Reading Challenge [2023]

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by FallingPetals, Jun 26, 2023.

1. Ank07

Ank07 Fapstronaut

This seems interesting. I think I will read more if I will be part of this challenge. I don't have any fix number for reading books this year. And I usually read one chapter of a book at a time. I love to read any kind of genre :) but more into self-improvement stuff. Right now I am reading Rich-Dad Poor-Dad. If anyone have any suggestions for me, I would love to know them. Thanks :)

One Eyed Owl, Ūruz and FallingPetals like this.
  2. FallingPetals

FallingPetals Fapstronaut

Day 6 (7/7)
    Reading book ST
    :emoji_white_check_mark:10 min

One Eyed Owl and Ūruz like this.
  3. Nearly done with my current book, around 40 pages left so should be done tomorrow.

4. FallingPetals

Welcome! Nice to have more people in :) Hope you find it beneficial to be here (its certainly helping me) and all the best for your reading goals!

5. FallingPetals

Just another update:
    I am 4/15 done with this challenge (that's 26.6 percent!) and I am so happy I decided to start reading again. The first day was almost emotional. I think I forget that I really do enjoy reading. It was really refreshing.
    I don't think I am the kind to read a lot at once or maybe I am not there yet but there are different types of readers and thats okay.

I feel like the reason why I do not read or am not able to get back to it after a long gap is because I always, unintentionally put pressure on myself as if I need to really absorb the messages in the book and learn from them, and highlight, and take notes and stuff like that which makes me procrastinate it. So I am trying to let go of all these expectations.

I do have the habit of using my pencil to underline any key points I find and I am still doing that hehe. But mainly, the goal is progress. Not perfection.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2023
  6. Finished Offspring, pretty good read, I'll give it a 7/10. Next up I'm rereading The Crossing by Cormac McCarthy, a book that went over my head when I read it the first time a few years back. We'll see what I think of it now.

7. FallingPetals

Day 7 (8/7)
    Reading book ST

One Eyed Owl, Ūruz and Ank07 like this.
  8. Ank07

Ank07 Fapstronaut

I finish Rich Dad Poor Dad today and I will be start reading Old Man and the Sea. It is a small book, but densely written. Hopefully this will finish soon.

9. FallingPetals

Day 8 (9/7)
    Reading book ST

Its actually a little more than 10 min Alhamdulillah

starting a new book side by side
    Its not that long
    DDFD

One Eyed Owl, Ank07 and Ūruz like this.
  10. FallingPetals

Awesome!!!

11. Musta

Musta Fapstronaut

Chapter 1 - Maximize minimal potential.
    In this chapter Goggins talks about his past. How low his potential was. And how he came to the conclusion that it's all in his hands what to do with what he has. He is a real inspiration.

12. hiimbubbles

hiimbubbles Fapstronaut

I have a friend who reccomended I check out Ryan Holiday's work so i ordered his 3 book box set looking forward to getting them I do like his youtube channel

13. Yesterday I read 37 pages of The Crossing, today I read around 15. I'm technically not on track for my daily goal but honestly I find I enjoy some books more when I read them less over a longer period of time. I'm trying to find a happy medium between reading every day and not beating myself up for not reading "enough."

14. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

My goal is to read for an hour a day. The longest streak has been 7 days in a row.

I'm reading the following books:

The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt
    Failosophy by Elizabeth Day
    The Lie Tree by Frances Hardinge

15. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

You might find the app Read More helpful. It's what I use to help me reach my reading goals.

16. FallingPetals

Thanks for the suggestion
    I did download the app but idk its not running very smoothly

For now, I am tracking my reading in my bullet journal and enjoying the process so far. It was difficult to find the ten minutes during the day, to read, but then my niece (biggest distraction) saw me doing it and decided to join in and now we have a 10-15 min silent reading session together which is really fun and also helping in developing her reading habits.

17. FallingPetals

Day 9 (10/7)
    Reading book ST
    :emoji_x:

Day 10 (11/7)
    Reading book ST
    Halfway through my goal :)

18. The Crossing is a lot easier to parse on a second read and after I'm more acclimatized to the author's style. 25 pages today, I wanted to read more but I'm very busy recently so I'll take what I can get.

19. It has been a while since I last read, perhaps I should try reading again. Perhaps this is why I fell back down recently.

20. Ūruz

Ūruz Fapstronaut

Skipped the last few days, but I read again yesterday, at late evening, in bed, for an hour. And I read again today morning, before getting up, for about 15 minutes. I'm actually enjoying The Last Wish a lot so far.

One Eyed Owl, FallingPetals and Ank07 like this.