1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What is a relationship for?

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by ForABetterLife20, Jan 31, 2018.

1. ForABetterLife20

ForABetterLife20 Fapstronaut

How seriously do you view the idea of a relationship?

Basically, how much does one consider marriage, for example, in entering into a relationship? To what extent?

I'm basically at the point where I want to get into a relationship with this girl, but she has the view that a relationship is really supposed to have an intentional long-term commitment, while I think you can hardly ever know right away whether you want to marry someone, so that's why you date. You spend time with each other for a long period of time, then debate where to go from there.

I definitely see her point, I just think that there's perhaps room for us to grow and understand together.

So what do you think? What does being in a relationship mean for the two of you? How seriously do you take each other and your relationship to be?

2. RecoveringLion

RecoveringLion Fapstronaut

If you are in a relationship, you are committed to that one person (in thoughts, emotions, body) for the duration of it. Yes they are meant for kind of testing the waters before marriage. No its not a marriage. Its a good way to feel out the next step with someone and see if there is some traction there. If this girl is demanding that dating MUST lead to marriage then back out. If she views it sort of getting engaged, back out. You can enter a relationship with her and break it up if its not right, and even if she feels hurt, there isn’t anything wrong with breaking up. Just make sure you understand her expectations, and she understands yours. If there is a discrepancy in them that cannot be reconciled, then its a good indicator to back out.

3. Queen_Of_Hearts_13

Queen_Of_Hearts_13 Fapstronaut

Dating to me equals attempting to see if you two fit for a formal committed relationship. Once in a formal committed relationship, to me the idea is that you are both looking for long term, and if by two years you know you don't want to marry them or haven't even thought about marriage then I would want to move on. But that's just me.

Dating is casual in my opinion though. Committed relationship is more serious (especially if it lasts years- if it lasts years I assume we are headed toward marriage) But I am married lol and what I described above is how I actually found the guy I married. I stopped dating casually and not taking things seriously. I started to really think about what I wanted and was looking for.

GG2002, Trappist and Jennica like this.
  4. GG2002

GG2002 Fapstronaut

I think a lot of factors go into why we date. One, is how old we are, another is our religious beliefs and life goals. When you are in high school or college you mostly date to have fun, get to know yourself and others. But the older we get people start to date with a purpose. If they want marriage and kids they generally don’t waste their time with people who don’t want the same.

Whatever relationship you and your partner define the terms. If it’s exclusive then it is. If she wants exclusive and you don’t then you are not compatible. I think discussing a shared goal or marriage is fine in a relationship even if it’s not with the current partner like hey do you want to get married someday do you want kids. But people move at different paces. There is no right or wrong answer, she’s not wrong nor are you. Just tell her you are not prepared to move as quickly as she is.

Jennica and Trappist like this.