1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on aliens

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by BravelyKegger, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Actually I'm the only person here using anything resembling logic and reason.

Forget about aliens for a second and let's just concentrate on life on earth. Through a combination of extraordinary circumstances LUCA sprang to life and then propagated. From LUCA we have all living organisms on the planet, meaning I am a distant cousin of turtles, mushrooms, redwoods, and carrots. Over the ages we let evolution do its thing and voila now we have primitive man. Over the centuries man slowly becomes more technologically advanced until we hit the Industrial Revolution and then go into crazy exponential growth. Eventually we will birth artificially intelligent sentient beings which will in turn create even more artificially intelligent sentient beings and so on and so forth. The only two possible outcomes are either Armageddon or the complete colonization of the cosmos.

What an extraordinary set of circumstances leading from LUCA to artificial life. Now of course the argument is that time and space are so old and vast so these extraordinary circumstances should be able to repeat themselves billions of times throughout the universe.

So where is the evidence? Show me.

If intelligent life is capable of springing up an unfathomable magnitude of times then there should be some evidence. But there is none.

To top it all off you have people who legitimately believe some errant little green man typed in the wrong coordinates in his saucer and crash landed on earth where he was promptly anally probed by government officials.

Nutty folks man.

2. Why are you asking for evidence? I never one time said that aliens have been to Earth. I only said that the existence of alien lifeforms, including intelligent alien lifeforms, is a near certainty.

Unintelligent alien life is probably far, far more common than intelligent alien life. Lets say that intelligent life is so rare that it only occurs on one planet per galaxy, that still means there's a lot of intelligent life in the universe. I'm sure many of these intelligent species are now extinct, but it's extremely likely that some still currently exist.

It's simply delusional to think that we are the only intelligent lifeforms to ever exist.

helloguyz likes this.
  3. UFOs are likely just military aircraft

4. It's amazing how much technology has advanced even within my relatively short life. Recently while charging my electric car I was using the car's WiFi to watch a movie on my tablet. If you had told me that when I was a kid in the 80s my head would have exploded. Plugging a car into the wall? Mysterious invisible radio waves? Watching programming at your fingertips in beautiful high definition quality on a flatscreen device?

The human brain can not even conceive of how advanced technology will be 1000 years from now. I am convinced that if there is no Armageddon then the cosmos will be as littered as the oceans are today. Artificially intelligent and sentient robots will colonize all corners of the universe.

So I am to believe the universe is big enough to support millions, nay billions of species of intelligent alien life all capable of creating intelligent life of their own...and yet there is a whole bunch of nothing out there.

I am not prejudiced against the idea of alien life but extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and I am seeing zero evidence.

If I'm getting animated it's because I've had this argument in real life way too many times with a friend who has made it his mission to convince me otherwise (he believes in anal probes and little green men). When I give him a rational and cogent argument like the one above there is no rebuttal except for "you must be delusional to not believe there is other intelligent life out there".

We are alone people, sorry to break the bad news to you.

5. Thanks, this made me laugh actually to start of the day. Yeah when you realize that one billion earth's can fit inside the sun, were basically ant's compared to the universe. Especially since they have said every star is like a grain of sand on the beach. I thoroughly believe this to be true. I can honestly say one thing I miss is looking at the stars every single night and the city isn't the place for that since all you see is planets. If your lucky at 3 in the morning before you go to work even the constellation Orion.

brokenmillennial and CarP like this.

6. I've been Catholic. But I just believe in a higher power now, it hasn't really fit in with me to take sides. I've had my own experiences that have opened me up and grew close with this force. I don't regret any of them;better then not being shown. :)

7. skaterdrew

skaterdrew Fapstronaut

I don't believe in any conspiracy theories of ufo sightings, or anyone covering anything up about alien existence.

But I think there is no question that there will be other life in the universe. I personally think there will be more life in the universe than we could possibly ever imagine.

There is far too many stars, so suns with planets orbiting them in the universe. The scale is an unimaginable figure. There is no way that out of all those planets that the earth is the only one that is harbouring life. An unimaginable amount of planets orbiting suns out there, yet the earth is the only one harbouring life? I don't think so. As I said I think the scale of other life in the universe will be an unimaginable figure.

Plus there is also evidence that mars potentially once had life and used to be similar to the earth.

I personally don't just think there will be some small amounts of life in the universe, I personally think the amount of life in the universe will be an unimaginable figure, and I don't believe it will just be microorganisms etc, I believe there will be an unimaginable amount of creatures and living things out there.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    brokenmillennial and CarP like this.
  8. skaterdrew

skaterdrew Fapstronaut

In fact have you ever seen this? So the size of earth compared to other planets in our solar system, compared to our sun. Then other suns that they know of, the size of these suns compared to our sun. Can you imagine the size of planets that orbit these suns?

Then this is good also

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    CarP likes this.
  9. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

Sky is big biggy, our crappy sky magnifying lenses suck big time.

Faulty logic and reason that is.

Why should they? Because we silly humans do? Your anthropocentric view of what constitute a highly evolved intelligent lifeform is so laughable that I don't know where to begin at.

So logic and scientific yet you speak like someone that would have burned Galileo.
    It would be better if you said you know fuck all than robustly just deny it even when math itself straight forwardly refute your hypothesis, the universe is way too big.

You have pretty much zero evidence of that, as there is an inmense amount of the cosmos to be explored.
    You are not prejudiced my ass.

DM10, brokenmillennial and CarP like this.
  10. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

If aliens arent real, explain this?

[​IMG]

Revanthegrey and CarP like this.
  11. Evidence isn't required for us to know that alien lifeforms exist, just common sense.

laughable

helloguyz likes this.
  12. We are not that important. Even if aliens exist, and have the technology to visit us at will. What would they gain? If they can travel here on a regular basis, they are far too advanced to have any needs of grabbing our planet's resources. And if their interest is not materialistic but academic or scientific then they would certainly make contact and it won't remain a secret for long.

CarP likes this.
  13. A quick Google search shows me that the universe is 13.8 billion years old and the earth is 4.543 billion years old. Your theory is that intelligent life is in abundance in the universe.

How many different species of life do you believe there are? Out of all those, how many do you think are older than us and by how much? Would it be a fair statement to say that there are a billion species of life out there that are two billion years older than us?

All that intelligent life out there which should have technology far superior to anything our monkey brains can comprehend and yet the cosmos are pristine and free of any litter except for the stuff that us humans have launched into the immediate vicinity.

If there is no Armageddon to the human race do you think we will have outposts all over space in two billion years?

stegiss likes this.
  14. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I strongly recommend you research a concept called "The Great Filter." It offers a plausible explanation to your questions.

15. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

We even haven't searched through any of the nearest planets and moons like Mars, Europa, etc yet, let alone those billion billions of the worlds out there. We are not alone, there is zero doubt on this. But whether it includes intelligent life forms or not, remains to be found in the future.

helloguyz and CarP like this.
  16. I promise to read about this concept before the weekend is over. Intelligent discourse and debate are always welcome, personal attacks get promptly ignored. Before I do I'll share my vision of the future:

As technology grows exponentially and not linearly it is only a matter of time before sentient artificial life forms become a reality. This AI will spawn more intelligent AI which will spawn more intelligent AI and so on and so forth. The result is that technology will be created which our current minds can not comprehend.

What this means for humans is still a question. After enough time I believe there are only two plausible scenarios: we are either enslaved by our robot overlords or they eliminate us entirely. Perhaps future technology will allow for cyborgs; robots with human characteristics and once that is achieved there is no further need to keep us around.

In this future robots will start navigating space in search of more hospitable conditions, resources, furthering the advancement of scientific knowledge, or perhaps some combination of all these. Every time they descend on a new planet they will set up a base from which to explore even further.

With exponential technological advancements perhaps superior abundant energy sources will be discovered allowing for space travel beyond anything we can imagine (how long were humans around before flight was achieved and then a mere 60 years later we landed on the moon). Perhaps these robots will figure out a way to traverse wormholes. Robots will end up surveying as much of the universe as is possible. The desolate parts will be ignored and the areas ripe for habitat and resources will be examined. The cosmos will be full of ships, satellites, space stations, anything that shows proof of intelligence.

With that said, the argument is that there are potentially billions of intelligent species out there with potentially greater baseline intelligence than humans and billions of years head start on technology advancement and yet this scenario has not already played out. Not once. Nada. No evidence. No nothing.

The counterarguments seem even more suspicious to me:

1) All of these alien life forms have completely shed their biological impulses and live in perfect utopian societies. There is not a malevolent soul among the bunch. How do they stay alive without the impulses of self preservation and procreation?

2) These billions of species of benevolent aliens all operate under a prime directive whereby they do not interfere with the happenings of lesser species. Despite the fact that earth is a hospitable planet with plenty of resources these aliens are bound to leave us alone. All of them. Hmmm...

3) These benevolent aliens which operate under a prime directive all have cloaking technology which allow them to observe us without being detected. So these benevolent aliens are just hanging out and waiting for humans to become advanced at which point the merciless robots will destroy them all?

That even gives a convenient out for people who believe aliens have landed on earth. Some benevolent alien had a malfunction on his/hers/its cloaked saucer whereby it crash landed on earth completely undetected except by government officials and the military.

Or maybe they just don't exist and that's why there is no evidence.

Anyways I promise to do some research later as I'm intrigued.

17. Compared to unintelligent life, I don't think intelligent life is abundant. I just think the sheer size of the universe makes numerous intelligent lifeforms a likely scenario, but the number of unintelligent lifeforms is almost certainly vastly higher in number.

Who knows? I can't even imagine how many species there are beyond Earth, it's probably a number that we can't even comprehend.

The cosmos are pristine? How do you know that? I think you vastly underestimate just how large the universe is.

No

18. I agree that an advanced alien civilization wouldn't need any of Earth's resources, there's plenty of raw material in space in the form of asteroids and comets. The only reason intelligent aliens would be interested in us would likely be for scientific study, but that doesn't mean they have to make contact. They could potentially observe us from a distance with telescopes that are vastly more powerful than anything we have invented so far.

19. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

Humans litter, therefore any other intelligent lifeform must litter, because as we know, humans are the standard for what an intelligent lifeform is and how it may or may not behave, no faulty logic at all.

Also they must develop technology in the same fashion humans do, because technology = intelligence, right?, and also the technological prowess of humans is obviously the only routes technology made be developed.

20. A guy who believes in God does not believe in aliens?
    Weird.