1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Rate the last movie you watched v. 1

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Jan 7, 2018.

1. One Eyed Owl

One Eyed Owl Distinguished Fapstronaut

The Lighthouse 7/10

Really weird movie.

The Prestige 7/10

The ending was not the greatest.

Returning Rebooter likes this.
  2. Interstellar ( 2014)
    5/10 ( Too long for me I didn’t understand it)
    Inception (2010)
    4/10 (Same reason I didn’t understand it)
    Dunkirk (2017)
    6.5/10 (Better movie)

3. Tryingto

Tryingto Fapstronaut

Notting Hill (9/10)

I've watched this at least a dozen times. It's my 'I'm feeling low' go to movie. I know it's rom-com fluff but I love it!

4. Wrath of Man starring Jason Statham.
    Directed by Guy Ritchie.

Plenty of comical ball-busting dialogue.
    Enough of a plot to keep you guessing and engaged. Interesting character story. Somewhat predictable plot twist but overall a good, airtight story with satisfying ending.
    Plenty o action and bullets.

7/10

5. Totalwar03

Totalwar03 New Fapstronaut

6. Joe1023

Joe1023 Fapstronaut

The Whale
    I give it a solid 9 out of 10. I'm not really a drama movie type of guy. I'm VERY picky about dramas. But this one was pretty good.

Brain-Police and bbbsow like this.
  7. bbbsow

bbbsow New Fapstronaut

I just finished watching "Knives Out" and I have to say, it's definitely one of the better movies I've seen in a while. The plot was intriguing and kept me guessing until the very end, and the performances from the all-star cast were top-notch.

The movie had a great balance of humor and suspense, with plenty of unexpected twists and turns to keep me engaged. The characters were all well-developed and had their own unique quirks and personalities, which made them interesting to watch and kept me invested in the story.

One of the things I appreciated about "Knives Out" was its commentary on privilege and entitlement, and how these factors can influence people's actions and attitudes. The movie did a great job of exploring these themes without feeling heavy-handed or preachy.

Overall, I would give "Knives Out" an 8.5/10 rating. It's definitely worth watching if you're a fan of mystery movies or just looking for a well-crafted, entertaining film. I would highly recommend it!

Returning Rebooter likes this.
  8. LostSon41

LostSon41 Fapstronaut

Creed III 8/10
    My favorite Creed by a longshot. Had a pretty predictable plot, used a similar formula to other Rocky/Creed movies however it had a different tone. I liked Dame's character development, although I felt like the forgiveness at the end was sudden.

I think I would have maybe liked the movie a little more had Adonis Creed lost at the end. Movies where the heroes lose always hit the hardest, for big examples Star Wars Episode 3 and Infinity War. Creed losing would have maybe set up an extremely emotional Creed 4.

Either way, a great movie and directorial debut for Michael B Jordan. Can't wait to see where he takes this franchise next!

9. Brain-Police

Brain-Police Fapstronaut

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - David Fincher (10/10)

I have not seen the 2009 Swedish version, so I can't play compare and contrast with that one, nor have I read the book series, even though I own them all. (I will get around to it. Got lots on my plate...) This movie is a rewatching and I come around to it every now and then. Have seen it-a-many-a-times.
    Let me start off and say I am a huge fan of Fincher! Brilliant director and one of the best out there today, and of all time, and I don't say that lightly.
    I have seen all of his films except Alien 3. He disowned that one, and I don't plan on seeing it admittedly because of that. I'll take his word on it.
    But I have seen Se7en (masterpiece), The Game (great), Fight Club (masterpiece), Panic Room, Zodiac (masterpiece), The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Social Network (masterpiece), this one, Gone Girl (great), Mank and I am stoked for "The Killer" coming out soon! I haven't finished Mindhunter, which he directed on some, if not most of the episodes, so I will get to that very soon.
    Fincher is among the very few directors that I keep my ear to the ground for, and his brilliant work is the reason why. He's one of the few consistent, great directors there are, and he is the absolute best that I've seen when it comes serial killers and detective movies so far.
    This movie is about a peculiar woman who has had a rough life who is both aggressive, standoffish, but possesses quite the brilliant mind for investigation named Lisbeth Salander played Rooney Mara,
    And a journalist caught in some trouble named Mikael Blomkvist (Daniel Craig), who both are recruited to solve a murder about a missing woman involving business men, anti-Semites, recluses, and killers of women.
    That's all I'll say, and it is amazing. Well acted, it's a technical marvel, the soundtrack is fantastic, the lighting is cold and isolating and the story is riveting.
    There's a reason I always come back to this movie and will continue to do so. Couldn't recommend enough! I wish Fincher would've made the sequels as he planned.
    For the fact that he won't is a blow and a black eye in the world of film...

[​IMG]

The Wind Rises - Hayao Miyazaki (6/10)

I am not a fan of anime. I used to avoid anime and downright despise about 90% of it because I've always hated the cutesy art style and the over top stylized violence that a lot of them have that made it all seem the more childish than if it didn't have blood, gore, nudity, and stupid ass, edgy dialogue.
    Buuuuut...
    I always go back and give things a chance. Now I know, not all anime is like what I mentioned above, and I know anime is now okay to like these days and it is considered sacrilege to dislike it; so hear me out.
    I like some anime, and I always wanted to know the down and dirty ones and the underground ones. And I will when I get deeper into them. I prefer movies over shows, so I am delving into the movie side of things. Still a rookie and climbing down the rabbithole to see what I like and don't like, and I know I got a long way to go. Like I said, I want to give anime a chance, but I want the niche, fucked up ones. Like AKIRA! FUCKIN' love AKIRA! Grave of the Fireflies is phenomenal! I really liked Barefoot Gen!
    Not the edgy, teen-angsty ones. I always start with the classics in movies in a genre/medium.
    I have seen Miyazaki's "My Neighbor Totoro," and "Spirited Away," both back in 2013, which the latter being downright beautiful. Both good and great films! I liked 'em very much. Haven't seen any of the others, but don't worry, I will be playing catch up very soon as I have been in the movie watching mood.
    The Wind Rises is a true story about a man during WWII who had an obsession and dreams to create practical airplanes that were both fast and beautiful. And he has to choose between his dreams and his personal life. Pretty middle of the road plot, and it was executed... okay.
    The animation was good, gorgeous at times when it came to the planes!
    As for the story, I was expecting something else. Something that had more to do with the moral dilemma of working for the military on making planes, and whether intentionally or unintentionally, making war machines to supply the war effort. Main character was against war, but the film didn't really delve into this. I understand this film is more about a man's dreams, but surely this should've played a part in it too. Instead, Miyazaki mostly paid attention to the love interest and the dream of planes rather than the nightmares of war and destruction themes he built up in the beginning of the movie. I understand that this was a personal project for Miyazaki since it was a metaphor for his own life regarding films instead of planes, and how he pushed aside his own personal life to pursue those dreams, but still. This is why he went into retirement, semi-retirement, and is now finally releasing another film sometime this year.
    Anyways, I was disappointed with this film. Not a bad film, but I wouldn't watch it again. Also, I am not huge into the whimsical and I felt that this movie had a lot of wasted potential of talking about something really unique in the Japanese perspective of WWII, taking another approach besides the Nationalistic front, and it didn't do it.

[​IMG]

Millenium Actress - Satoshi Kon (8/10)

I am a much bigger fan of Satoshi Kon than I am of Miyazaki --though I respect Miyazaki as a director and as a visionary-- and it's because Satoshi goes to places that Miyazaki won't. Satoshi isn't afraid to go dark, bleak, depressing and be obsessive in the outlook of his characters. While Miyazaki looks at the beauty of the light, dreams, and love, Satoshi looks at the beauty of both the light and dark, love and loss, reality and dreams. Satoshi Kon has only directed 4 films, Perfect Blue (great film!), Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, and Paprika. I have yet to see the latter two, and I own them, so I will come back and report on what I think about them soon.

Millennium Actress is about two documentarians who track down a retired, reclusive, legendary, beloved actress so that they can document her background for them for a movie. Reality distorts with fantasy as she recounts both her career and personal life. Beautiful, poetic film. Loved it, and at times, it brought me to tears.
    I recommend this film. It was great. Will watch again.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
    One Eyed Owl likes this.
  10. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

Elvis
    9/10

It's not a documentary, it's a Baz Luhrmann film so not everything in it is factual. I don't mind that being the case and watching it made me want to find out what actually happened with Elvis. It does a good job of showing how groundbreaking and shocking Elvis was at the time. At first, I thought it was weird that Doja Cat was on the soundtrack rapping but the more I listened to her song the more I liked it. I ended up downloading the soundtrack and it's one of my most listened albums at the moment.

11. TheLoneWolf88

TheLoneWolf88 Fapstronaut

Speed 8/10

Never gets old. One of the rare movies where we hear good old Keanu regularly swear

12. Brain-Police

Brain-Police Fapstronaut

28 Days Later - Danny Boyle (10/10)

The movie that revamped and restarted the zombie craze when people have all, but forgotten about it back in the early 2000's!
    The zombie craze is long dead by now, and some say it was due to over-saturation (yes and thankfully it died. It outworn its welcome), some say it was because of THE WALKING DEAD that killed it. Well, there are some saying it might spark back the zombie trend due to the show The Last of Us.
    I don't know. I haven't seen it myself nor played the games, so I can't comment.
    28 Days Later was the movie that made infected people (zombies) run fast, and all you need to be infected yourself is getting bitten, or allowing any of their blood to enter any of your crevices. It truly gave zombies a different dimension and holy shit, if these fuckers actually existed, I totally believe they could collapse cities, maybe not the whole world, but certain cities around the world? Hell yeah!
    The movie is about scientists testing on monkeys about this virus called RAGE. It breaks out and the main character Jim wakes up in a hospital 28 days later after infection spreads and finds himself in a totally different world than what he expected.
    This movie is a rewatching for me. Don't know how many times I've seen this movie, but it's been a lot, and I always return to this movie every now and then.
    This movie is a classic, a horror masterpiece, and truth be told, the best zombie movie ever! Yes, I've seen the Romero zombie flicks, and yes they are the OG's
    And I salute them, but this one recreated the zombie genre like Resident Evil did for videogames and goddamn, was it glorious!
    Beautifully directed by Mr. Boyle with a great balance of existentialism, dread, beauty, poetry and the need for human connection. It's quite the compassionate film, something you wouldn't expect.
    Such a fantastic film. One where I believe everybody has to see at least twice in their life.
    And the 1 hour and 30 minute mark, from that point until 1 hour and 50 minutes is some of the most badass, greatest scenes I have seen in movies!
    I won't spoil it but man, it gets intense! Soundtrack captures the dread and beauty! As long as Halloween exists, this movie will continue to be watched.

[​IMG]

The Social Network - David Fincher (10/10)

Another David Fincher entry. I have been in the mood for his films lately, and this is a film that when I first saw it, I found it to be quite disappointing
    After seeing so many rave reviews calling it the best of the decade. I saw it around 2014 I believe, and I fell asleep in parts, woke up, rewinded it, fell asleep again, and finished it. Found it to be stupid. Movie about some tech geeks getting rich and suing each other over royalties, rights and property theft?
    You want me to care about these snobby, pretentious motherfuckers?
    You want me to see these guys as the new rock stars? As badasses?
    Zuckerberg? Sean Parker? Pbbbbtttt...
    I did not give a shit... not the first time.
    I decided to watch it again because it was Fincher and I wanted to believe that those reviews and critics and audiences weren't full of shit.
    So, in the second viewing, I liked it a whole lot more. Found it to be funny, interesting and intriguing how a movie about Facebook set in flashbacks
    And in courtrooms could keep your attention the whole time. It did. I liked it, but didn't hit me as great, just very good and well written.
    I thought I missed a lot so I watched it a 3rd time, I believe, 3 years down the line and fell in love with it.
    The movie encapsulated and predicted our relationship with social media and how it would impact our personal and interpersonal lives.
    How anti-social it is making us, and all for the sake of being cool, hip, being in the in-crowd and attractive.
    The movie, just like other Fincher films, is a dissection of the characters, how the audience is going to perceive them, how the characters see each other and themselves, and how society views them in their world and how they view society.
    It has a lot of similarities with Fight Club when it comes to the characters and their worldviews.
    I won't spoil it but i needed to watch it 3 times to catch on to the similarities. That's all I'll say.
    So, this is another thing I agree on with the mainstream, this is not only a masterpiece, this is the best film of 2010's.
    Bold statement, I know, when there's The Master, & Inherent Vice both from the great, legendary Paul Thomas Anderson!
    There's The Irishman, & The Wolf of Wall St. from the great Martin Scorsese!
    There's Inside Llewyn Davis, Hail, Caesar, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, & The Tragedy of Macbeth from the fantastic Coen Brothers!
    There's Snowpiercer, Okja, & Parasite from the badass, and master Bong Joon-Ho!
    And last, Stoker, & The Handmaiden from another master Park Chan Wook!
    And also movies from Lars Von Trier, Martin McDonagh! So many, but I still believe Social Network has trumped 'em all, even by a little, because there are films I just mentioned that can beat it out given the right argument and rewatching, like The Master.
    It's close between those two. Wolf of Wall St is a good contender as well...
    It's not the plot that makes this movie so damn great, it's the details, the characters and their sociological dissection!
    Great soundtrack, beautifully shot, cold, dark, brooding and incredibly insightful!
    This is, maybe, my 20th rewatching. I have lost count, so I don't know the real number...

[​IMG]

The Founder - John Lee Hancock (7.8/10)

I watched this when it came out back in 2017 in theaters, and have watched it maybe 3 more times since then.
    Great movie. Michael Keaton kills it as well as all the other actors and actresses in it!
    Your regular, rise-of-a-business man with endless ambition and all the nastiness that goes with it, and the fall of others because of it plot.
    All creation-myths need a devil; who better than Ray Kroc?
    The man behind McDonald's explosion and success! The man who is Mr. Business, Monopoly penny-bags himself!
    The movie is about Ray Kroc's journey of becoming "the Founder" of McDonald's when he comes across Mac and Dick McDonald's OG restaurant
    McDonalds in San Bernadino.
    It's a great little history on the biggest fast food chain in the world and how it changed food and the business (business in general) of food forever!
    Also, whether this was their intention or not, (i think it was...) was that it basically told us that Ray Kroc is the true American dream.
    The dream isn't to work hard, move up the ladder, get a house, wife, kids
    And be the smiling happy family in front of a picket fence and you'll be fulfilled!
    Nor is it being a movie star, rock star and being famous. No.
    It is stealing an idea/business off of the practical, the brilliant, the unspoken genius and franchise, shrink-wrap, and sell it by the truckloads
    To those who believe you're the mastermind behind it all.
    Lie your ass off and say you started the idea and shut down and buy off anybody who says otherwise.
    Thank you Ray Kroc! Needed that great reminder of what it means to be an American!
    Who says the American dream is dead?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
    Tryingto likes this.
  13. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
    8/10

For a sequel, it's pretty good. Not as bad as some people made it out to be.

14. Khufu

Khufu Fapstronaut

My Journal
    venom:let there be carnage, i liked it,thou there was a line in there i wished i didnt hear but overall great.I give it 3 out of 5 projectors

:emoji_movie_camera::emoji_movie_camera::emoji_movie_camera:
    venom:let there be carnage, i liked it,thou there was a line in there i wished i didnt hear but overall great.I give it 3 out of 5 projectors

:emoji_movie_camera::emoji_movie_camera::emoji_movie_camera:

Last edited: May 21, 2023
  15. The Martian: 7/10
    Pretty decent movie. I still don't understand how the protagonist, Mark watney kept his goofy ass character even in the tough conditions on Mars where he had very less chances of survival.

16. EmperorLaStrang

EmperorLaStrang Fapstronaut

The 12 Monkeys

10/10

u376 likes this.
  17. The matrix
    I would like to give 5 star rating to this movie

18. TheLoneWolf88

TheLoneWolf88 Fapstronaut

Out of 5?

19. Khufu

Khufu Fapstronaut

My Journal
    i watch the tommorrow war for the 10th time becasue its a 5 out of 5 .Chris pratt is the man,when comes to sci fi
    :emoji_movie_camera::emoji_movie_camera::emoji_movie_camera::emoji_movie_camera::emoji_movie_camera:

20. 3nigma

3nigma Fapstronaut

Indiana Jones: The Last Crusade
    10/10
    I love this movie. No woke garbage.

{Ananta} likes this.