1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Becoming the writer I want to be

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Anakin66, Feb 24, 2020.

1. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Oh, to be a cat!
    At play or asleep in shade.
    So carefree they are.

2. I wrote 1465 words this morning as well as moved my old articles and short stories (sans a few newer pieces) to my flash drive for save keeping. It's been a great day and I've been on a writing roll lately. I hope to get to sit down and write some poems and/or haikus next week.

This is good. I actually wrote a haiku on cats myself. :3

3. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Wow! :eek: It makes me feel tired just thinking about it buddy! :p

4. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

Sending a couple of queries was a bad move. I feel demotivated to wrap it up.

I'm going to wake up early and finish the rewrite tommorow. I'm going to try to deny my nature and transform into an early bird lol.

I'm probably going to limit the amount of rewriting I do. If the creation will work, It's close enough to it's potential for agents, or readers of independently published books.

If it doesn't work, it's ok. I am trying to massively reform a genere and that's not a likely path to success. I'm back to feeling completely hopeless about the commercial prospects.

For my next chapter in life I'm going to continue to use my new writing skills, but not on writing a new novel. I'm kicking around a business idea. I will test it out and see how it goes. I've become passionate about this new idea, but I want to properly finish the book first.

In two chapters of my personal life, I do want to write return to write another novel. It's a tough to give up the power to create worlds lol.

5. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Try not to feel too bad about this, it sucks obviously but it's better to be realistic about these things. I honestly don't expect to be offered anything along those lines either, so I try to write just because I like it.

I'm sure I asked this already so forgive me, but what is your book about? Why is it reforming a genre?

6. Wilde°

Wilde° Fapstronaut

You guys are amazing keep at it!

7. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Thank you!

Henryforward, GottaBFree and AlphaGod like this.
  8. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

Thriller. The structure, characters, and feel of the book don't have a comp and that I can find.

Henryforward and AtomicTango like this.
  9. Okay guys, so I've been writing a few haikus and I tried out three different arrangments for the same haiku and I'm wondering which one do you guys think is the best. If none of these work, show me some variations you can think of:

I stare at the sun,
    thinking of a simpler time,
    letting myself go

I stare at the sun,
    letting myself go, thinking
    of a simpler time

Letting myself go,
    I stare at the sun, thinking
    of a simpler time

10. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Interesting. Can you elaborate on this any further? I'm genuinely interested.

GottaBFree likes this.
  11. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

The first one has the simplest flow, while the other two have the irregular pauses that seem to be quite common in haikus. I think the last one would be improved with a pause after the second line, so it goes like this:

Letting myself go,
    I stare at the sun, thinking,
    of a simpler time.

I like this because it sounds like one long slow sentence, I can imagine it being spoken.

12. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

Hi, Can I know more about your novel (or maybe some parts of it)? If you've explained it before please give the link.

13. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Thank you for showing interest! To put it simply, I am writing a trilogy of sci fi novels. They are primarily space opera but also feature elements of military sci fi, with some horror elements thrown in here and there. If there are any specifics you wish to know, ask away.

14. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

Interesting! Thanks. Is it inspired by any other shows, movies, etc? Is it more like Star Wars or Start Trek series or ... or none? (I'm obviously interested in the Star Trek series)

15. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Answering that requires going a bit more deeply into the motivation behind me writing the books. This whole thing is a massive passion project and as such features a lot of things I have wanted to do for ages. In some aspects you could probably argue the world I have created is very cluttered with a lot of different things, but that was always the point, with my intention being to create a sci fi world so diverse that I can write any kind of story within it and have it still work.

Now to answer your question properly. This initial trilogy is a very straightforward space opera with a few glimpses at a deeper universe here and there. Very fast paced with a focus on action, intrigue, and character drama. My intent is to have this trilogy end in a way that (and I have to spoil the ending a bit here) sets up a more hopeful, Star Trek-esque future for the universe going forwards. I am a massive fan of Trek as well (my avatar of course is from DS9) and I could liken the events of my trilogy to the events that led to the formation of the Federation. Different species coming together after a vast conflict to become something greater than they ever were by themselves. I hope to write further books that are almost a "Next Generation" look at the world, when some time has passed and this new status quo is cemented. I hope to create an interesting contrast between what the universe will become and the darker, more violent beginning.

16. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

The Star Trek shows also discuss some philosophical matters too. And perhaps above all they sometimes get very funny. They were also scientifically informative.

I remember when I saw my friend was watching the Enterprise, I loved to watch too, but couldn't as didn't know English. One of the reasons encouraged me to learn English. I've only watched Entreprise, OST and TNG.
    Good luck.

17. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

This is true, but I'm not trying to straight up copy its premise for future books, I just like the idea of a more hopeful future for the universe I already created. It also has a lot to do with me not wanting to write out certain villainous alien species because I like them too much to kill them off outright, so instead I redeem them.

You absolutely need to watch Deep Space 9 and Voyager. DS9 is my favourite show of all time and easily the best Trek series.

Hadrian3 and GottaBFree like this.
  18. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

I'm focused on the characters, their development, and interpersonal conflicts way more any thriller I can find. Check for a PM with more on that... Most won't find it interesting lol.
    ---
    I did wake up really early yesterday and was productive, but did not complete the book before work.

I polished some things changed a major plot point to allow a charcter to develop. I have seven pages left to complete the rewrite of the second half.

I'm working on completing this revision tonight. Almost time to query!

19. This is the one I'll probably go with as while the first one's simpler, this one sounds more beautiful and this is best presented. I'm glad you helped me clarify this and does it fit in the 5-7-5 rule?

20. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

It does.