Can a boy and a girl be just friends?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by modern milarepa, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Guys please remain on topic :) OP asks a genuine question

FellatiousD and modern milarepa like this.
  2. damn, this is just like orwell's animal crossing or whatever it was called

FellatiousD likes this.
  3. modern milarepa

modern milarepa Fapstronaut

The OP left the chat too long ago :( haha

4. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

Damn mate that must be one of the most hilarious stuff I heard in a while.

Also I think that we got to the conclusion already that yeah, OP question, is possible if there is no sexual attraction between the parties involved.

I think is what almost every replier agreed with.

FellatiousD likes this.
  5. Not a reason to get offtopic. Just doing my job, not trying to ruin the fun :) If there's nothing you want to add about OP's question, feel free to move on - that is a general comment.

FellatiousD likes this.
  6. modern milarepa

modern milarepa Fapstronaut

I would like to hear this from someone who had more than 20 years friendship with a woman and both are straight. And not just one, several people telling this, then I'll believe is possible to have friendship with the opposite sex between two straight people.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  7. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

[​IMG]

Good point, even if there is any chance of friendship, tends to be brief, never seen any long term friendship between male and female.

FellatiousD likes this.
  8. I think you need to look up the definition of the word "proof." This is giving me deja vu. Your ability to make the same mistakes without learning is really fascinating.

You should probably give this a read, because it's something you struggle with a lot: Proof by example - Wikipedia

I love this. Really makes the whole "men and women can't be friends" premise look silly - which it is.

Lol that's too perfect. I'm going to use that one.

I disagree that sexual attraction precludes the possibility of a friendship. We don't have two binary mental states when it comes to the opposite sex - "horny mode" and "friend mode." That's a really reductionist way of viewing relationships.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  9. DefendMyHeart

DefendMyHeart Fapstronaut

I've been friends with several men for over 20 years and there's never been any type of interest shown on either side. We talk no differently than I would talk to anyone else, whether it be another woman friend or another male friend.

One man I've known for over 30 years and there has never been anything between him and I. He recently started practicing medicine and is my doctor. I see him weekly. No attraction. I care for him as I do any other friend.

I think the difference is, when I talk to someone, gender is never really an issue. I see people as people, no one above me no one below me.

I think it is possible to be friends with someone of the opposite sex with no sexual attraction. Then again, I could just be an exception.

FellatiousD likes this.
  10. futuredentist

futuredentist Fapstronaut

One of my closest friends is a girl. In fact she approached me several years ago, because we studied in the same class. She is very attractive, but I never had a crush on her. I only like her as a friend. We are just friends and never had anything. We never hung out or went to each others homes, but always felt like old platonic friends.
    I never tell her about my hookups and she doesnt tell me too. Its like a personal area and we dont talk about it idk.
    Last years I see her change - she likes gossip, talking shit, hating ppl and doing bad stuff and I think that she may be talking bad about me with her girl friends.
    I dont know how to proceed with her ? She is my buddy, but I dont like how she treats other people - she plays very cool with anybody, smiling and everybody LOVES her, but only I know her true image....

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  11. NothingMoreNothingLess

NothingMoreNothingLess Fapstronaut

No, they can’t. When Harry met Sally summed it up perfectly:
    I still cringe seeing younger males try and defend that guys and girls can be just “friends.” Keep telling yourself that. It’s human nature and impossible to resist. Only exception is if the guy is gay.

12. No friends with benefits yes put friends never.

13. Candun

Candun Fapstronaut

The idea that they "can't" has been disproven even in this very thread lol. If you wanna say it's rare fine, but saying they "can't" is just silly.

CarP likes this.
  14. gordie

gordie Fapstronaut

It's just part and parcel of the general bickering right now between modern feminism and its twin in the incel community. The idea that every male/female interaction is predicated on sex comes from a general lack of social experience. I think it also can stem from people knee-deep in this ideology thinking women can't be funny, women can't be intelligent, etc.

Of course, betas/ orbiters are a thing as well, but they by no means constitute the whole of interaction.

CarP likes this.
  15. Khufu

Khufu Fapstronaut

My Journal
    the only way a girl an guy can get along as friends is shes attracted to him but hes not attracted to her or vice versa , that being said thats why i dont have female friends im not gonna hang around a girl i like if she doesnt like me or im not hanging around a girl that likes me but i dont like her, im a gentlement enough not to put her in that torture

16. NothingMoreNothingLess

If the guy is gay, you’re right. Already read how a lot of guys here had feelings for their female friends, which proves my point. Refer to the video for the explanation. I also used to think they worked, but you’ll understand once you get deeper in life’s relationship spectrum and nofap. The friendship just doesn’t work.

17. Yes, it's possible, if the people are mature enough. And by mature I don't mean old but emotionally and mentally mature.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2021
  18. Candun

Candun Fapstronaut

Read some of the posts above your original one.

19. Do you know what a "counterexample" is? It's a very advanced concept, I don't expect you to understand.

Well anyway, once you manage to wrap your head around it, it seems that several people in this thread have described having platonic relationships with the opposite sex. Those would be considered conterexamples to your claim. And stop saying your point has been "proven," you don't get to just assert things like that.

20. NothingMoreNothingLess

Your condescending tone is just salty. Your own experience proved my point. I know that the friendzone can cause saltiness and eventually the formation of an incel when a heart breaks. Guy and girl friendships do not work, get over it.

FellatiousD likes this.