Legalize suicide?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Mar 22, 2018.

1. It’s not a matter of capability, it’s a matter of ones beliefs. Atheism will naturally lead more people to suicide since it will present suicide as valid means to escape a life filled with suffering; along with the frustration that occurres when trying to find lasting happiness amongst finite things; drugs, sex, money, relationships, etc.

http://news.gallup.com/poll/108625/more-religious-countries-lower-suicide-rates.aspx

2. And I've also heard of religious people comiting suicide as well. Maybe atheists are possibly more "prone" to it because we can't and don't rely on anything but ourselves, and so in those difficult times we only have our willpower to help us.

That also doesn't mean just because you have a faith you won't do such a thing yourself, severe and clinical depression affect people regardless of what they believe in especially if left unchecked.

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. IR254

IR254 Fapstronaut

I want to share the german way of dealing with suicide, since I believe it is logical in a sense. In Germany you can kill yourself legally, because our constitution grants everyone the freedom of personal expression and self determination. If one wants to kill themselves, they can, since the act of suicide is considered an expression of self determination. The logical reason behind this is the question "Why should anyone be allowed to tell me how to live (or not live more precisely) my life?".

Religious arguments don't count as a reason, because state and religion are strictly separated in Germany. You can believe whatever you want basicially, but when it comes to laws religion must be out of the discussion. To me this sounds logical, but it might not be logical for others.

Also, if you have a look at it from a criminal law perspective: What benefits does it have, to punish people, who wanted to end their lifes? Does anyone really think, that people change their minds because they get punished? I don't think so. Same goes to the war on drugs in my opinion, but that's another topic. So people, who survive an suicide attempt get medical and psychological help, but they don't get punished. Actually I don't understand the reasoning behind punishing suicidal people. What do people in other countries think it will bring?

4. I have thought about suicide thousands of times, since I was 5 years old, but unlike many of us here I have beliefs and that leads me to faith, faith that if I go against my obvious my punishment will not be earthly (more than the one e received) if not eternal. my sister was on the verge of suicide at her school at age 13 trying to hang herself on a beam. she is more determined than me even though she does not have the same level of belief. If my mentality were different. I would not be here long ago. I'm just a coward if that's what many call it. but there are not many short-term exits like those that suicide offers you. If my insurance policies covered his suicide all my debts would be paid in the same way. but here comes the moral. bla bla bla. legalize it or not as many say after fact that it can be done ?. A 13-year-old boy recently committed suicide because he had many brothers and his mother no longer had to feed them all. He not to be a mouth but went to the patio and hanged himself. seeing it in all the world is modified every time in a more modern way. recently the famous blue whale. He knew it all, and nobody did anything. Can it be classified as illegal?

5. [QUOTE = "Chriѕ, post: 1372803, member: 191759"] [​IMG][/ QUOTE]
    LOL. I like it

6. Again, I said it’s not about capability since anyone is capable of suicide regardless of their beliefs.
    Yes, atheists are clearly more prone to suicide so therefore as atheism increases in the population so will suicides.

Again, I said it’s not about capability since anyone is capable of suicide regardless of their beliefs.

slitebg and Deleted Account like this.
  7. Ezpz

Ezpz Fapstronaut

I think that if you have thought it through (deeply) and still wish to go through with it why shouldn't you? Its your own life. Life is hard, it is understandable some people want out. If you can't see that then you are blind. To keep living is heroic. To deal with the tragedy and tyranny of life is bloody hard work. Constant death, wars, enslavement, cancers. The torment we inflict on each other every day. The world is not kind or fair to anyone.

Some people are in pain all day every day without it ever stopping, why shouldn't they wish to end it? Its funny to me to see people who are opposed to the idea. They are not the ones who are in pain though are they? You can't possibly know or understand different peoples thoughts, let alone make decisions for them.

This is where another issue lies where we base our laws and societies on religion. It impacts free will, on the basis of thoughts of other people. Don't get me wrong i think religion is a fantastic thing, it creates communities and give people something to believe in. Where it impedes on free will how ever is a dangerous thing.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  8. It is innate that the human being believes in something. always always had that need. If we go to the analysis of each person in this place, we will conclude that if they do not believe in God, they have faith in something, call it universe, destiny, cosmos, each person puts it in their own way or according to their culture or generation. It is a universal law, even believe in karma, is not giving a power to someone who decides for you. is to make the decision in your 5 senses. just because you want it This goes from suicide to deciding what clothes to wear today. and without thinking that they are my lucky shoes.

9. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

10. As someone who’s attempted suicide, I can say from experience that it was a “solution” that would have robbed me of more good than bad had I been successful.

That’s fales since there are plenty of people in pain who are also against suicide.

You’re mistaking free will with licentiousness. Free will is the ability to do what you ought, NOT the ability to do whatever you want without consequences aka licentiousness. Free will deals with laws since it deals with morality. Licentiousness is the abandonment of morals and laws, which means it’s toxic to society and free will. To say humans have more freedom of self-expression when they have no rules and boundaries to guide them is like saying a train is more self-expressive when there are no tracks to guide it.

11. Ezpz

Ezpz Fapstronaut

No, it is giving power to a religion you may not believe in. Again, it imposes on your own free will. Someone else or some belief system should NOT have the power to tell you how you should handle your own suffering. Religion should be separate from the government.

Even if god forsakes you would you not be forgiven? you are in pain do you not have a right to do something you want about it? what ever you want? its human rights

12. Incluso si Dios te abandona, ¿no serás perdonado? estás dolorido ¿no tienes derecho a hacer algo que quieras al respecto? ¿lo que quieras? sus derechos humanos [/ QUOTE]

the fact of thinking that God abandons you I do not believe in the same way. and of course you can decide. as you yourself created yourself destroy yourself, if we have so much power in ourselves it is true that we should have the courage to change our reality since we do not need a superior being, no?

13. Except just being atheist itself doesn't automatically mean most of us would attempt it, either way though the way to prevent that is getting the help these folks need if they're depression is so severe to the point of suicide.

14. my english is a disaster I'm sorry jajajajaja

15. Who here has created themselves and thus willed themselves into existence?

16. entonces vas por la evolución?

17. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

I don't think he's claiming that atheists are suicidal, he's just claiming that from an atheistic POV, suicide is the logical answer to extreme suffering. Where as from a religious perspective, it is not.

18. With the belief that it is, I will not want to enter into a debate of evolution vs. God, because it publishes a phrase (even an atheist needs God to deny it). What I am going to do is that no person is exempt from considering something like suicide, that most are under depression or other things. but it's still the easiest way

19. Ezpz

Ezpz Fapstronaut

20. First off the belief in evolution doesn’t negate a belief in God, and secondly neither creation sources demonstrate a time when mankind willed itself into existence SO no one can say they created themselves.

vxlccm and Deleted Account like this.