as a guy. This is how I see it: yes, as you say, natural attraction is something very important that comes from first interaction, but it also depends on a lot of factors. And one of the most important factors is how do you approach. Imagine there's a cool guy who can be funny, interesting and charming, but is too shy when he approaches so the approach doesn't go well because all of his good traits were hidden. First impression matters, so it's quite important that you're confident enough to project all of your good traits. And confidence comes from point number 2 which is abundance, because sometimes even though the attraction exists, when the guy starts being needy he ends up in the friendzone because the girl doesn't want to be with a needy guy, unless she's needy too which is just a bad scenario. I actually think you're right when you say that if it wasn't there from the beginning it won't be there afterwards, BUT sometimes it is there at the beginning but we guys just screw it up by doing the wrong thing and specially having the wrong mindset.

JustinX likes this.
  5. MetaGame

MetaGame Fapstronaut

So first off I would say check out my post on how to find the right woman. https://www.nofap.com/forum/index.php?threads/help-for-nofappers-how-to-find-the-right-woman.159639/

Most women who friendzone u are not the right women. I've dated/been in relationships with girls both before and after the friendzone. Women have their own complexes and tastes that do not always have anything to do with if you are good enough. Sometimes its about things u cannot control. Height,skin color etc. Not even women can fully verbalize their preferences and even if they could it shames some of em to admit that they cannot really think for themselves and pick a good guy.

This doesnt mean women are the problem anymore than the friendzone is the problem. You just need to have an honest look at yourself and improve in the ways that attract the type of women that will appreciate you and who you can also accentuate. You know last year before I got with my current gf. One of my best friends friendzoned me, other refused to fool around anymore, the person I was seriously interested and spent all my time chasing lied to me about another 'friend' lol and the person I had subconsciously friendzoned turned out being the best thing to happen to me. And my friends, they picked like the most puppy dog guys. And I realized exactly why they both friendzoned me. They both wanted guys they could 'control', a guy who worshiped them.

Many women have been abused,harassed or had a bad relationship. And you have no idea what they think will make em happy. What they think in you is best to avoid even tho it might be good for em. Like nofap could tell u just be manlier and they may not even want a manly guy. You cannot know and its not ur job to force or to fix.

And as 'active' at that sounds I am short,broke and overweight lol. I have only my in depth understanding of women and life to help me navigate. And I quickly realized you know sometimes women are saving you from themselves. You better believe you do not want to deal with the complex secret reasons they are probably friendzoning you.

I mean sometimes women are wrong and dont know whats good for them. But its not ur job to convince em, not most of the time. Save that behaviour for someone u already have a real mutual connection with and is a soul mate. U know with my closest friend, she friendzoned me and I knew from our psychological profiles the chances of us being together at a younger age was super slim. We are very similar people but I know she wanted to not settle and also to have fun letting a guy worship her... oh thats another thing both women and men chase a dynamic they feel safe with regardless of attraction or logic sometimes. There are different explanations for this. parental imprints, first loves/relationships, core values. Point is focus on developing yourself.

Do nofap, and you will improve in how you deal with women and how much women are attracted to u. Its like 35 days into nofap my friend asked me out on a date. Women can also sense if you are high on hierarchies too. Even small ones u didnt think mattered, might to them. Like how well you dress. Like if u have 'style'. If you are a good dancer. In my experience you want someone to appreciate u for how u are already growing, not all these micro ways that may not mean anything to u. But u need to climb those hierarchies and you need to show it. Women will instinctively come to u if u do , especially if ur on nofap.

you wouldnt believe. Read my thread. Stop focussing on the friendzone. Its real but its only as big as u focus on that person and situation. Dont do that to urself or them. Its a young persons waste of time. And don't masturbate over friends or people you really want to date. Trust me, it removes a lot of the motivation, respect and can even add shame.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    Erick Pastora and GG2002 like this.
  6. GG2002

GG2002 Fapstronaut

I agree that men can screw up things by doing stuff that is a turn off. But oh the flip side if the attraction is already there she will let more slide than if it’s not. Yes be confident yes approach but don’t be too hard on or blame yourself so much if you do get friend zoned.

7. Erick Pastora

That's very true, thanks for sharing your experience. I believe that the friendzone is, as was mentioned by another user, something you create for yourself because you cannot blame a woman for not liking you, just as a woman can't blame you for not liking her. The thing is though, we guys refer to the friendzone as something bad for you, when in fact you can get actually get to be a good friend to the girl and who knows maybe eventually she'll like you, but it's not something you should be aiming for. Two of my best friends have friendzoned me and years later I still talk to them almost every day and we care for each other and they help me with my game.

That's also very true, I know a girl who is also one of my best friends and from the beginning I friendzoned her and she friendzoned me because we knew that if at any point we got together it would be a massive disaster.

8. Erick Pastora

Agreed. It's something you learn from experience, when you reach abundance you realize that the friendzone can actually be a positive learning experience and you can actually get a good friend out of it.

9. Sometimes I feel like the concept of friendzoning takes away a woman's agency to decide for herself who she's into or not. It's as if any woman can be had so long as certain techniques are followed and completely disregards the woman's own feelings on who she wants to be with. Women aren't prizes to be won or fought over, and if she's not into you, she's just not into you. It doesn't always have to be about the man's approach or experience.

Jennica likes this.
  10. hmm Friendzone something I found myself in a lot when I was younger and had little experience here some things to do to stay out of it not that it will make every women like you it will help you move on from the ones not interested here is the list I have learned from being on a lot of bad dates . note I wish I had the advice below when I was between the ages of 14-21 it would have saved me a lot of time and grief and money

1. You have to touch them on a date hands ,shoulder, or back YOU HAVE TO MAKE CONTACT
    2 Don't call and text them constantly call every couple of days don't return the phone call or text immedantly it makes you look desprit
    3 speek up for yourself on a date if she is starts talking about an ex tell her you don't want to here it, You want to be her lover not here therapist
    4 never let them directly know you like them and for gods sake never tell them you love them early in a relationship it always has to be this ,we will see if this works out
    5 if she does get mad when you do the first 4things NEVER APLOGIZE AND EXPLAIN YOURSELF IT MAKES YOU LOOK WEAK WHEN YOU DO ,if she gets pissed at you for saying you don't want to hear about her exbf for the 5th time just say yeah I don't want to hear about him your here with me now then act like your about ready to get up and leave BOUNDRIES ARE HUGE WOMEN TEST FOR THEM also if she gets mad respond with that here responses are weak and lame ,
    note the above is not about getting women to like you its about showing up as a MAN

11. GG2002

GG2002 Fapstronaut

That was exactly my point. The man has little to no control over whether a woman friend zones him or not. I sometimes read these tips and say huh? No that does not matter. Sure if someone is rude or disrespectful it could turn me off but I would not even want to be his friend then. To me it’s a way of the men believing that they have some control over whether they are friend zoned or not it’s comforting. But a false sense of comfort. For men interested in dating someone make that clear from day 1. Do not pretend to be her friend or hang around hoping she will see you as more, aint not gonna happen outside of a Hallmark movie!

Jen@8675309 and Jennica like this.
  12. Erick Pastora

These tips aren't supposed to be seen as manipulative ways to "win" over women, which is exactly what leads guys to being in the friendzone. These tips are supposed to make you a better guy who can be fulfilled by his own self, and get you the right mindset to make approaches. The expected outcome shouldn't be to "win over" every woman you approach, but for you to express your true self in a way that is more attractive.
    I understand your point, attraction comes from first interaction and no tips will make her eventually like you, but the tips are for guys to take better approaches, being OK with rejection, making friends and staying positive knowing that if it didn't work out once, it may work out another time, but they're always happy with their own lives outside of dating.

13. Erick Pastora