1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Becoming the writer I want to be

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Anakin66, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Sure thing

2. I recently came up with an idea for a series I'm pretty excited about. I haven't worked out all the kinks yet, but this is the fun part of writing, for me. Getting an idea and thinking/dreaming about it until I figure out all the little details and work out the plot holes.

So that's been fun :)

Anakin66 likes this.
  3. But aside from that, I'm working on the business side of writing lately. Rebranding, making a new website, starting an email list, getting new covers for my old books so I can run some ads on them and hopefully they will succeed.

It's a lot of work, but hopefully in the long run it will be worth all the effort.

Anakin66 likes this.
  4. Kvath

Kvath Fapstronaut

Write away people! Doing a lot of stuff lately. Or so I think. I'll keep you updated. You all rock.

Anakin66 and AtomicTango like this.
  5. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Slightly more than 900 words today.

Anakin66 likes this.
  6. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I know this is only indirectly related to the topic but I feel like it makes the most sense to post this here.

I really dont understand my own capacity for willpower. On one hand I am able to sit down almost every single day and churn out large amounts of writing of a decent standard (I'm obviously going to go back and edit and redraft a lot of stuff but still you get the point), but I seem to be really struggling to even get to a week on any streaks I've attempted in the last two or so months. Its becoming kinda disheartening considering I KNOW for absolute certain I can do better, because I've done it before more than once. It seems odd to me that while one aspect of my willpower increases, the other diminishes, I'm unsure what to do other than just keep trying and try to do better next time, but I've been doing that for a while now and its clearly not working well enough.

To look on the positive side, even if I do relapse once or twice every few days, that still leaves the majority of days on streaks, but I feel like that line of thinking is borderline defeatist at this point and I dont think its unrealistic to hold myself to a higher standard than that?

Anakin66 likes this.
  7. Hey yall, my friend Sarah is streaming right now if anyone wants to hang out and get some writing done. I'll be there ^_^

Anakin66 likes this.
  8. Make sure to say hi to me if you come, so I know who you are :p

Anakin66 likes this.
  9. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Slightly more than 1200 words done today, chapter 5 nearly done.

Anakin66 likes this.
  10. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

Wow, you've published books! That's great. What genre?

Good luck on your new website!

Deleted Account likes this.
  11. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

I missed this, but thanks for the link. Will check it out!

12. Yeah, I have two books out so far :) they're romantic suspense. I plan to mostly write romance, but I also have some mystery/thriller ideas that I'll probably write under a different pen name.

And thanks! I'm all done with the website and I'm really happy with it.

Anakin66 likes this.
  13. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

Nice work bro. 5 chapters is a milestone!

14. Sarah does these every Friday at the same time, like 5pm Pacific. Her streams are generally the only ones I tend to show up for.

Anakin66 likes this.
  15. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

Take it easy my friend. If we knew the answers we wouldn't be here, eh?

Perhaps you need to figure out what are your triggers and work on them one at a time.

This is a journey for the long haul.

16. MorgAnn

MorgAnn New Fapstronaut

I wish you to become a successful writer!

Anakin66 likes this.
  17. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Thank you, should be getting it finished today.

Anakin66 likes this.
  18. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I think in this instance the trigger is just boredom, I fill my time up quite well most of the time but due to a combination of circumstances its difficult to be occupied all the time. If I sense I'm getting urges and boot up my PS4 and blast music while playing a game, the urges fade fast. The trouble is making this a learned behaviour where I do this every time I get bored.

Anakin66 and Deleted Account like this.
  19. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

1000 words done today, finishing chapter 5 and bringing my total up to 66 and a half pages and 23,000 total words. For all intents and purposes "Act One" if I want to think of it that way, is done.

Anakin66 and Deleted Account like this.
  20. I'm almost done editing this book! Will probably finish today. Meanwhile, I got an awesome idea for a short side story to offer to newsletter subscribers, and I'm really stoked to write it!

Anakin66 likes this.